Author Topic: Beethoven Symphony No.9  (Read 51965 times)

Offline the_doc

Re: Beethoven Symphony No.9
« Reply #325 on: June 19, 2016, 08:00:18 pm »
I prefer Chopin

Chopin: Polonaise No.6 in A flat, Op.53 -"Heroic"

I love Beethoven, but I'm more of a Chopin guy (I especially like his first Ballade), with Brahms and Rachmaninoff tied for number 2 in my book.

BTW, Helene Grimaud did a surprisingly good performance of Ballade No.1 when she was only about 17 years old (see youtube). 

Female pianists, BTW, are surging in our day. (Check out Valentina Lisitsa, probably the world's foremost Rachmaninoff pianist at this time.  She has a big following on Youtube, with a meteoric rise in the concert world after she made a self-funded CD with the London Symphony.  Her videotaped recording session of the 18th Variation of Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini is especially nice.) 

Offline Leto

"If the devil can keep you from asking the right question he never has to worry about the answer"

THe Screwtape Letters

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #327 on: June 25, 2016, 12:13:55 am »
For a period of time about forty years ago I used to come home from work, wash up, eat, and put on the Ninth.  Never get tired of hearing it.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 12:21:09 am by goatprairie »

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #328 on: October 15, 2016, 08:14:00 am »
My favorite Beethoven 9th was the 1963 by the Berlin Symphony Karajan at his peak IMO.

You Tube used to have the full 5th symphony Karajan rendition.  IMO was greatest live musical performance of anything, anywhere, anyhow.

Brought chills.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Leto

« Reply #330 on: October 19, 2016, 04:44:35 pm »
Just purchased it, thank you.

THe Berlin Philharmonic 9th from 1963 is also offered as a complete set of all 9 symphonies, I used to see the set for $39.

Enjoy, the Bohm performance is also included as a complete set.
"If the devil can keep you from asking the right question he never has to worry about the answer"

THe Screwtape Letters

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #331 on: March 14, 2017, 12:05:01 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB2_hoTCM9k

1043 3rd movement begins at 10 minutes 4 seconds.  (double allegro)

« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 12:16:09 am by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #332 on: March 14, 2017, 12:30:25 am »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #333 on: March 14, 2017, 12:46:39 am »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #334 on: April 16, 2017, 03:54:44 pm »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #335 on: September 11, 2018, 12:38:48 am »
! No longer available

AIR - J.S. Bach  Classical Guitar - Per-Olov Kindgren

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #336 on: September 23, 2018, 04:12:56 pm »
! No longer available

Pierre Rode Violin Concerto 10 en Si m.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #337 on: September 23, 2018, 05:17:17 pm »

THe Berlin Philharmonic 9th from 1963 is also offered as a complete set of all 9 symphonies, I used to see the set for $39.

Enjoy, the Bohm performance is also included as a complete set.
On a trip out west with the wife the last three weeks, I listened to his ninth twice in one week.  Chicago Symphony Orchestra.  Great performance.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #338 on: September 23, 2018, 06:01:09 pm »
I caught the Rode violin concerto on the classical radio station today

http://weta.org/fm

I noted the time and checked the playlist for today at the above link.

It was raining steadily...and the roads had no shoulders double line forests and hills around Thurmont, Maryland....it was so relaxing. especially the 1st movement or 1st selection.   

Offline Absalom

« Reply #339 on: September 23, 2018, 11:12:55 pm »
Serious people absorb serious music.
A suggestion for those newly acquainted.
Listen to the composers of the Baroque!!!
As o/s as Ludwig was; the rhythm and harmony
of Franz Jozef Haydn is unsurpassed.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #340 on: September 24, 2018, 03:22:54 pm »
Serious people absorb serious music.
A suggestion for those newly acquainted.
Listen to the composers of the Baroque!!!
As o/s as Ludwig was; the rhythm and harmony
of Franz Jozef Haydn is unsurpassed.

@Absalom

Love Haydn. 

But I'm drawn more toward Vivaldi.

Scotch vs Bourbon, I guess.    :laugh:

Offline Absalom

« Reply #341 on: September 24, 2018, 09:01:20 pm »
@Absalom

Love Haydn. 

But I'm drawn more toward Vivaldi.

Scotch vs Bourbon, I guess.    :laugh:
---------------------------
Or perhaps it's simply different grades of 5 Star Brandy!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #342 on: September 24, 2018, 11:55:45 pm »
bkmk
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #343 on: May 19, 2019, 06:38:04 pm »

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

My new ringtone.....Now, I NEVER answer the phone!

Handel - Arrival of the Queen of Sheba

This is part of a SIX (6) CD pack being offered by Classical WETA 90.0 FM  http://weta.org/fm

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #344 on: May 19, 2019, 07:06:49 pm »
I heard this on Sunday late morning.....it made me stop in my tracks.

What a mind!  What a period to live in.

@DCPatriot

Beethoven was completely deaf when he composed it.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline the_doc

« Reply #346 on: May 26, 2019, 08:10:13 pm »
A Concert for Scotland

Bruch's "Scottish Fantasy" is my second favorite violin piece.  (My number one is the Chaconne movement from Bach's Unaccompanied Violin Partita in D Minor.)

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #347 on: March 06, 2022, 04:33:08 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba4WzGC692c

Francois Boieldieu - Concert for Harp & Strings in C - III. Allegro agitato (Marisa Robles)

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #348 on: March 06, 2022, 07:01:42 pm »
Ode to Joy  (from Immortal Beloved)

In Vienna, he couldn't hear it.  But as a youngster in Bonn, he definitely experienced it it.

This always brings tears to my eyes.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #349 on: March 06, 2022, 07:16:33 pm »
Ode to Joy  (from Immortal Beloved)

In Vienna, he couldn't hear it.  But as a youngster in Bonn, he definitely experienced it it.

This always brings tears to my eyes.

@Hoodat

Beautiful!