Author Topic: Beethoven Symphony No.9  (Read 51966 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Beethoven Symphony No.9
« on: April 12, 2011, 12:32:53 am »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

Re: Beethoven Symphony No.9
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 12:34:39 am »
I heard this on Sunday late morning.....it made me stop in my tracks.

What a mind!  What a period to live in.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 12:56:51 am »

Vivaldi - Ouvertures - L'Incoronazione di Dario RV 719

Vivaldi is credited for being an inspiration to the GREATS!   J.S. Bach, Beethoven, Mozart!

edit: 4/23/11 ------  LOL!  I've been humming this all day!  Gave me a helluva ear worm last night!

« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 12:23:33 am by DCPatriot »

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 01:05:23 am »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 01:20:31 am »

Yundi Li - Chopin "Fantasie" Impromptu, Op. 66

This is wonderful, IMO.  

NOTE:  If you add &emt=18 to the YouTube url link in the top window, and hit 'enter', you'll always hear it in "stereo"  Personally, it seems they just add a little reverb

remarks at YouTube...

Of course no video collection would be complete without the cliche Yundi Li video of him playing Chopin's "Fantasie" Impromptu in C-sharp minor, Op. 66 No. 4 This is one of my favorite pieces.

did you know: Chopin hated this piece? He composed it when he was just 24 and regretted it ever after.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 07:01:00 pm by DCPatriot »

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 01:45:35 am »
love that too...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 01:59:06 am »
Beethoven Symphony No.9

I would say this is probably my favorite piece of music.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 02:15:10 am »
I would say this is probably my favorite piece of music.

Same here, Sabre!  Glad you enjoyed it!

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 02:21:48 am »
Same here, Sabre!  Glad you enjoyed it!

I was always the nerd as the kid.  Loved classical music while everyone else followed whichever trend was the most popular at the time.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 02:35:24 am »
I was always the nerd as the kid.  Loved classical music while everyone else followed whichever trend was the most popular at the time.

That doesn't surprise me....just getting to "know" you over the years.

I wish I had been exposed to it at an earlier age.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 02:39:16 am »
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 06:18:20 pm by DCPatriot »

Online DCPatriot

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 03:33:00 am »

Vivaldi - Concerto for Two Violins in A Minor RV522

Understandable that Vivaldi inspired the greats!  Third movement!  Wow! (Starts at 6:13)

This has to be the GREATEST piece of music I've ever heard!  All 3 movements!

replies at YouTube:

my old violin just spontaneously combusted in its case
shithappens17 1 day ago

Was this music inspired by the Visitation of St.Mary to St.Elizabeth?

lyziette 1 week ago

ANTONIO VIVALDI (1678-1741)

Concerto for two violins, strings, and basso continuo in A minor RV522 Op. 3 No. 8 "L'estro Armonico"

1. Allegro

2. Larghetto e spiritoso

3. Allegro

Performed by Tafelmusik
Featuring Jeanne Lamon and Genevieve Gilardeau, violins
Conducted by Jeanne Lamon

« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 02:24:15 am by DCPatriot »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 04:11:23 am »

Vivaldi - Concerto for Piccolo and Strings in C Major RV 443 (2/3)

I see where Serge Leone got his music for his Spaghetti Westerns.... you can see Clint Eastwood walking to the middle of the street...cigar and poncho...squinting those eyes.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 11:39:36 pm by DCPatriot »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2011, 04:16:02 am »

Vivaldi - Four Seasons (Winter)

A standing ovation for this one!   blij26

Turn those speakers up!

recent comments on YouTube:

the expression on his face at 1:46 is just exceptional
    TheTwelfthApostle 1 day ago 15

when he starts to shred at 0:47 i get goose bumps. excellent performance of an excellent piece
    ThePondDogs 4 days ago 14

Goose bumps....eyes water!  Excellent piece!

And the painter at 4:02......what he was painting!  And where Picasso may have gotten his inspiration...at 5:01
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 01:08:59 am by DCPatriot »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 04:28:19 am »
 Beethoven was a genius..... pure and simple.  I always marvel where artistic genius eminates from..... musical and otherwise.  My husband used to say it flows out the fingertips, you don't think about it, it just happens, can't explain it.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 11:23:18 pm »
Beethoven was a genius..... pure and simple.  I always marvel where artistic genius eminates from..... musical and otherwise.  My husband used to say it flows out the fingertips, you don't think about it, it just happens, can't explain it.

Beethoven's 5th Symphony

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2011, 11:25:28 pm »

The interesting aspect about Beethoven was that single women were banned from his concerts,
It was believed to be so passionate that it would drive them into a state of uncontrollable lust.

In one of the remarks on the YouTube link

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2011, 11:36:40 pm »
There is a fine line between madness and genius, he was a genius. 
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2011, 12:27:45 am »
There is a fine line between madness and genius, he was a genius. 

There's so may shades in between, though.

My best friend as a teenager was...believe it or not....my barber.

There's a connection....so I hope I'm not boring the hell out of you.

He worked in a shop with 4 chairs.  There were enough chairs in the waiting area to seat maybe 10-12 people.  On a Saturday afternoon, you couldn't even find a place to stand....let alone sit.  And two of the barbers were sitting in their own chairs.....watching Gino.  All were waiting for Gino....who was always 2 hours behind.

He did all the news and sports announcers.....all the Buffalo Bills.  Jack Kemp used to go to him.  Until he threw him out of the shop one day.

One day, he saw a woman waiting for a bus with a short, beautiful Vidal Sassoon geometric cut.  Now remember.....he was already 'famous' in the area.

Even though he looked like a very young Michael Landon....and now an older Brad Pitt....and could literally charms your pants off...when he had the scissors is his hand, ANYTHING COULD HAPPEN.

When he found out who had cut her hair, he went to the haircutter and it changed his life.

He immediately began to advertise to cut women's hair.  He went to London and San Fransisco to the Sassoon Academy.  He slowly weeded out all the men customers by raising the prices.  And he's booked at least a month in advance.

I recall back in the 70's he'd have women crying in the chair.  If his 2nd or 3rd attempt to console her didn't work....he'd threaten to put the scissors down and make her leave....half done and wet.  And with little or no tact.

Didn't bother him whatsoever.  Most of them ended up sending him roses, bottles of wine and an apology begging forgiveness.

Back then...his sound system was records.  GOD FORBID should his assistant forget to turn down the volume while selecting certain songs on the album.  It was that simple thing that could completely unhinge him.

He refused to speak to his client once he picked up the scissors.  No small talk....no phone calls.....no interruptions.  He was .....composing?

Summary......he was a genius at his craft....but as charming as he was....you had a better chance of seeing an a$$hole in the shop on any given busy afternoon.

He went through assistants and hired help like no other.  But he loved women and it showed in his work everyday.

Wonder if Beethoven was an bleep to his circle of influence.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2011, 01:06:11 am »

Great story, no it did not bore me.  I will only tell you whether a musical genius, artistic genius or other form of genius, they do not like being told what to do or how to do it, so yes.... from what I have read he was capricious like most geniuses.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2011, 02:43:10 am »

Vivaldi - Violin Concerto Op.3, No. 12 in E Major, RV 265 (3/3)

Exquisite! nice slide show of Venice.

http://www.baroquemusic.org/bqxvivaldi.html  - bio of "The Red Priest"

excerpt here:

Antonio Vivaldi was born in Venice on March 4th, 1678. Though ordained a priest in 1703, according to his own account, within a year of being ordained Vivaldi no longer wished to celebrate mass because of physical complaints ("tightness of the chest") which pointed to angina pectoris, asthmatic bronchitis, or a nervous disorder. It is also possible that Vivaldi was simulating illness - there is a story that he sometimes left the altar in order to quickly jot down a musical idea in the sacristy.... In any event he had become a priest against his own will, perhaps because in his day training for the priesthood was often the only possible way for a poor family to obtain free schooling.

Though he wrote many fine and memorable concertos, such as the Four Seasons and the Opus 3 for example, he also wrote many works which sound like five-finger exercises for students. And this is precisely what they were.

The reputation of baroque Venice as a musical centre was one of the highest in Europe, due largely to its four conservatories of music. Beginning as charitable foundations they developed gradually as seats of musical learning, and by the early 1700s their excellence was unrivalled. This was confirmed by Charles de Brosses, French Magistrate and President of the Parlement de Dijon, who visited Italy in 1739, reporting in his Lettres familières écrites d'Italie and published posthumously in 1799, that "the Ospedali have the best music here. There are four of them, all for illegitimate or orphaned girls whose parents cannot support them. These are brought up at the State's expense and trained exclusively in music. Indeed they sing like angels, play the violin, flute, organ, oboe, cello, bassoon... The performances are entirely their own and each concert is composed of about forty girls."

Antonio Lucio Vivaldi (1678-1741)

"Violin Concerto Op.3, No. 12 in E Major", RV 265

Mov III. - Allegro

Performed by Yehudi Menuhin (1916-1999)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 07:16:25 pm by DCPatriot »

Online DCPatriot

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2011, 04:06:12 am »

Concerto pour deux mandolines - Antonio Vivaldi

IMHO, these are all great to have playing in the background while you're surfing.

I have double wide-screen monitors so that you can do a full screen on them while the other screen is for your work.  Some of the videos that were made to them are incredible.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2011, 04:29:33 am »

La Campanella by Yundi Li

Franz Liszt must have been a masochist.  Incredible speed necessary and Li nails it.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 01:01:08 pm by DCPatriot »