Author Topic: Politics and Celebrity Collide  (Read 58088 times)

Online mountaineer

Politics and Celebrity Collide
« on: February 19, 2011, 07:37:33 pm »
This is a place to put stories about celebrities, especially those who weigh in on matters of politicial importance, from Sean Penn blathering about his boyfriend Hugo Chavez to the daily ditz of "The View."

Today's offering: Canadian teen pop star Justin Bieber expressed some opinions in an interview with Rolling  Stone magazine.  Some of his opinions - whether completely and accurately reported or not - drew some attention.  BigHollywood's Oceander Loesch comments:
Yes, This: In Defense of Justin Bieber

So here goes. The other day CBC contacted me for a response on something or other teen pop sensation Justin Bieber had said in Rolling Stone. He’d said something about health care the producer said, and had knocked America’s health care system while extolling the virtues of “free” (and broke) Canadian health care. I shrugged it off and as I was sick and had a cramped schedule that night, declined the interview. I thought how Hillarycare was headline-rampant back when I was about Bieber’s age and how I wouldn’t have wanted my developing understanding of such a complex issue under national scrutiny.

The next day I began seeing headlines like this one in my RSS reader and I felt a pang of regret, a missed opportunity to stand up for someone. His quotes?

On abortion: “I really don’t believe in abortion. I think [an embryo] is a human. It’s like killing a baby.”

On abortion in cases of rape: “Um. Well, I think that’s really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don’t know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven’t been in that position, so I wouldn’t be able to judge that.”

This kid, I thought, is going to be devoured.
Here Is the Abortion Conversation Justin Bieber Will Be Apologizing for TomorrowCraft your own publicist-approved clarification and apology in the comments!

Why exactly would he feel the need to apologize for this tomorrow? Is the concept of having the balls to stand up for what you believe such a foreign concept to Hollywood that they feel the need to expect a PR-crafted spin on the truth the moment it’s uttered? Why the hell is Rolling Stone grilling him about policy that they themselves don’t even understand? He’s a teenager. Touring the world and selling boatloads of albums, but a teenager, nonetheless. Sure, many would disagree with his remarks (which seeemed facetiously made) on health care – though to his credit, he himself admits that he doesn’t know what he doesn’t know, more than the poseurs scripting the article will admit, the same folks who will try to ensnare him with his own remarks the following day.

I tell you one sure way to make your ideology unattractive: freak out as exampled above over a teenager’s answer. In a culture that gave us “Skins” and the rehashed, second coming of Ace of Base/Grace Jones/ Madonna, celebrate the little things as a step in the opposite direction of that. I’d hate to see people make a bigger deal over his non-understanding of health care rather than his remarks on life. The latter is huge. He’s a teenager. Give him a break.

Life isn’t like the complexity of nationalized health care where “free” isn’t free; life is a simple issue: you want choice, go to Walmart and choose your brand of condom, diaphragm, lube, et al. Considering that the majority of abortions are obtained solely as a form of birth control, it’s hardly any sort of women’s rights issue – oh, unless the woman in question is the female in utero. And considering worldwide that the female sex is the one obliterated by “choice,” I’d only call it a “women’s rights” issue with extreme sarcasm.

So congratulations to Bieber who is, at the tender age of 16, more of a man than most of the scrubs in Hollywood. The cool thing is that he’s not alone: many of his exact demographic feel the same way.

Shame on the media for trying to paint a target on a 16-year-old. In a world of self-aggrandizing, plasticine brands, it’s refreshing to see a glimmer of something real. When you see that, speak up for it. Loudly.

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mountaineer

Re: Politics and Celebrity Collide
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 09:23:07 pm »
Brace Yourself, ‘Glee’ Fans — Sarah Palin’s Headed To McKinley High!

It may be just a parody, but we’re sure the real Sarah will get plenty fired up by it!
Gleeks — get ready for Sarah Palin to inject some venom into your favorite show!

Casting calls have been put out for a new character on Glee named Tammy Jean, described as a “recent Tea Party candidate and home schooler — a Sarah Palin type,” Movieline reports. The season two episode will begin shooting Feb. 22.

Glee has been less than kind to Sarah in the past, as illustrated by Sue Sylvester’s season one quip that two of her Cheerios are “the stupidest teens I’ve ever encountered — and that’s saying something. I once taught a cheerleading seminar to Sarah Palin.”

Who do you think would be a good choice to play the Sarah knockoff? It will be hard for anyone to match Tina Fey’s epic impersonation, but we’re open for suggestions!
link
Tammy Jean sounds more like a Southern stereotype, but what do you expect.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 06:12:19 am »
With that name Tammy Fae Baker comes to mind more than Palin.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 06:20:30 am »
Actually, what's more amazing here is that, in 2 short years, Sarah Palin has become a cultural point of reference - to quote from the daft casting call, "a Sarah Palin type."  In other words, she is attaining the same sort of stature that Google has, now that searching for something online is also popularly known as "googling" for something.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 01:14:40 pm »
Well, this seems about right.  :thud:
Kathy Griffin, Loretta Divine to Guest Star on 'Glee'

4:47 PM 2/19/2011 by Annie Yuan, Hollywood Reporter

They will play judges on the show's upcoming "regionals" episode.

Fox has put Kathy Griffin and Loretta Divine on the judging panel for Glee's regionals competition.

TV Guide confirmed that Griffin will play Tammy Jean, a conservative home-schooling Tea Party candidate rumored to be based on Sarah Palin, while Devine will take on the role of a stripper-turned-nun named Sister Mary Constance.

Griffin took to Twitter to announce the news. When asked if she would be appearing on the hit show she replied, "So excited!! It's true!!"

The McKinley High Glee Club learned in the recent episode "Comeback" that the Regionals theme would be "anthems." There has been no word yet as to when the show will air.
Bashing Palin and mocking the Catholic Church, looks like a two-fer.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 01:18:52 pm »
Hollywood Reporter
He'll bring a wealth of relevant experience to the post.   whistle
MPAA Close to Naming Chris Dodd Its New Chairman (Report)

An announcement may be made early this week.

The Motion Picture Association of America is close to naming former Democratic senator Chris Dodd as its new chairman, the New York Times reports, citing two people with knowledge of the matter.

A contract announcement may come early this week.

An MPAA spokesperson had no comment. A rep for Dodd could not be reached.

The organization has been looking for a new chairman for roughly a year.

Dodd is known for working with both sides of the political aisle and is also connected in the nation's capital, characteristics the MPAA values. Dodd has had a long career in the Senate and worked multiple terms in Congress. He campaigned to run for president in 2008.

But he doesn't just have connections win politics. The ex-Connecticut senator is also friends with Saturday Night Live creator Lorne Michaels.

If a deal comes through, Dodd would be replacing Dan Glickman.

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 01:45:19 pm »
MPAA Close to Naming Chris Dodd Its New Chairman

One fantasy-maker meets another?  A match made in fantasy?

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 09:41:24 pm »
Well, this seems about right.  :thud:Bashing Palin and mocking the Catholic Church, looks like a two-fer.

Kathy Griffin is certainly obsessed with Palin isn't she?
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 02:35:09 pm »
Rosie splits with lover Tracy
 February 21, 2011

Rosie O'Donnell has split with her girlfriend of over a year, Tracy Kachtick- Anders, sources tell Page Six.

The comedienne, multimedia star and former TV talk-show host, who has four children, confirmed in January last year that she was dating Tracy, a Texas artist and mother of six.

She made the announcement after they were spotted holding hands in Miami in December 2009, and soon their combined brood of 10 kids became one big family.

But sources tell us they recently parted ways, with Tracy living at a separate house with her children, while she and Rosie, who lives in Nyack and on Miami's Star Island, remain on good terms.

A rep for O'Donnell told us, "Rosie and Tracy never officially lived under one roof. They have lived near one another for quite some time, and their families still socialize and they see each other frequently."

But a source said, "They have definitely split up, but it is very complicated because their kids are very close. They still spend a lot of time together." The insider noted that Rosie still has pictures of her and Tracy together on her blog.

Tracy is active in parenting issues. She launched Open Arms Campaign, a nonprofit organization to recruit adoptive families in the LGBT community.

Rosie has four kids with ex-wife Kelli Carpenter, with whom she split in October 2009. After announcing her new relationship, O'DonNell said, "Tracy has six kids, she lives next door . . . It's a lot! We're the Gay-dy Bunch! It's a challenge, but when you fall in love with someone, they come with a whole bunch of things, including children" -- adding that she fell for Tracy because of her love for kids.

On her radio show, O'Donnell went on to describe Kachtick-Anders as a "lovely, lovely, lovely, lovely person," adding, "I love it all. It's almost too good to be true!"
NY Post

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 09:00:39 pm »
When her kids grow up and write their tell-all it will be another mommie dearest is my hunch.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 01:07:46 pm »
"30 Rock" had big plans for its 100th episode airing on April 20. The team led by star and executive producer Tina Fey was hoping to land an appearance by Bill Clinton.

"They hoped he would appear next week to shoot the episode," an insider said. "They included him on the call list, but it didn't happen."

Regis Philbin and Sherri Shepherd were also named as possible guests. Sources said Fey wrote to Clinton advisor Doug Band asking the ex-prez to come on.

A Clinton rep said, "The request was made and immediately denied without asking him."
NY Post, Page Six

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 08:14:40 pm »
good.........

Oceander

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 10:49:41 pm »
NY Post

Boy, funny how you can "morph" a series of one-year liaisons into "marriages" when left-wing queers are involved.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 04:18:54 am »
Oh my, just watching The Good Wife and they have a scene at the beginning where they get  new client -- Lou Dobbs -- and who comes in at the same time -- Joe Trippie  :thud:  both playing themselves....... ~LOL~

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 04:20:52 am »
Julianne Moore To Play Sarah Palin In HBO Movie 'Game Change'
http://www.deadline.com ^ | 03-09-2011 | By NELLIE ANDREEVA

Julianne Moore is set to star in HBO Films' Game Change. Directed by Jay Roach, the movie is based on Mark Halperin and John Heilemann’s 2010 book about the 2008 Presidential elections and follows John McCain’s presidential campaign, from his selection of Alaska Governor Sarah Palin as his running mate to their ultimate defeat in the general election.

Danny Strong, who previously wrote the Roach-directed HBO movie Recount, about the aftermath of the 2000 Presidential elections, penned the script for Game Change. Roach is executive producing, with Strong co-executive producing.

So far, Palin has been most famously portrayed on TV by Tina Fey on Saturday Night Live.

Oceander

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 04:36:43 am »
I don't think so.  There is honesty shining in Palin's face; nothing bit irony and conceit in Fey's face.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2011, 03:26:49 am »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1365046/Im-love-Bill-Friends-say-Monica-Lewinsky-got-married-kids.html

'I'm still in love with Bill': Friends say why Monica Lewinsky has never got married or had kids
dailymail ^

The scandal almost destroyed his career and left his presidency permanently tainted. But 15 years on, Bill Clinton’s former intern Monica Lewinsky has not got married or had children because she is reportedly still in love with him and 'always will be'. Miss Lewinsky, 37, has run a successful business, hosted a reality television show and moved overseas - but has never found love, according to friends.

Monica still hasn’t got over Bill and would take him back in a second,’ a friend said. ‘She told me: “There will never be another man in my life that could make me as happy as he did",' the friend told the National Enquirer magazine.

More... 'I had an affair because I love America', claims presidential hopeful Newt Gingrich ‘Monica still carries a torch for him. She’s dated some guys, off and on, since the whole White House mess. But she’s never been able to get Bill out of her heart’. Miss Lewinsky was aged 22 in 1995 when she began working in the White House and had an affair with President Clinton, which he famously denied at first. She now lives in Los Angeles, California, and does not have regular employment, reported the National Enquirer.

She has previously designed handbags and been a pitch woman for Jenny Craig. She also participated in a book, written with Andrew Morton, called Monica's Story, for which she earned a reported $500,000. In 2006 she earned a master's degree in social psychology from the London School of Economics, having shut her handbag line and temporarily moved to England. Mr Clinton was impeached by Republicans in 1998, who tried to throw him out of office. But his wife Hilary said in 2007 that their marriage was 'worth the investment'.

snip..........

Online mountaineer

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2011, 12:18:19 pm »
'All My Children' actor doesn't know what happened to money raised for 9/11 victims
By ISABEL VINCENT and MELISSA KLEIN
 July 3, 2011

Here's one performance that won't win him a Daytime Emmy.

Hunky actor Jack Scalia, who once played Susan Lucci's love interest on "All My Children," started two patriotic charities -- including a 9/11 nonprofit -- but his role as a philanthropist was just an act.

He raised more than $100,000 for military vets and 9/11 victims, yet paid out little -- and now claims he doesn't know what happened to the money.

The IRS just yanked the tax-exempt status from Scalia's 9-11-01 Lest We Forget group because it failed to file a single tax return in its decade of existence. And his Operation American Spirit charity, founded to help wounded vets, was suspended by California authorities because of lapses in paying taxes and fees.

The Brooklyn-born actor, who first gained notice as a Jordache jeans model, started the 9/11 charity in New York soon after the terrorist attacks.

Scalia, who now lives in California, told The Post he "wanted to do something to help." He was living in New York City while starring on "All My Children" as Chris Stamp, and his brother was with the FDNY.

He claims the group collected cash through events such as autograph signings, but he said he had no memory of how much or where it went.

"A little bit came in and went back out," he said.

The group was never incorporated in New York and never registered with the Attorney General's Office, a requirement for soliciting donations in the state. It never filed a tax return, either.

Scalia, who also starred in the 1980s series "Remington Steele," declared bankruptcy in 2004, claiming that, as of May of that year, he had made just $1,400. His assets included a Harley motorcycle and several firearms.

He started Operation American Spirit in 2007 and boasted to the press that he would raise $100 million. He organized a 1,500-mile bike ride in 2007 along the West Coast to raise awareness of wounded vets and made stops at VA hospitals.

But the group fell far short of Scalia's goal, collecting $88,937 in 2007 and $14,490 in 2008, according to its tax filings.

The nonprofit claims it distributed just $5,000 in grants in 2008 to help injured vets, but tax filings provide no details on the recipients of the cash.

Scalia, who is listed as president of the organization, said he didn't know who got the money.

"I was riding my bike and being the spokesperson," he said. "I don't know that end of it."

The charity was based at a sprawling estate and private golf course in Rancho Mirage, Calif., once owned by Edra Blixseth, who dated Scalia.

Blixseth declared bankruptcy and is reportedly at the center of a criminal probe involving millions in loans she took out.

Her former assistant was a board member of Operation American Spirit and her bookkeeper, who is also said to have been questioned by the FBI, incorporated the charity.
New York Post

Online mountaineer

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2011, 12:29:00 pm »
Here's another one. Looks like there's a cottage industry in phony 9/11 charities:
Olympic scheme an ice-capade
By CANDICE M. GIOVE
July 3, 2011

The feds have put a 9/11 charity run by an Olympic figure-skating champion's agent on ice.

Ice princess Tara Modlin, who reps flashy bronze medalist Johnny Weir, latched onto the credibility of a 9/11 dad, Lee Ielpi, to start the charity, 9/11 Families Giving Back, a year after the attacks.

The agent claimed to have raised over $600,000 to provide scholarships and aid to terror victims.

But tax records show no beneficiary ever got a dime.

The IRS just stripped the group of its tax-exempt status for failing to file income reports.

The purported charity, later known as the Heritage Foundation of 9/11, held major fund-raisers called "Stars, Stripes and Skates" events that drew figure skating's biggest names.

She enlisted her longtime friend's father, Ielpi, who lost his son Jonathan, to lead the group. She continues to list him as president on tax documents.

But Ielpi told The Post that he broke ties with the group years ago.

Though money rolled in from ticket sales, it all melted away on $200,000 in consulting fees and $52,270 in travel expenses for such stars as Nancy Kerrigan and Sasha Cohen.

Modlin said she never took a dime from the charity.

"People make mistakes, and this was a ginormous one," she said.
ttp://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/olympic_scheme_an_ice_capade_gmV6wxsTJep2bpqNjdPgmN#ixzz1R2pIQiSb

Online mountaineer

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2011, 04:33:22 pm »
Did anyone watch this last night?  If you can get past Diane Sawyer's breathless ditziness and Caroline Kennedy's vacuousness, it was almost interesting.  Jackie purred, "I loathe the French," which was kind of fun.
Disney brass miffed ABC missed Jackie exclusive
Last Updated: 1:51 AM, September 14, 2011
 Keith J. Kelly

Walt Disney Co. brass apparently were furious that the world exclusive on the embargoed Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis book and tapes from her 8 1/2 hours of interviews with Arthur Schlesinger, Jr. ran first on NBC, not on ABC, which like the book’s publisher, Hyperion, is owned by Disney.

Hyperion said that it learned that NBC had obtained a copy of the book and audio set only on Friday after “NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams” aired its first report.

The book, “Jacqueline Kennedy: Historic Conversations on Life with John F. Kennedy” -- based on recordings she made with Schlesinger in 1964 and kept secret until now -- had an embargo date of today.

The audio first aired Friday on the Nightly News with excerpts of Jackie Kennedy’s putdowns of LBJ and Martin Luther King, Jr. NBC’s “Today Show” aired more excerpts on Monday and Tuesday morning.

Hyperion offered the gift-wrapped scoop to the New York Times for publication yesterday, but after NBC broke the embargo, it allowed the Times to run the story on Monday, a day ahead of schedule.

ABC still pressed ahead with its two-hour “exclusive” with Diane Sawyer last night at 9 p.m., which featured among other things a sit-down interview with Caroline Kennedy, who had written the foreword to the book, and longer excerpts from the audio tapes.

“Caroline Kennedy and her family granted ABC the exclusive rights to the audio,” said Marie Coolman, a spokeswoman for Hyperion. “We made NBC aware of the copyright, and we urged NBC to respect those copyrights.”

NBC apparently obtained the book via a bookstore owner who put it out for sale early. However, the network did limit its excerpts from the audio to what is commonly termed “fair use” excerpts.

Whatever angst Hyperion may feel for its sister division ABC, its irritation must have been eased by all the publicity, which propelled the high-priced ($60) book and audio set to the top of pre-publication best-seller lists.

Yesterday, prior to the Diane Sawyer special on ABC, the book ranked in the top five on Amazon and was No. 1 on Barnes & Noble’s list.
NY Post

Offline Badeye

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2011, 04:49:59 pm »
Kathy Griffin is certainly obsessed with Palin isn't she?

Yep. I'd say its more about Palin having a stable marriage and a family than anything else. The political differences are just an excuse.
Trump is going to win AGAIN

Offline Badeye

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2011, 04:55:18 pm »
I've always thought Jackie was a well educated bimbo. Nothing in those audio tapes to date have changed my opinion.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2011, 04:57:09 pm »
I've always thought Jackie was a well educated bimbo. Nothing in those audio tapes to date have changed my opinion.

I think that is a compliment.  :pondering:
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Badeye

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2011, 04:58:15 pm »
I think that is a compliment.  :pondering:

...with a unibrow.....

Online mountaineer

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2011, 08:59:29 pm »
The Jackie Kennedy Tapes and the Media’s Double Standard

Posted by Gina Dalfonzo Sep 14th 2011

The day before the release of Jacqueline Kennedy: Historic Conversations on Life with John F. Kennedy, the Washington Post’s “Reliable Source” column ran a few of the juicier tidbits from Mrs. Kennedy’s taped interviews. Among those tidbits: “She calls [Martin Luther] King ‘a phony.’”

Oh, but don’t worry! The Post wants us all to know that Jackie’s opinions, about King and other prominent figures of her time, “aren’t that shocking.” A little “catty,” maybe. “But,” the writers add helpfully, “they underscore that Jackie was smarter and more politically astute than she let on.”

Time for Round 5,290,367 of “If a Republican Had Said That … ” Because you know exactly what would have happened if a Republican had. Adjectives like “smart” and “astute” wouldn’t be allowed within a hundred miles of the conversation. On the contrary, such remarks about a civil rights leader would be taken as incontrovertible proof that said Republican’s entire party was made up of hateful, ignorant Neanderthals, none of whom deserved to be elected dogcatcher.

In fact, because God has a sense of humor, this article was published in the print version of the Post on the same day that papers around the country—the Post included—ran a smear about Sarah Palin’s alleged racism, courtesy of author Joe McGinniss and cartoonist Garry Trudeau. Show of hands: Who expects either man to give Jackie Kennedy the same treatment any time soon? Yeah, that’s what I thought.

Interestingly, the Post doesn’t even bother to give context for Mrs. Kennedy’s remark. Other sources explain that she had a poor opinion of King because of various rumors and allegations she had heard about him, which, if they don’t excuse the remark, at least help explain where she was coming from. But apparently the “Reliable Source” columnists didn’t think we needed to know that. All we need to know is that Jackie is still tops with them, whatever she thought or said, for whatever reason she said it.

To many people, the whole Kennedy family will always be sacrosanct, no matter what unsavory truths come out about them. If I’ve learned nothing else from belonging to an extended family full of Catholic Democrats, I’ve learned that. But one would hope—perhaps even dare to expect—that journalists would eschew that sort of nostalgic hero-worship. Unfortunately, one would be wrong.
BigJournalism