Author Topic: Reduce the national debt? Sell Montana to Canada, petition states  (Read 1673 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
https://www.wivb.com/news/reduce-the-national-debt-sell-montana-to-canada-petition-states/1792409014

Hey, Canada -- Montana's got a deal for you.

It's for the state itself -- only $1 trillion.

A petition started at Change.org by poster Ian Hammond argues one way to help reduce the U.S. national debt is by selling off things we don't need.

(excerpt)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Reduce the national debt? Sell Montana to Canada, petition states
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 01:20:54 am »
Yes, this is tongue in cheek.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 01:23:16 am »
I always thought it better to take everything east of the Sierras, West of the Appalachians, call it America, and let the rest find a new name.

(P.S. Just to show you how good they are with unintended consequences, their idea would make Canada a significant Strategic nuclear power.)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 01:34:28 am »
Nope. I like Canucks and all, but Montana can make her own way.

I like the idea of Texas finally hanging the Rebel flag over her state house, with the South, the Rockies, and the Midwest joining... But we'd have to kick the hippies out of Denver... :whistle:

Offline roamer_1

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 01:36:32 am »

I like the idea of Texas finally hanging the Rebel flag over her state house, with the South, the Rockies, and the Midwest joining... But we'd have to kick the hippies out of Denver... :whistle:
Well, add in North Dakota, and we'd be the world's third largest nuclear power...(Shades of Leonard Wibberly)

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 01:45:11 am »

Good plan....I always figured if I had not have born in Montana I'd have been born in Texas...to be fair we'd have kick the hippies out of Austin too.... :shrug:

@roamer_1

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 02:06:37 am »
Well, add in North Dakota, and we'd be the world's third largest nuclear power...(Shades of Leonard Wibberly)

Add Alberta, the Territories and Alaska... Ports on both oceans and highway end to end
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 02:07:36 am by roamer_1 »

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 02:39:15 am »

Did somebody mention kicking hippies?
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline roamer_1

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 03:18:27 am »
And they can become Dental Floss Tycoons.....

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 03:29:52 am »
And they can become Dental Floss Tycoons.....

The vast dental floss farms are a myth... Sorry to spoil your dreams  :shrug:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2019, 03:52:18 am »

And, Austin. I could get behind that.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2019, 07:46:45 am »
Nope. If I Ever make enough to buy a place in Real America (after living in Ca and Ct) Montana (even if it was only 6 months) would fulfill my ultimate fantasy of Someday, moving to and living in, America before I die.

And the place is big enough so I'd never have to listen to Rap/Hip Hop/House, or that GD whiney, adenoidal, castrated, 3 chord clap trap about how the douchebag who stole my truck ran over my dog with it.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2019, 12:40:45 pm »
The vast dental floss farms are a myth... Sorry to spoil your dreams  :shrug:
That's what happens when you have mountains. Lawn gnomes roll down hill, and everyone knows a rolling gnome gathers no floss.  :shrug:

C S Lewis

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2019, 02:38:00 pm »
That's what happens when you have mountains. Lawn gnomes roll down hill, and everyone knows a rolling gnome gathers no floss.  :shrug:

We used to do that with dwarfs. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2019, 02:59:16 pm »

Groan.....

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2019, 03:00:03 pm »
Nope. If I Ever make enough to buy a place in Real America (after living in Ca and Ct) Montana (even if it was only 6 months) would fulfill my ultimate fantasy of Someday, moving to and living in, America before I die.

And the place is big enough so I'd never have to listen to Rap/Hip Hop/House, or that GD whiney, adenoidal, castrated, 3 chord clap trap about how the douchebag who stole my truck ran over my dog with it.

There are places like that still.  I hope you do get to enjoy it.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2019, 03:12:21 pm »
I prefer selling off Seattle, Chicago, and the entire states of Minnesota and Vermont as long as we get a guarantee that those residents won't cross the border to utilize US Health Care.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2019, 03:17:06 pm »
I prefer selling off Seattle, Chicago, and the entire states of Minnesota and Vermont as long as we get a guarantee that those residents won't cross the border to utilize US Health Care.

As long as you include Massachusetts.  I like Boston, but I can always cross the border if I want to visit there.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2019, 07:58:55 pm »

:silly: :silly: :silly:
Now that's funny, right there!
 :beer:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2019, 08:00:55 pm »

So, hick-hop, then?

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2019, 08:21:25 pm »
So, hick-hop, then?
Can't be. No mention of beer, trains, momma, or prison/jail, not to mention rain.

C S Lewis

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2019, 08:29:42 pm »
Montana's GDP is 45.99 billion.

The current US Debt is 22.02 trillion

That would cover about 7.5 days worth of debt (if we annualized all 22 trillion debt).

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2019, 08:36:08 pm »
Montana's GDP is 45.99 billion.

The current US Debt is 22.02 trillion

That would cover about 7.5 days worth of debt (if we annualized all 22 trillion debt).
So, sell New England.

C S Lewis