General Category > Editorial/Opinion/Blogs

It’s absurd to pay federal workers for jobs not being done

(1/3) > >>

Sanguine:

--- Quote ---by Quin Hillyer
 | January 11, 2019 05:43 PM

Only seven House members (all Republicans) showed logic, principle, and political courage on Friday by voting against a bill that will eventually provide back pay for federal workers furloughed during the partial government shutdown.

A very simple, commonsense principle should apply here: If you don’t work, you don’t get paid. Period.

It matters not if it’s not your fault that you aren’t working. If you are in the private sector and your employer decides to close shop for the last three weeks of a year because there’s a lull in business, then you won’t get paid — even if the lull in business isn’t your fault. No reasonable person would expect otherwise.

So why should federal civil servants be any different? Why should taxpayers be forced — repeat, forced, under penalty of law — to pay for services not being performed for them? ...

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/its-absurd-to-pay-federal-workers-for-jobs-not-being-done

--- End quote ---

Interesting POV.

Elderberry:
This is a sure way to reduce the number of Federal Workers.

I'm sure glad my son wasn't affected by the govt shutdown.

bigheadfred:
There is a lull at my work. At my employer's suggestion, I am currently drawing unemployment. He pays his share of that tax. Is that reasonable? Or am I a leech?

@Sanguine

Sanguine:

--- Quote from: bigheadfred on January 24, 2019, 02:35:06 am ---There is a lull at my work. At my employer's suggestion, I am currently drawing unemployment. He pays his share of that tax. Is that reasonable? Or am I a leech?

@Sanguine

--- End quote ---

Is your boss going to pay you for your time off after the fact? 

Apples/oranges.

bigheadfred:

--- Quote from: Sanguine on January 24, 2019, 02:42:20 am ---Is your boss going to pay you for your time off after the fact? 

Apples/oranges.

--- End quote ---

No. But in my head he is still paying me, at a reduced rate, because of the unemployment tax he paid in the 8 years I have worked there. We are mutually benefiting from that tax. He knows where that tax money is going, and for what. Does that make sense?

For the people in government who are working and not getting paid, they should be recompensed. The ones who aren't, shouldn't. Roughly half of the 800,000 out of work can draw unemployment. I am on the fence whether any of them should be able to draw that if that money comes from the federal tax I still pay with my unemployment. I am eligible for $414 a week (the max) and pay 10% Federal tax on that. It is still counted as income by the Feds. It is also optional as to pay it now, or pay it at the end of the year. There is no Idaho state tax on unemployment income.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version