Author Topic: Forging a Pattern Welded Viking Sword  (Read 1308 times)

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
Forging a Pattern Welded Viking Sword
« on: January 22, 2019, 10:28:21 pm »
Regardless of where the famed Ulfberht swords were made http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,348603.0.html, Pattern Welding was know among Viking Blacksmiths and practiced locally.

One Saga tells of the hero being handed an heirloom sword with magic powers. It never failed to bite and there was a tiny serpent living in the blade that would only come out and show itself when the sword was drawn.

So there's a couple of clues they're talking about a pattern welded sword.

Imagine building these 1200 years ago with no power tools.

Part 1

Sorry...

Part 2

Sorry...

Part 3

Sorry...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 10:29:02 pm by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Forging a Pattern Welded Viking Sword
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 11:08:40 am »
I tried forge welding in a friend's knife shop. Let's just say I'm not at this level and leave it at that. Maybe some day, but he died, and the heirs dug into his stuff fast....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 12:11:49 pm »
My Dad's tools too. Joke was on them though.

They grabbed up what they could comprehend. Little stuff. Stuff they could use around the house.

Didn't even touch his array of measuring tools. He was an aerospace machinist, tool and die maker running a dept that made fuel control prototypes.

While I'm not using them, they mean a lot more to me than hand sanders and such.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 12:13:01 pm by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 12:16:56 pm »
My Dad's tools too. Joke was on them though.

They grabbed up what they could comprehend. Little stuff. Stuff they could use around the house.

Didn't even touch his array of measuring tools. He was an aerospace machinist, tool and die maker running a dept that made fuel control prototypes.

While I'm not using them, they mean a lot more to me than hand sanders and such.
Unfortunately, these guys knew what the grinders, the anvil and blacksmithing tools, the gas forge and trip hammer were worth....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 12:53:42 pm »
Unfortunately, these guys knew what the grinders, the anvil and blacksmithing tools, the gas forge and trip hammer were worth....

Sucks, but expected.

Crows and ravens.

Bright shiney stuff they can't use.

Cash it in and buy junk with it.

Tools, the stuff that seperates us from liberals and other lower life forms.