Author Topic: Prenatal Exposure to Cannabis Affects the Developing Brain  (Read 733 times)

rangerrebew

Prenatal Exposure to Cannabis Affects the Developing Brain
« on: January 21, 2019, 05:21:23 pm »
Prenatal Exposure to Cannabis Affects the Developing Brain
Children born to moms who smoked or ingested marijuana during pregnancy suffer higher rates of depression, hyperactivity, and inattention.
Jan 1, 2019
Andrew Scheyer

We live in a medicated era. Recent data indicate that more than half of Americans are currently taking prescription drugs. Among pregnant women this number skyrockets to more than 80 percent. One of these women was a 24-year-old from California named Carol, whom I met and befriended through an online drug research forum. After weeks of debilitating morning sickness, persistent pain in her back and hips, and chronic anxiety about becoming a mother, Carol was taking a tranquilizer called alprazolam as needed, plus daily doses of acetaminophen and an anti-nausea drug called metoclopramide.

Carol felt uneasy using the medications. Like many Americans and an even greater proportion of Europeans, Carol (who asked that I not use her surname) favors home remedies over pharmaceutical treatments. “I’ll always choose a tea over a pill,” she says. And so, as she sought relief during her pregnancy, she turned to marijuana.

https://www.the-scientist.com/features/prenatal-exposure-to-cannabis-affects-the-developing-brain-65230

Offline dfwgator

Re: Prenatal Exposure to Cannabis Affects the Developing Brain
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 05:28:18 pm »
That's why we have liberals.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 05:50:54 pm »
I believe that we will learn the Weed is not really the Panacea many claim it to be.

IMO

--It may well help with nasuea, pain etc.

--It is very likely a gateway drug, leading to further use of stronger, more dangerous substances.

--It is addictive

--It does damage of young brains.

I believe most physicians would advie to not risk use, except for specific narrow uses.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 06:08:53 pm »
My daughter was born in 1979.  The 1st question from the doctor when she was admitted to neonatal intensive care was "Do you use or have you used marijuana?"  The 2nd question  was the same except for her father.  The answer for me was/is negative, but her father was a regular user.  The head of the neonatal unit believed that marijuana was responsible for an increase in neurological defects in newborns. 

I don't think this is new information.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 01:03:58 am »
Truth seeker observed:
"I believe that we will learn the Weed is not really the Panacea many claim it to be."

Ummm.....
Wasn't that what this was all about?

Seems like that issue had been figured out a long time ago...