Author Topic: Analysts: Shutdown Expense Now Exceeds $5.7B Wall Cost  (Read 1719 times)

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Analysts: Shutdown Expense Now Exceeds $5.7B Wall Cost
« on: January 20, 2019, 10:07:19 pm »
Analysts: Shutdown Expense Now Exceeds $5.7B Wall Cost

President Donald Trump speaks about the partial government shutdown, immigration and border security in the Diplomatic Reception Room of the White House. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

By Michael Dorstewitz    |   Sunday, 20 January 2019 03:43 PM

There is growing evidence the cost of the partial government shutdown now exceeds President Donald Trump’s $5.7 billion request to build a barrier at the U.S.-Mexican border.

Standard & Poor's Global Ratings estimates that the U.S. economy loses approximately $1.2 billion each week that 25 percent of the government remains closed, according to CNBC.

https://www.newsmax.com/platinum/shutdown-trump-sanders-cost/2019/01/20/id/899040/
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Online corbe

Re: Analysts: Shutdown Expense Now Exceeds $5.7B Wall Cost
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 10:10:37 pm »
   Maybe if I actually read 'The Art of the Deal' instead of just claiming that I did, this $hit would make more sense.  :shrug:
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 10:17:37 pm »
I hope it goes on until it exceeds the high estimate of total border security. Not just a wall down south. Total border security.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 10:28:34 pm »
   Maybe if I actually read 'The Art of the Deal' instead of just claiming that I did, this $hit would make more sense.  :shrug:

Make sense? I don't know.  I think that book has been proven waste of money.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 10:29:37 pm »
I hope it goes on until it exceeds the high estimate of total border security. Not just a wall down south. Total border security.

Its shameful.

Online libertybele

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 10:44:14 pm »

...when you get a handle on the "Art of the Deal" explain it to the rest of us.  :beer:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 10:45:47 pm »
There should be no shutdown expense.  A shutdown should result in a savings - not an expense.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 11:01:32 pm »
There should be no shutdown expense.  A shutdown should result in a savings - not an expense.

The economy.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 11:07:01 pm »
The economy.

Government spending is a drain on the economy - not a boost.  Government does not create growth.  It merely consumes it.

And any economics professor or teacher who is still teaching that BS government economic multiplier nonsense from the 70s ought to be fired immediately and lose any pension they may have coming.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 11:10:03 pm »
Government spending is a drain on the economy - not a boost.  Government does not create growth.  It merely consumes it.

And any economics professor or teacher who is still teaching that BS government economic multiplier nonsense from the 70s ought to be fired immediately and lose any pension they may have coming.

OK, I won't argue the point because I have little knowledge on economics outside my own checkbook.  You could be right but the article said it is costing.

Offline Major Confusion

• If you don't like my opinion, Byte Me.
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2019, 11:57:29 pm »

The 800k employees who are being held hostage are sure not spending anything. They will constitute a drain on n the economy in their communities. Think of the second and third order effects of this shutdown continuing. How long can your household go without income?
If you don't like my opinion, Byte Me.

Online libertybele

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2019, 12:02:46 am »
The 800k employees who are being held hostage are sure not spending anything. They will constitute a drain on n the economy in their communities. Think of the second and third order effects of this shutdown continuing. How long can your household go without income?

Actually, right now the DEMS are holding the entire country hostage by refusing to allow our President to protect this country; including the 800k employees. 

It's a cluster, no doubt about it, but its a fight that Trump and the GOP must win to save our country from this ongoing invasion.

BTW...welcome to The Briefing Room.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2019, 12:15:22 am »
The 800k employees who are being held hostage are sure not spending anything.

Of course they are.  They have savings.  And they are all eligible for interest-free loans from USAA.

They will constitute a drain on n the economy in their communities.

They will do no such thing.

How long can your household go without income?

How long my household can go without income has absolutely positively NOTHING to do with economic output. 

Seriously, do you want to talk economics?  Or do you want to talk about how we should feel sorry for a class of workers that get paid on average 70% more than their private sector counterparts, who are immune to layoffs, and who are also immune to getting fired.  Workers who currently are using sick days in violation of work rules with impunity.  Workers who will enjoy a pension that is never subject to default.  Workers who get to roll over sick days and vacation days to boost that pension.  And workers who enjoy a health insurance coverage that the rest of us can only dream of.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

BassWrangler

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2019, 12:23:54 am »
I think the reason they say it's costing us money is because even though some government workers are not working, they will still get back pay for this missed work. So we in effect will pay double for the shutdown time.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2019, 12:29:31 am »
I think the reason they say it's costing us money is because even though some government workers are not working, they will still get back pay for this missed work. So we in effect will pay double for the shutdown time.

In that case, you are correct.  However, that is just plain stupid to do so.  If a worker is furloughed, then they don't get paid.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2019, 12:32:55 am »
while some may argue the merits of a shutdown, there is no merit with paying anyone who does not work during it.

Otherwise, one can take the stupid idea here that shutdowns will allow people to be paid during it which justifies no shutdown due to the expense.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 01:27:58 am by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2019, 12:48:00 am »
Actually, right now the DEMS are holding the entire country hostage by refusing to allow our President to protect this country; including the 800k employees. 

It's a cluster, no doubt about it, but its a fight that Trump and the GOP must win to save our country from this ongoing invasion.

BTW...welcome to The Briefing Room.

Isn't that the irony.  We shouldn't have to negotiate anything to spend 26 billion to protect our borders.  Every single lawmakers job is to uphold the laws.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2019, 01:58:50 am »

Tell the president. He seems to think nearly three quarters of a trillion dollars equals job creation, growth, and makes the military rich. On top of that, he's handing bail out money to farmers who have been casualties in his trade war.

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

Because of the $700 & $716 Billion Dollars gotten to rebuild our Military, many jobs are created and our Military is again rich. Building a great Border Wall, with drugs (poison) and enemy combatants pouring into our Country, is all about National Defense. Build WALL through M!

5:33 AM · Mar 25, 2018 · Twitter for iPhone
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 01:59:44 am by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2019, 05:06:03 am »
$1.2 Billion per week.  800,000 people not getting checks.  That's $1,500 per furloughed employee per week (or $78,000/year).

Used oats.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2019, 01:49:45 pm »
$1.2 Billion per week.  800,000 people not getting checks.  That's $1,500 per furloughed employee per week (or $78,000/year).

$78K after taxes.  More like $110K before.

Life is full of tradeoffs, people.  For the risk of a shutdown every now and then, you make 6 figures, can't be laid off, virtually impossible to be fired, have a very generous pension and top shelf health insurance.  On top of that, you have an employer who will never go out of business despite failing to break even for 61 consecutive years.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2019, 01:57:42 pm »
The Democrats are willing to spend $10B to keep Trump from getting $5B.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2019, 04:51:22 pm »
$78K after taxes.  More like $110K before.

Life is full of tradeoffs, people.  For the risk of a shutdown every now and then, you make 6 figures, can't be laid off, virtually impossible to be fired, have a very generous pension and top shelf health insurance.  On top of that, you have an employer who will never go out of business despite failing to break even for 61 consecutive years.

Yes, plus if you have a really boring job, save a little money and pray for a shut down.  It's a paid vacation because you will get your money back.

What's the downside?
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.