Author Topic: 'Fact checking' website Snopes on verge of collapse after founder is accused of fraud, lies, and pu  (Read 1067 times)

rangerrebew

'Fact checking' website Snopes on verge of collapse after founder is accused of fraud, lies, and putting prostitutes and his honeymoon on expenses (and it hasn't told its readers THOSE facts)

'Fact-checking' website Snopes is asking its users for help in a GoFundMe saying an 'outside vendor' is 'holding it hostage'
    But the site which claims to be 'transparent' and to tell people the facts they need to know hasn't told those donating everything that is going on
    In fact it is at the center of a bitter legal battle with its CEO being accused of fraud, lies, conspiracy and putting prostitutes and his honeymoon on expenses
    David Mikkelson set up company which owns Snopes.com in 2003 with then wife Barbara but she sold her 50 per cent stake during bitter divorce
    Owners of company which provided it with tech and advertising services bought her stake but have now fallen out with Mikkelson and call him a fraudster
    Case could see judge order site closed - despite it being chosen by Facebook to arbitrate on fake news 

By Alana Goodman For Dailymail.com

Published: 16:13 EST, 26 July 2017 | Updated: 17:47 EST, 26 July 2017

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4730092/Snopes-brink-founder-accused-fraud-lying.html

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Snopes, fraudster?  Say it ain't so.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

Has been for a LONG time.  Sorry.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Good, die you commie liars... so sick of them spinning just as much as they can get away with on every single political item.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline the_doc

What I find particularly appalling in the article is something I hadn't known:   "Case could see judge order site closed - despite it being chosen by Facebook to arbitrate on fake news."

I knew Facebook is politically crooked and also hard-wired into the network of all of the politically crooked social media websites--but I didn't know about Facebook letting Snopes arbitrate issues of "fake news." 

Wow, the judge had danged sure better find cause--fully compliant with the 1st Amendment--for shuttering Snopes.Com.   (It might actually be even better to put Zuckerberg behind bars, come to think of it.)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 09:59:24 pm by the_doc »

Offline mountaineer

That's a shame. Now if only Wikipedia would suffer the same fate.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

Man that is a long very long "verge". 

Besides, who doesn't hire pro's on their honeymoon and write them of as an expense?

@Amb. Frank Cannon Frank
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Frank Cannon

Besides, who doesn't hire pro's on their honeymoon and write them of as an expense?

@Amb. Frank Cannon Frank

"Whore Write Offs" got my income down to zero last year. Thank you prostitutes!!!!

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
"Whore Write Offs" got my income down to zero last year. Thank you prostitutes!!!!

Top Notch! Well Done Frank!
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

@Amb. Frank Cannon Frank
I'm glad I'm not the only one who caught that.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline goodwithagun

That’s the American dream right there!
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline DB

Does that include the medical expenses?

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

Frank, I didn't know you could right off congress critters!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
That's a lot of legal fees.... 888mouth
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis