Author Topic: Senate to take up Trump's border-immigration plan next week  (Read 7984 times)

Offline Idiot

Re: Senate to take up Trump's border-immigration plan next week
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2019, 03:12:21 am »
Oh, we weren't a minority then, @corbe   I was a Bona fide Trump loather and I have admitted to that many, many times.  In fact, I bonded with a person who is no longer here over our mutual Trump hate and we had a warm e-mail relationship for months.  That ended abruptly after the election when I was struck Not Blind on the road to Damascus and decided to give Trump a chance since he did us the huge favor of defeating Hillary.

One of the reasons I hated him was that I thought he would cost us the election.  Anyway my friend dropped me (and this forum) and I hated to lose her.

But, once I became open to giving Trump a chance, he continued to surprise and please me.

I think he's brought a new mindset to the presidency and a good one.

I wasn't even for the wall for a long time.  I was for other changes such as you suggested but Trump brought me around to realizing that we DO need a physical barrier on our southern border.  Once we stop the influx, we can get around to the other issues.

So keep on keeping on, corbe, if it makes you happy.  You are the nicest of the NTers which I'm sure will not please you.
:thumbsup:

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2019, 03:24:02 am »
Oh, we weren't a minority then, @corbe   

....You are the nicest of the NTers .....

@Emjay @mrpotatohead

What..  22222frying pan I thought I was the nicest NTer... :shrug:

Offline libertybele

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2019, 03:25:54 am »
   @truth_seeker was discussing Reagan (80's), I just brought the debate forward 35 years where it really matterers, pertaining to the current immigration debate @Right_in_Virginia and Cruz's Campaign platform.

Personally it really doesn't matter what Sen. Cruz does from here on out to me.  He is one of a hundred Senators with little clout in spite of being on the Trump Train for political expediency and I'm OK with it. I still believe he has kept mostly to his Conservative Core (last Budget Vote, withstanding), unlike your DJT who never had a Conservative CORE and never will.

I don't think Cruz has jumped on the Trump train for political expediency, but rather has agreed with him when justified.  After all, Cruz was for a wall and anti-illegal immigration long before Trump.  Cruz also came out with a healthcare plan, long before Trump.

Personally, as much as I don't want to see him leave the Senate, with his recent proposal of term limits, I don't expect Cruz to run for re-election once his term is over. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2019, 03:30:25 am »
Well, I'm beginning to think if he was going to call a state of emergency he would have already done so.

Is that really necessary?  I mean, we run military drills all the time, right?  Let's run one where the southern border is in danger of being overrun.  And if we happen to build physical barriers during the drill... well, let's force the Dems to produce the funding to take them down afterward.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online corbe

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2019, 03:30:51 am »
   Now that would be heart breaking for me @libertybele If he gave up politics and choose not to rerun in 2024, for something.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2019, 05:18:07 am »
   Thank you again for the compliment (I think) about being a tolerable NT'er @Emjay.  I'd bet good money that if I was smoking Maui Waui instead of this Colorado $hit I'd want to have Trump's child too.    wink777

Sorry to break it to you @corbe but: one, there is no Maui Waui.  It's easier to get pot in Texas than here.  And two, no matter how enamored you become, you are not physically capable of having Trump's child, unless I've greatly misjudged you.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2019, 05:20:34 am »
@Emjay @mrpotatohead

What..  22222frying pan I thought I was the nicest NTer... :shrug:

You are so nice that I didn't even realize you are an NTer @montanajoe

Online corbe

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2019, 05:22:44 am »
   I'm gonna continue to smoke pot and try @Emjay
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2019, 05:23:00 am »
   Now that would be heart breaking for me @libertybele If he gave up politics and choose not to rerun in 2024, for something.

Who can see down to 2024 or even 2020, but I still want Ted Cruz to be President someday and I still think he will be.  Until then, he will certainly run for Senator in 2024, but by then, he could run for President.

Online corbe

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2019, 05:26:54 am »
   Unless he Grandfathers himself into his 'Term Limits' bill it's as @libertybele prophesied, He bluffed himself out of his Job, am I wrong or just typically to deep/shallow?

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2019, 05:29:02 am »
   The SOTU Address would be a 'perfect' opportunity to declare a National Emergency, IMHO.

I think that's exactly why he floated this compromise before the SOTU.  This will go to the Senate Tuesday and should pass (now that our best buddy Mitt is on board)  Then we'll see what the House does.  If they pass it, good.  Shutdown over and we have a wall, or a fraction of one. 

It will be an excellent indication of the extent of Pelosi's power.  If the House sticks with her, then I see no choice for Trump than declaring the National Emergency in his SOTU address.

He will have tried everything at that point.

Online corbe

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2019, 05:40:55 am »
    @Emjay within 3 minutes of that infamous Escalator ride in 2015 it was obvious Immigration was the key issue and though he has made valiant attempts of correcting this problem, his report card 2 years in is certainly not a failure but it's not encouraging either.
    I've always believed this was beyond his capability so I'm not discouraged or even disappointed.
    I would have been surprised if a President Cruz could have pulled it off, there is a very strong headwind against any REAL Immigration Reform in the upper chambers of the US Politic.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2019, 09:35:31 am »
   The SOTU Address would be a 'perfect' opportunity to declare a National Emergency, IMHO.
We just might see that. They have stated they will do a SOTU one way or another on schedule (Jan 29, if not mistaken). Second, this latest move by Trump was a setup to back the Dems into the proverbial corner.  Knowing that Chuckie and Nannie would say his proposal was DOA and they won’t support something they once did, that sets up his only option, an emergency declaration.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2019, 12:50:29 pm »
We just might see that. They have stated they will do a SOTU one way or another on schedule (Jan 29, if not mistaken). Second, this latest move by Trump was a setup to back the Dems into the proverbial corner.  Knowing that Chuckie and Nannie would say his proposal was DOA and they won’t support something they once did, that sets up his only option, an emergency declaration.

For the millions of Americans, the President appeared rational, concerned, compassionate and committed to fixing problems.  The democrat response appears intransigent, self-serving and cold blooded.

The second missed paycheck for furloughed nonessentials is now in our line of sight.  Look for a peeling away of democrat support to start with them and gain speed and strength on its way to DC.  Maybe Pelosi should ponder this as she waits for her connecting flight back to Reagan National.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2019, 01:03:59 pm »
Senate to take up Trump's border-immigration plan next week
By Jordain Carney - 01/19/19 04:47 PM EST

Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said Saturday that the Senate will take up President Trump's plan to tie more than $5 billion for the border wall to temporary legal protections for some undocumented immigrants next week.

"I intend to move to this legislation this week. With bipartisan cooperation, the Senate can send a bill to the House quickly so that they can take action as well," McConnell said in a statement.

Trump is asking for more than $5 billion for border security in exchange for a three-year extension in protections for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program recipients and some Temporary Protected Status holders. The bill being that will be taken up in the Senate would also fully reopen the federal government.

McConnell said Trump's plan is a "compromise" that includes "priorities from both sides of the aisle."

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/426180-senate-to-take-up-trumps-border-immigration-plan-next-week

Mouse McConnell should be horse-whipped and chased out of DC. Yeah,it would cost him his Chinese wife/handler,but he's so old it's not like he would miss out of anything other than that high-pitched Oriental shrieking of "yoo sew stoopid,old white man!",and make America a better place at the same time.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2019, 01:10:54 pm »
@Emjay, @Chosen Daughter is correct.  Do you really think Trump supporters want amnesty??  If so, I declare B.S.  Now is the time to absolutely hold this President, and everyone in Congress; DEM and GOP alike RESPONSIBLE!!!

@libertybele

I couldn't agree more.  Unfortunately,RINO pustules will blame any compromises ENTIRELY on Trump,while giving traitors like Marshmallow Mitch a pass because he is a GENUINE Modern Day Alleged Republican.

I think the reason you NT's hate Trump so much is because of the FACT that he spent years as a registered Dim (due to living in the NE and having to deal with Dim pols),and it took a (formerly) registed Dim politician to stand up on his hind legs and fight off the left while your RINO heroes are still sucking their toes and making excuses about how "it's soooo hard to do the right thing when it will cost me Dim friends!"

Not to mention being cut out of a percentage of the cash payoffs the Dims get for betraying America and Americans.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2019, 01:12:30 pm »
For the true diehard Trump fan, nothing is ever his fault.  Nothing is ever his responsibility.

@Applewood

You are confusing Trump supporters with your Bush-Bot friends.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2019, 01:16:36 pm »
   Again @truth_seeker you are comparing apples to oranges, Reagan is 80's there was a guy just 3 years ago (when it mattered) that offered a better 'Real Time' solution AND Ability, but the GOP decided otherwise, not really surprising to me.

@corbe

Yeah,causen if there is ONE thing America really needs it is yet ANOTHER alleged Republican from the bullshit state of Texas.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2019, 01:19:40 pm »
   @truth_seeker was discussing Reagan (80's), I just brought the debate forward 35 years where it really matterers, pertaining to the current immigration debate @Right_in_Virginia and Cruz's Campaign platform.

Personally it really doesn't matter what Sen. Cruz does from here on out to me.  He is one of a hundred Senators with little clout in spite of being on the Trump Train for political expediency and I'm OK with it. I still believe he has kept mostly to his Conservative Core (last Budget Vote, withstanding), unlike your DJT who never had a Conservative CORE and never will.

@corbe

Good to see you come out of the closet as a blind Party Pod Person and admit  in public that a RINO is better in  your alleged mind than someone who does NOT wear a "Big Red R" on his chest,but actually pushes conservative legislation.

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2019, 01:24:50 pm »
@Emjay, @Chosen Daughter is correct.  Do you really think Trump supporters want amnesty??  If so, I declare B.S.  Now is the time to absolutely hold this President, and everyone in Congress; DEM and GOP alike RESPONSIBLE!!!

I am very pleased to see holding Demonrats accountable is still acceptable here @libertybele  happy77

A couple of random thoughts on DACA:  An extension of the protections provided by this is not amnesty.  There is no offer of citizenship on the table, as of now.   But holding onto the expectation those here, for years, through DACA will be deported or permanently denied citizenship is unhealthy.  Neither the judiciary nor the court of public opinion will allow this.

The DACA "fix" still rests with Congress.  And until and unless we retake the House with pro Trump members and biotch slap a couple of Republican Senators now seated, DACA in its current form is with us.

Sorry for the depressing news on a Sunday morning, but *this* is the reality.

« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2019, 01:30:41 pm »

I love how you still throw out "conservative" as though this label matters to anyone beyond an ever decreasing minority of voters @corbe   Bless your heart.   happy77

Offline libertybele

« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2019, 01:33:44 pm »
@libertybele

I couldn't agree more.  Unfortunately,RINO pustules will blame any compromises ENTIRELY on Trump,while giving traitors like Marshmallow Mitch a pass because he is a GENUINE Modern Day Alleged Republican.

I think the reason you NT's hate Trump so much is because of the FACT that he spent years as a registered Dim (due to living in the NE and having to deal with Dim pols),and it took a (formerly) registed Dim politician to stand up on his hind legs and fight off the left while your RINO heroes are still sucking their toes and making excuses about how "it's soooo hard to do the right thing when it will cost me Dim friends!"

Not to mention being cut out of a percentage of the cash payoffs the Dims get for betraying America and Americans.

I sat wondering if I should even defend such a ridiculous accusation...do NO speak for me and try to tell me what I stand for.  Once again for the record I don't hate Trump. I DO refuse to give him a free pass on everything. I DON'T give any politician a free pass. I give credit when credit is due and I believe holding them responsible for when they are wrong.  I am in no way pro RINO; quite the opposite if you were to go back and read my post after post after post on the RINO brigade that haunts this country.

No compromise on the sovereignty of this country. No DACA.  No Dreamers.  No Amensty.  No Asylum.  No Birthright Citizenship. No Chain migration.  I have stated that several times.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2019, 01:37:10 pm »
I love how you still throw out "conservative" as though this label matters to anyone beyond an ever decreasing minority of voters @corbe   Bless your heart.   happy77

So, because conservatives are supposedly decreasing in number, they are supposed to give up their principles and values??  I don't think so.  Compromising ones values and principles and disregarding the Constitution is exactly why the GOP is in trouble.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2019, 01:44:27 pm »
I am very pleased to see holding Demonrats accountable is still acceptable here @libertybele  happy77

A couple of random thoughts on DACA:  An extension of the protections provided by this is not amnesty.  There is no offer of citizenship on the table, as of now.   But holding onto the expectation those here, for years, through DACA will be deported or permanently denied citizenship is unhealthy.  Neither the judiciary nor the court of public opinion will allow this.

The DACA "fix" still rests with Congress.  And until and unless we retake the House with pro Trump members and biotch slap a couple of Republican Senators now seated, DACA in its current form is with us.

Sorry for the depressing news on a Sunday morning, but *this* is the reality.

I realize that as of right now there is no offer to permanently let the DACA Dreamers, stay.  That IS what the DEMS want.

You said it in a nutshell; "onto the expectation those here, for years, through DACA will be deported or permanently denied citizenship is unhealthy.  Neither the judiciary nor the court of public opinion will allow this." ....

Unhealthy?  So ... we give up and let the leftists have their way?  If that's the case ...why fight to build the wall??  Heck ... why hold up the caravans?  So what you're indicating is this is nothing more than a horse and pony show by Trump and the GOP and they are just trying to save face because of public opinion and the judiciary? IN other words; give up on the sovereignty of this country.  No and hell no!!

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2019, 02:03:01 pm »
@Applewood

You are confusing Trump supporters with your Bush-Bot friends.

Really @sneakypete ?  Bush-bot?   That’s what you’re going with?

Heres a teeny, tiny little test:  ask RiV to name one thing that trump has done that she disagrees with or was his fault.  Go ahead ask her.   
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 02:04:07 pm by Axeslinger »
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson