Author Topic: Senate to take up Trump's border-immigration plan next week  (Read 7986 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Senate to take up Trump's border-immigration plan next week
« on: January 19, 2019, 10:32:13 pm »
Senate to take up Trump's border-immigration plan next week
By Jordain Carney - 01/19/19 04:47 PM EST

Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said Saturday that the Senate will take up President Trump's plan to tie more than $5 billion for the border wall to temporary legal protections for some undocumented immigrants next week.

"I intend to move to this legislation this week. With bipartisan cooperation, the Senate can send a bill to the House quickly so that they can take action as well," McConnell said in a statement.

Trump is asking for more than $5 billion for border security in exchange for a three-year extension in protections for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program recipients and some Temporary Protected Status holders. The bill being that will be taken up in the Senate would also fully reopen the federal government.

McConnell said Trump's plan is a "compromise" that includes "priorities from both sides of the aisle."

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/426180-senate-to-take-up-trumps-border-immigration-plan-next-week
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Re: Senate to take up Trump's border-immigration plan next week
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 10:36:50 pm »
I bet all those people at the Trump rallies who voted for him were not thinking of compromise and priorities for Democrats.  I am absolutely certain from the ones I watched they believed that amnesty would be a thing of the past.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 10:39:54 pm »
If it actually makes it through the Senate, watch Pelosi add some unacceptable things to it, then throw it back to the Senate, like the pre-shut down continuing resolution was.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 10:40:42 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 10:43:30 pm »
If it actually makes it through the Senate, watch Pelosi add some unacceptable things to it, then throw it back to the Senate, like the pre-shut down continuing resolution was.

Let's hope that it doesn't even make it through the Senate.  This is amnesty.  Unacceptable!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 12:54:00 am »
If the Senate was the least bit Republican, it would vote on the bill passed by the House and approve every line, not needing reconciliation, but they are not conservative, and have done nothing of consequence in two + years other than the tax legislation while they have a Republican as president.  A true disgrace.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 01:18:11 am »
I bet all those people at the Trump rallies who voted for him were not thinking of compromise and priorities for Democrats.  I am absolutely certain from the ones I watched they believed that amnesty would be a thing of the past.

@Chosen Daughter   Please try to get over yourself.  No one could have fought harder for the wall and border safety than Trump.

Unless the people who voted for Trump expected him to be an absolute ruler, they should have realized he would have to deal with a Republican base that had gotten into a safe little rut and a democrat party that was drifting into insanity.

Now is not the time to carp at Trump.  I hope you and the other people who are doing so will come to grips with that.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 01:21:26 am »
Let's hope that it doesn't even make it through the Senate.  This is amnesty.  Unacceptable!

@libertybele   It is not amnesty.  It is giving some concessions in order to get a bill passed.  Surely, you didn't think it would be easy and could be done without concessions.

I cannot believe the people here who seem to think that Trump has absolute power.  It would be kinda nice if he did.

And surely you did not believe that the democrats would just cave from their intractable position without some kind of carrot.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 01:22:59 am »
@Chosen Daughter   Please try to get over yourself.  No one could have fought harder for the wall and border safety than Trump.

Unless the people who voted for Trump expected him to be an absolute ruler, they should have realized he would have to deal with a Republican base that had gotten into a safe little rut and a democrat party that was drifting into insanity.

Now is not the time to carp at Trump.  I hope you and the other people who are doing so will come to grips with that.

@Emjay, @Chosen Daughter is correct.  Do you really think Trump supporters want amnesty??  If so, I declare B.S.  Now is the time to absolutely hold this President, and everyone in Congress; DEM and GOP alike RESPONSIBLE!!!

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline corbe

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 01:33:09 am »

A significant Minority here (like you @Emjay, if I remember correctly) were harping on Trump 3 years ago when it really mattered.  Now it is just an exercise in futility, which I still delight in.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 01:40:07 am »
@Emjay, @Chosen Daughter is correct.  Do you really think Trump supporters want amnesty??  If so, I declare B.S.  Now is the time to absolutely hold this President, and everyone in Congress; DEM and GOP alike RESPONSIBLE!!!

For the true diehard Trump fan, nothing is ever his fault.  Nothing is ever his responsibility. 

Offline libertybele

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2019, 01:48:47 am »
For the true diehard Trump fan, nothing is ever his fault.  Nothing is ever his responsibility.

Not holding our Congressmen and President responsible for decades is exactly WHY we find ourselves faced with losing this country.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2019, 02:01:50 am »

Politicians of both sides know exactly what Americans wanted when they voted for Trump.  He built it up to the cheers of the people.  Honestly I never believed him.  I said so many times.  But it absolutely conveyed what Americans want.  It isn't compromise.  Trump saying that he will get the rest is a lie too.  It is obvious that this is his only chance.  He should declare the state of Emergency.  We are being invaded.  One caravan after another.  We need full border funding now.  26 billion.

And Chuck and Nancy should be ashamed of themselves.  They talk about ports of entry when their own states are filled with illegal aliens and gang member who have come through the open border.  Their prisons are filled with illegal alien criminals.  Illegal immigrant children coming to their states are being recruited into the same gangs they say they are escaping.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 02:04:42 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2019, 02:10:51 am »

He had the right idea with State of Emergency.  Because it is!  While we wait for "compromise" people are pouring into our country.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2019, 02:11:35 am »
Politicians of both sides know exactly what Americans wanted when they voted for Trump.  He built it up to the cheers of the people.  Honestly I never believed him.  I said so many times.  But it absolutely conveyed what Americans want.  It isn't compromise.  Trump saying that he will get the rest is a lie too.  It is obvious that this is his only chance.  He should declare the state of Emergency.  We are being invaded.  One caravan after another.  We need full border funding now.  26 billion.

And Chuck and Nancy should be ashamed of themselves.  They talk about ports of entry when their own states are filled with illegal aliens and gang member who have come through the open border.  Their prisons are filled with illegal alien criminals.  Illegal immigrant children coming to their states are being recruited into the same gangs they say they are escaping.

Well, I'm beginning to think if he was going to call a state of emergency he would have already done so.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2019, 02:14:22 am »
Well, I'm beginning to think if he was going to call a state of emergency he would have already done so.

Because he is wishy-washy, squishy-squashy waffle head.  He say's it but doesn't mean it.  He makes a habit of it.  Like when he said he wouldn't sign the spending bill.  He'd be better off not saying what he is obviously not going to do.

Offline corbe

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2019, 02:15:52 am »
   The SOTU Address would be a 'perfect' opportunity to declare a National Emergency, IMHO.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2019, 02:22:17 am »
   The SOTU Address would be a 'perfect' opportunity to declare a National Emergency, IMHO.

It would, wouldn't it?  We should be making no compromise with Democrats who are funding these caravans. 

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2019, 02:23:47 am »
   A significant Minority here (like you @Emjay, if I remember correctly) were harping on Trump 3 years ago when it really mattered.  Now it is just an exercise in futility, which I still delight in.

Oh, we weren't a minority then, @corbe   I was a Bona fide Trump loather and I have admitted to that many, many times.  In fact, I bonded with a person who is no longer here over our mutual Trump hate and we had a warm e-mail relationship for months.  That ended abruptly after the election when I was struck Not Blind on the road to Damascus and decided to give Trump a chance since he did us the huge favor of defeating Hillary.

One of the reasons I hated him was that I thought he would cost us the election.  Anyway my friend dropped me (and this forum) and I hated to lose her.

But, once I became open to giving Trump a chance, he continued to surprise and please me.

I think he's brought a new mindset to the presidency and a good one.

I wasn't even for the wall for a long time.  I was for other changes such as you suggested but Trump brought me around to realizing that we DO need a physical barrier on our southern border.  Once we stop the influx, we can get around to the other issues.

So keep on keeping on, corbe, if it makes you happy.  You are the nicest of the NTers which I'm sure will not please you.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2019, 02:24:43 am »

Indeed.  I have not heard a definitive on that yet since Nancy asked him to postpone it.

Offline corbe

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2019, 02:28:08 am »
   Thank you again for the compliment (I think) about being a tolerable NT'er @Emjay.  I'd bet good money that if I was smoking Maui Waui instead of this Colorado $hit I'd want to have Trump's child too.    wink777

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2019, 02:30:32 am »
Trump on this topic?

Compared to who?

Reagan?

The GOP majority under  "speaker" Ryan?

Dr. Suess?

For anybody ever or still able to think straight, Trump was and remains your best chance.

If you got to be mad at somebody/something...how about Republicans/conservatives unable of persuading enough voters?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline corbe

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2019, 02:42:13 am »
   Again @truth_seeker you are comparing apples to oranges, Reagan is 80's there was a guy just 3 years ago (when it mattered) that offered a better 'Real Time' solution AND Ability, but the GOP decided otherwise, not really surprising to me.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2019, 02:46:01 am »
Trump on this topic?

Compared to who?  Reagan?  The GOP majority under  "speaker" Ryan?

Dr. Suess?

For anybody ever or still able to think straight, Trump was and remains your best chance.

If you got to be mad at somebody/something...how about Republicans/conservatives unable of persuading enough voters?

Agree with this @truth_seeker    But I would add:  "If you've got to be mad at somebody ... how about fu*%ing Nancy Pelosi and her cauldron of anti-American democrats.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2019, 02:48:22 am »
   Again @truth_seeker you are comparing apples to oranges, Reagan is 80's there was a guy just 3 years ago (when it mattered) that offered a better 'Real Time' solution AND Ability, but the GOP decided otherwise, not really surprising to me. 

Why not wait and see how this one votes before you start throwing rose petals at his beard.  Just a suggestion.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 02:49:42 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline corbe

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2019, 03:01:55 am »
Why not wait and see how this one votes before you start throwing rose petals at his beard.  Just a suggestion.

@truth_seeker was discussing Reagan (80's), I just brought the debate forward 35 years where it really matterers, pertaining to the current immigration debate @Right_in_Virginia and Cruz's Campaign platform.

Personally it really doesn't matter what Sen. Cruz does from here on out to me.  He is one of a hundred Senators with little clout in spite of being on the Trump Train for political expediency and I'm OK with it. I still believe he has kept mostly to his Conservative Core (last Budget Vote, withstanding), unlike your DJT who never had a Conservative CORE and never will.