Author Topic: President Trump's Rumored Potential Border Wall Deal Sounds Like Disastrous 1986 Immigration Comprom  (Read 18310 times)

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
President Trump's Rumored Potential Border Wall Deal Sounds Like Disastrous 1986 Immigration Compromise

Timothy Meads 

Posted: Jan 19, 2019 1:38 PM

UPDATE:

President Donald J. Trump finished his address moments ago, offering the Democratic Party a compromised illegal immigration solution that would bring an end to the government shut down, institute extended protection for DACA recipients and other illegal aliens, as well as provide initial funding for 230 miles of steel barriers along the southern border.

"If we are successful in this effort, we will have the best chance in a long time at bipartisan immigration reform, and it won’t stop here, it will keep going until we do it all,” the president told the nation.

"Our immigration system should be a source of pride, not a source of shame," the commander-in-chief added.

As noted by Fox News, "It would also offer $800 million for drug detection technology to secure ports of entry, 2,750 new border agents and law enforcement professionals, and 75 new immigration judges to reduce the backlog of asylum requests. He said that all his measures have been supported by Democrats before."

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/timothymeads/2019/01/19/rumors-of-president-trumps-supposed-border-wall-deal-sound-like-disastrous-1986-immigration-compromise-n2539311
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 10:27:35 pm by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
Updated.  Trump offers amnesty.

I didn't hear it that way, maybe I missed something...

I heard two sets of temporary protection measures from deportation:
1.  for 700-800,000 DACA recipients, 3 years of legislative protection from deportation, same renewal program, work permits, etc.
2.  extend temporary deportation protection for 200-300,000 TPS individuals, 12-18 month renewals

Like I said, I may have missed something, but that is all that I hoid on that front.

Offline libertybele

I didn't hear it that way, maybe I missed something...

I heard two sets of temporary protection measures from deportation:
1.  for 700-800,000 DACA recipients, 3 years of legislative protection from deportation, same renewal program, work permits, etc.
2.  extend temporary deportation protection for 200-300,000 TPS individuals, 12-18 month renewals

Like I said, I may have missed something, but that is all that I hoid on that front.

DACA, TPS = AMNESTY.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline EdJames

DACA, TPS = AMNESTY.

Only using the most hysterical definition of the word.  There is no path to citizenship involved, just some temporary deportation stays (for those that comply with the regulations).

Offline mountaineer

Lisa Mei Crowley    @LisaMei62

To those crying about amnesty being a part of the deal, that's not what he said. He offered a 3-yr extension on DACA/TPS while they work on immigration reform. He knows what he's doing. He had to make this public offer knowing they'd say NO before declaring a national emergency.
4:33 PM - 19 Jan 2019
Does it matter? Pelosi rejected it before he even said it.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline libertybele

Only using the most hysterical definition of the word.  There is no path to citizenship involved, just some temporary deportation stays (for those that comply with the regulations).

You can see it any way you like, I see that this opens the door to amnesty.  "Just some temporary deportation stays"; believing that and trusting the DEMS and RINOs is hysterical.   22222frying pan

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

Does it matter? Pelosi rejected it before he even said it.

Ironically, saved by Pelosi. 

Offline Chosen Daughter

Ironically, saved by Pelosi.

Not really saved.  He already proposed it.

Offline libertybele

Not really saved.  He already proposed it.

I get that, but Pelosi and Durbin already turned up their noses ... I look for them to propose additional benefits for illegals....we can only hope that Trump will reject it.

Offline Chosen Daughter

I get that, but Pelosi and Durbin already turned up their noses ... I look for them to propose additional benefits for illegals....we can only hope that Trump will reject it.

Could go either way.  Just being real since Kushner and his wife are on the job.

Offline corbe

This deal would codify obummers EO on DACA, next up PACA if that's not already included, it's stupid just as his next option is: declaring a National Emergency.  Looks more and more like that Master Negotiator label was false, too.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline libertybele

This deal would codify obummers EO on DACA, next up PACA if that's not already included, it's stupid just as his next option is: declaring a National Emergency.  Looks more and more like that Master Negotiator label was false, too.

@corbe why do you feel that declaring a National Emergency would be a stupid option?  I see it as his only option.

Offline corbe

@corbe why do you feel that declaring a National Emergency would be a stupid option?  I see it as his only option.

It practically is his only option left, IMHO @libertybele
   That border has been there for 166 years and has never been an emergency, perhaps if he could just remove the incentive for them to come here by removing employment opportunities (Everify) and benefits (removing sanctuary city status) and address the Visa overstays by beefing up the Technology and more Border Personnel, that is my favorite option but neither the dems nor the GOP want that so it won't happen, declare the 'National Emergency', feed the peasants more Bread and Circuses, the more things change the more they stay the same.....etc......
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Chosen Daughter

That border has been there for 166 years and has never been an emergency, perhaps if he could just remove the incentive for them to come here by removing employment opportunities (Everify) and benefits (removing sanctuary city status) and address the Visa overstays by beefing up the Technology and more Border Personnel, that is my favorite option but neither the dems nor the GOP want that so it won't happen, declare the 'National Emergency', feed the peasants more Bread and Circuses, the more things change the more they stay the same.....etc......

I absolutely agree.  We are inviting them.  But realistically none of these things are on the table.  And we have a liberal Congress.

Offline libertybele

Ok...the Secure Fence Act of 2006 was passed by BOTH Houses and never fully funded.  Trump is asking for the funding for this additional portion.   The DEMS have proposed making better ports of entry and providing more immigration lawyers!!  That spells amnesty.

You can increase the border personnel three fold, BUT their job becomes a heck of a lot easier and they are more efficient if they have a physical barrier.  In the interview with border patrol, areas that have fence stop illegals by 96%.  That's HUGE!

The only way that Trump and the American people have a remote chance of getting the much needed wall is if he declares a National Emergency.

No wall.  We lose our country.  Plain and simple.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

Thanks for a reasonable take @EdJames   You are exactly right.

This plan was basically announced yesterday and our two little fierce border warriors @Chosen Daughter and @libertybele have chosen to go off the rails in mischaracterizing the plan.

By withdrawing their support for Trump and for this proffered plan, they are making a compromise impossible.  Fortunately, they do not speak for everyone.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

@corbe   Your idea is great and the things you recommend should happen and may happen later but right now, you will surely agree we have an attack on our border with another caravan on its way and more to certainly form if this isn't settled.

This is a line in the sand and we've got to protect our borders.  I support Trump but he is dealing with an intractable enemy on the left.

I think we should all pull for this revised bill to pass the Senate and force the House to do something.

We can advance all the ideas we want but by pouting and refusing to support the leader who is working hard to do something, we are losing.

Anyway, you are my favorite NTer.

Offline libertybele

This plan was basically announced yesterday and our two little fierce border warriors @Chosen Daughter and @libertybele have chosen to go off the rails in mischaracterizing the plan.

By withdrawing their support for Trump and for this proffered plan, they are making a compromise impossible.  Fortunately, they do not speak for everyone.

You oh wise one @Emjay, who is all knowing and re-interprets what the President is doing  *****rollingeyes*****; DO NOT put words in my mouth nor make assumptions.  I have in no way withdrawn my support for President Trump and his stance on the border wall.  I stand very adamant on NO amnesty and not compromising our sovereignty.  IF you see that as withdrawing support for Trump's wall so be it.  I'll be damn if I give anyone a pass who would compromise on the sovereignty of this country.

You don't seem to comprehend the ramifications of amnesty, DACA, Dreamers, etc., on our country.  I've explained it before, I've laid out the stats numerous times.  If you don't agree or understand, that's fine.  However, don't sit and tell people what I do or do not stand for. 

Offline EdJames

Well, it is clear that Trump accomplished two primary objectives today:

1.  You can be sure that almost all of the so called "800,000" impacted federal workers were tuned in to see and hear what he had to say.  For most of them, I suspect that they saw a reasonable man delivering a fine presentation that demonstrated that he was willing to come to the table and bargain in good faith.  (The fact that they saw/heard the Dems come out and reject it out of hand scores more points for Trump.)
2.  He is beginning to drive a substantial wedge between the Pelosi extremists and the portion of the Democrat caucus that is already splintering off by saying that they understand the need for a wall/barrier and are interesting in finding an acceptable bargain.  Some of these House Dems ran on a more moderate stance in districts that Trump won handily in 2016, they understand what is expected of them.  At a minimum, Trump made it a bit harder for her to keep her coalition from splintering today.

I appreciate your reasoned approach to these topics as well!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 01:38:12 am by EdJames »

Offline corbe

Sorry @Emjay if I continue to disappoint but I can not get on board with anything that VP Pence, Cocaine Mitch, Jared Kushner and last but certainly not least the dick Durbin come up with.  I'm just weird that way and somewhat comfortable in my hate zone.

Offline DB

We're going to get DACA and no wall in the end. The "winning" continues...

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
You oh wise one @Emjay, who is all knowing and re-interprets what the President is doing  *****rollingeyes*****; DO NOT put words in my mouth nor make assumptions.  I have in no way withdrawn my support for President Trump and his stance on the border wall.  I stand very adamant on NO amnesty and not compromising our sovereignty.  IF you see that as withdrawing support for Trump's wall so be it.  I'll be damn if I give anyone a pass who would compromise on the sovereignty of this country.

You don't seem to comprehend the ramifications of amnesty, DACA, Dreamers, etc., on our country.  I've explained it before, I've laid out the stats numerous times.  If you don't agree or understand, that's fine.  However, don't sit and tell people what I do or do not stand for.

Didn't mean to offend you @libertybele but it was somewhat disquieting to come on here and see you and others start wailing and gnashing of teeth because of a compromise that you knew was coming from yesterday.

I know you are passionate about the wall but no more passionate than Trump is.  I don't like DACA or Dreamers but we have those now and this is a short extension for them which will be worth it if we can get a compromise on the wall.

I would not presume to tell you what you stand for but I would presume to tell you that you are wrong to dismiss this compromise without giving it a chance.

Because we do live in the real world and there's no use in expecting we can magically get something from the dems that they are dead set against giving.

If the Senate passes this bill and it goes to the House and passes, it will at least be some movement and may end up being a good thing in the long run.

If I could give Trump super powers I would, but we can't do that.  What we can do is support him now.

Offline Chosen Daughter

Yes @ Emjay, but it isn't like we are the only ones.  I remember when Michelle Malkin was highly respected by Conservatives.  Your only reason for response is your undying support of Trump regardless of what he does.

Trump did not win the election on amnesty.  This is the Lindsey Graham deal. 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 01:55:17 am by Chosen Daughter »

Online Hoodat

@corbe  . . . you are my favorite NTer.

Corbe an NTer?  That's an odd thing to say considering all the times he commended Trump when Trump did something Conservative.

For the umpteenth time, (Not AT) is not the same thing as (NT).  Apparently, some people here are simply unteachable.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-