Author Topic: Doctors Saved Man's Life by Pumping 15 Cans of Beer Into His Body  (Read 1446 times)

Online mountaineer

Doctors Saved Man's Life by Pumping 15 Cans of Beer Into His Body
By Aristos Georgiou
 1/17/19 at 12:52 PM

A man dying from alcohol poisoning was saved after doctors in Vietnam pumped 15 cans worth of beer into his body.

The 48-year-old, Nguyen Van Nhat, fell unconscious and was taken to a hospital in the central Vietnamese province of Quang Tri on December 25 where doctors found that levels of methanol—a dangerous form of alcohol—in his body were more than 1,000 times over the recommended limit, the Daily Mirror reported.

When he arrived, medical staff at the General Hospital’s Intensive Care Unit, led by Dr. Le Van Lam, immediately administered him with three cans of beer, equivalent to about 1 liter. Over the course of the day, doctors transfused a total of 15 cans of beer into the man’s body at a rate of about one every hour. This slowed down the rate at which his liver processed the methanol, allowing doctors to save his life.

There are two types of alcohol—ethanol and methanol—both of which produce similar effects and are toxic to the body to some degree. However, methanol—whose chemical structure varies slightly from its close relative—is not processed as well by the liver and thus can be far more dangerous when it is consumed in relatively large quantities. ...
Newsweek
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Doctors Saved Man's Life by Pumping 15 Cans of Beer Into His Body
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 08:19:35 pm »
I wonder how he got that much Methanol in him?  Is bathtub gin a thing again?  Sterno?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 09:19:20 pm »

Prior to Feb. 5, 1994 I tried to treat my alcoholism, with about 18 cans of beer, per 24 hour day; usually between about 6-11 pm.

After a few anxious months, and the twelve steps, I was restored to sanity. In a few days it will be 25 years.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 09:44:15 pm »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline the_doc

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 09:46:46 pm »
Methanol is really, really toxic stuff.  As I recall, if you stick your hand in a bucket of methanol for very long, it can kill you dead via skin absorption.

A few decades ago, some docs in Sweden demonstrated that they could reverse decades-long methanol-induced blindness (caused by methanol's nasty metabolites binding to the optic neural system) by infusing (i.e.,via IV) ethanol into those blind patients over long periods.  (They kept them pretty drunk for a matter of weeks, as a I recall.) 

The mechanism of this cure is different from the one in the case in Vietnam, but it still involves the biochemical competition between methanol and ethanol in the body's metabolism.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 01:18:44 am »
Prior to Feb. 5, 1994 I tried to treat my alcoholism, with about 18 cans of beer, per 24 hour day; usually between about 6-11 pm.

After a few anxious months, and the twelve steps, I was restored to sanity. In a few days it will be 25 years.
Good on you! Just passed 30 myself.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 01:55:59 am »
Good on you! Just passed 30 myself.

Congrats to you, sir.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 02:00:06 am »
Congrats to you, sir.
Thanks, and to you. After the first few weeks, I just got in my head it was something I didn't do, and after that it wasn't hard at all.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 02:59:36 pm »

Wow. I know that wasn't easy. Congratulations to you and Smokin Joe for your achievement.
My alcoholic brother's poison of choice is beer, though, dozens of servings per day, so I don't suppose drinking another type of alcohol would help in his case.  :crying:

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 08:49:33 pm »
Wow. I know that wasn't easy. Congratulations to you and Smokin Joe for your achievement.
My alcoholic brother's poison of choice is beer, though, dozens of servings per day, so I don't suppose drinking another type of alcohol would help in his case.  :crying:
No. only stopping would help him, and some don't. Keep praying for him, miracles happen.

C S Lewis

Online mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2019, 09:39:15 pm »
No. only stopping would help him, and some don't. Keep praying for him, miracles happen.
Indeed. At least one sting in rehab, a pending DUI and a couple of near death experiences and detoxes haven't persuaded him to stop. Only God can help him.