Author Topic: Trump expected to pitch immigration deal to end funding stalemate  (Read 4201 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump expected to pitch immigration deal to end funding stalemate
By Chris Mills Rodrigo - 01/19/19 12:34 PM EST

President Trump is expected to use his address Saturday afternoon to propose an immigration deal as part of a plan to secure border wall funding and reopen the federal government, according to multiple reports.

Axios and CNN reported that Trump is likely to offer passing the BRIDGE Act, which would extend protections for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program recipients, as well as legislation extending the legal status of Temporary Protected Status (TPS) holders in exchange for his requested $5.7 billion in border security funding.

Vice President Pence and White House adviser Jared Kushner led the formation of the proposed deal, according to Axios.

The White House did not immediately respond to The Hill's request for comment on Saturday.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/426159-trump-to-pitch-immigration-compromise-to-end-funding-stalemate-report
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Re: Trump expected to pitch immigration deal to end funding stalemate
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 06:12:35 pm »
I'm afraid this will be seen as capitulation by a lot of people here, but I think it is a calculated risk by Trump. 

These concessions won't really change things for us dramatically.  And they will call out Pelosi and gang to reveal their true agendas.

If they reject this deal, which gives them something they claim to want desperately, out of a petty desire to thwart Trump in getting a fraction of what we need for the wall, they will be showing their true colors. 

I would not be surprised if they did just that.  But it will be a public relations failure for them and a win for Trump.  He would then be totally justified in declaring a national emergency.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 06:35:53 pm »
Except, @Emjay - the declaration isn't without its own risk. Once that step is made, it becomes a battle in the courts, after inevitable legal challenges. In the meantime, Trump would be hard pressed to justify continuing the partial shutdown. Departments like DHS are included. You can't credibility declare an emergency, then rufuse to fund the departments that handle those duties.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 06:40:08 pm »
Except, @Emjay - the declaration isn't without its own risk. Once that step is made, it becomes a battle in the courts, after inevitable legal challenges. In the meantime, Trump would be hard pressed to justify continuing the partial shutdown. Departments like DHS are included. You can't credibility declare an emergency, then rufuse to fund the departments that handle those duties.

Of course, the left has judges clutching their gavels ready to pounce on this.

But, how else to resolve this stalemate?  Trump can't just fold.  His credibility rides on this.

I think this is a strategic move to force the hands of Pelosi/Schumer.  Schumer is already weak.

The left has declared themselves passionately for DACA and if they turn down this chance to get it, it will have repercussions with the base.

Offline edpc

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 06:55:15 pm »
The left has declared themselves passionately for DACA and if they turn down this chance to get it, it will have repercussions with the base.

Maybe, but not funding the wall is just as important to that base. As a minority leader in the Senate, it's not really relevant what Schumer thinks. Pelosi holds the gavel and decides what votes come to the floor. It's the same as when Ryan was in charge. He didn't bring wall funding to a vote until he was on his way out the door. I think they're happy to force the declaration, for the reasons I previously mentioned.

Looks like the announcement is moved back to 4 PM and Democrats are saying it’s a no go.

Democrats Signal They’ll Reject New Trump Plan on Dreamers, Wall

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-19/trump-promises-announcement-on-border-as-talks-remain-stalled
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 07:07:58 pm by edpc »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 07:38:43 pm »
Amnesty.
 9999hair out0000

Online corbe

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 07:48:46 pm »
   The Trumpers will be along shortly to tell us how brilliant this deal is, be patient.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2019, 08:00:25 pm »
Amnesty.
 9999hair out0000

Reminds me the Great Big Start, of our continuing immigration issues.

Pres. Reagan, 1986.

I was absolutely furious, since my take was it set precedent for illegal immigrants to first get here, wait it out, with a very realistic hoe of not getting caught, enjoying a better life, and possible eventual Amnesty.

I give Trump for being the first Pres. since Eisenhower to take the topic seriously.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 08:15:09 pm »
Moot.  The demonrats have already rejected it.   happy77

Offline jpsb

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2019, 08:18:49 pm »

The courts are going to tell the President of the Unites States that he can not declare a national emergency? I don't think so. But if they did that would be at the SC the next day.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2019, 08:28:03 pm »
Reminds me the Great Big Start, of our continuing immigration issues.

Pres. Reagan, 1986.

I was absolutely furious, since my take was it set precedent for illegal immigrants to first get here, wait it out, with a very realistic hoe of not getting caught, enjoying a better life, and possible eventual Amnesty.

I give Trump for being the first Pres. since Eisenhower to take the topic seriously.

LOL! PREDICTION:
Amnesty will happen on the promise of the wall being built...
After amnesty, funds will be removed from building the wall...

SOSDD.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2019, 08:31:20 pm »
Find Soros bag man and have him ready, on a spit, to toss in Pelosi's face if she remains dug in.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline edpc

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2019, 08:32:09 pm »
The courts are going to tell the President of the Unites States that he can not declare a national emergency? I don't think so. But if they did that would be at the SC the next day.

Declaring the emergency isn't what will be challenged. Revenue reassigned from different areas will be. You can expect a separate challenge for each source diverted to clog up the legal system.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2019, 08:44:20 pm »
Axios and CNN reported that Trump is likely to offer passing the BRIDGE Act, which would extend protections for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program recipients, as well as legislation extending the legal status of Temporary Protected Status (TPS) holders in exchange for his requested $5.7 billion in border security funding.

Trump offered the Democrats DACA once before.  They said they weren't interested then, and they will do the same now.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2019, 08:48:42 pm »
   The Trumpers will be along shortly to tell us how brilliant this deal is, be patient.

If you classify me as a Trumper, I was the first to post that this deal is a good strategic move to force the democrats to show their true colors.

What would you suggest @corbe

Offline edpc

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2019, 08:49:07 pm »
Trump offered the Democrats DACA once before.  They said they weren't interested then, and they will do the same now.

Actually, it was the other way around. That's what led to last year's shutdown.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2019, 08:53:19 pm »

Are you saying that last year the Dems offered a wall if Trump would approve DACA?

I don't remember it that way.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2019, 08:56:57 pm »

Here is what Trump offered last January:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/white-house-framework-immigration-reform-border-security/
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline edpc

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2019, 09:06:57 pm »
Are you saying that last year the Dems offered a wall if Trump would approve DACA?

I don't remember it that way.

Well, that's what happened and the mantra at the time was Dems cared more about DACA than keeping the government open. It led to the 'Schumer Shutdown.'

January 9: Federal court puts hold on Trump's plan to end DACA, ordering renewals of permits to continue but no new applications.

January 11: After months of meetings, Democrat Dick Durbin and Republican Lindsey Graham go to the White House to propose to Trump a compromise worked out by their group of six bipartisan senators. The offer includes a path to citizenship for eligible young immigrants, the first year of Trump's border wall funding, ending the diversity visa lottery and reallocating those visas, and restricting the ability of former DACA recipients to sponsor family.

Trump and the White House invite hardline Republicans to the meeting and he rejects the deal, making his now-infamous "shithole countries" comment in the process.

January 19: House before a government funding deadline, Schumer and Trump meet for lunch at the White House. Schumer offered Trump the upwards of $20 billion he wanted for his border wall in exchange for a pathway to citizenship for the eligible immigrant population. The deal is rejected, and government shuts down at midnight.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/03/23/politics/daca-rejected-deals-trump/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fr.search.yahoo.com%2F_ylt%3DAwrE19_xkENcK0YAzk5x.9w4%3B_ylu%3DX3oDMTE0YWx2N3U5BGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMzBHZ0aWQDVUkyRkJUMl8xBHNlYwNzcg--%2FRV%3D2%2FRE%3D1547960689%2FRO%3D10%2FRU%3Dhttps%253a%252f%252fwww.cnn.com%252f2018%252f03%252f23%252fpolitics%252fdaca-rejected-deals-trump%252findex.html%2FRK%3D2%2FRS%3DGNRKO_dmA9A2OuCpmsebVqMqog8-

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2019, 09:16:47 pm »
 "I intend to keep this promise one way or another."

Donald J. Trump, 1/19/2019
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2019, 09:27:33 pm »
Trump can't win on this issue.  The Congress is corrupt, and so too the Supreme Court.  John Roberts(a stinking Bush appointee) is the 5th vote against anything Trump wants.  He is the moron that gave us Obamacare, you know, that extra $2,500 a year in saved premiums we all are experiencing, the low deductibles, the chance to keep your plan and doctors.

BTW, for those that do not understand sarcasm, the above is sarcasm on steroids!

I oppose the whole Dreamer nonsense, and if the Dems refuse to any agreement, for a 2nd time, then I suggest Trump begin immediate deportations of ALL ILLEGAL INVADING ALIENS, no exception! You cannot deport 11 million, 22 million, whatever the number is without trying.  START!

And I think it should be mandatory for all illegal aliens to leave to be considered for legal entry.  There are literally millions of people around the world waiting for many years for the opportunity to come here.  I do not think we should give people who violate our laws any special treatment or consideration.

End the refugee nonsense, end anchor baby nonsense, and embrace a system that only allows people to come to America legally.  Anyone else entering illegally is committing a felony and subject to permament deportation.

However, an idea for Trump is the following:

Charge every illegal alien a $3,000 Illegal Entry Fee, and require them to present their incomes for every year since their entry, and pay taxes on those incomes.  The revenue generated from such a program would build a wall on both the south and north border.

My wife is an immigrant, and I paid roughly $2,000 in form fees to the federal government for each form submitted to have her status changed.  It should be MANDATORY for them to pay these fees too.

Finally, if we award them amnesty, it comes with the caveat that they are restricted from voting for a period of 20 years.  And if caught voting, it is an immediate deportation offense.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2019, 09:37:26 pm »

Some people just don't seem to understand that politics is the Art of the Possible.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2019, 09:39:18 pm »
Some people just don't seem to understand that politics is the Art of the Possible.

Amnesty. For every man jack of em since the 80's.
That price is too high.
and you won't get the wall anyway.

Online libertybele

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2019, 10:00:14 pm »
He offered amnesty.  Period.  Pelosi and Durbin responded that they didn't think that they would have the votes.  This was offered to them before and was turned down then.  Not quite sure the President felt that he would get a different result; although I will be very relieved if it doesn't get the votes.  It would be a death sentence for the GOP.

"President Trump, in a televised White House address Saturday, offered Democrats a compromise package on immigration in an effort to end the nearly month long partial government shutdown -- although Democrats dismissed the olive branch as a "non-starter" before Trump even spoke.

Trump announced that he was prepared to back a three-year extension of protections for 700,000 immigrants who came to the country illegally as children and were shielded from deportation under the Obama-era Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, in exchange for the $5.7 billion he has requested for a barrier on the southern border........."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-offers-dems-an-immigration-compromise-early-signs-of-rejection
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline edpc

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2019, 10:02:37 pm »

Maybe, but we understand that since it was not a fulfillment of the emergency declaration or government employee RIF wet dream, contortions will occur to make it seem like this DOA Saturday afternoon matinee was actually somehow better.