Author Topic: Trump says will make 'major' announcement Saturday on shutdown  (Read 4115 times)

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Re: Trump says will make 'major' announcement Saturday on shutdown
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2019, 06:36:50 pm »
I have it from a very 'reliable source' (you all know that means I pulled it out of my butt) that the currently Dead Justice Ginsburg will vote Aye for Trump and the wall.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2019, 06:38:20 pm »
I have it from a very 'reliable source' (you all know that means I pulled it out of my butt) that the currently Dead Justice Ginsburg will vote Aye for Trump and the wall.

Justice is dead? Who knew?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2019, 06:57:46 pm »
Mummification is not a Jewish thing.
Actually, according to religious law they have to have her in the ground as soon as she passes.
Then sitting shiva.

Look for this.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2019, 07:07:23 pm »
 Looks like the announcement is moved back to 4 PM and Democrats are saying it’s a no go.

Democrats Signal They’ll Reject New Trump Plan on Dreamers, Wall

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-19/trump-promises-announcement-on-border-as-talks-remain-stalled
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2019, 07:08:45 pm »
Resignation?

Sort of.  Trump will announce that:

• Ruth Bader Ginsburg has tendered her resignation
  • Trump has named Amy Coney Barrett to replace her
  • Mitch McConnell has scheduled a confirmation vote at 3:15 pm
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2019, 07:50:52 pm »
Apparently some Jewish 'sources' which I cannot reveal and I totally made up, have said that RBG is dead and will be buried tomorrow. Good luck with that. The weather sucks.

I don't know how they are going to dig..wait, they dug this months ago...she has been dead for a year!

Offline jpsb

President Trump to make announcement from the White House on Saturday at 3:00 pm ET
Twitter, Jan 18, 2019, Donald J. Trump

Donald J. Trump
Verified accountï‚™ @realDonaldTrump 

I will be making a major announcement concerning the Humanitarian Crisis on our Southern Border, and the Shutdown, tomorrow afternoon at 3 P.M., live from the @WhiteHouse.

2:51 PM - 18 Jan 2019 

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1086395559504764930?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Dreamers for the wall, I don't like it but I can live with it as long as the Dreamers are (well) vetted.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2019, 08:09:34 pm »
Make a note...THIS is what Trump is going to do today:

1. He will make a straight offer of full border wall funding in exchange for a DACA deal.
2. He will give Congress 10 days (until the State of the Union) to put legislation on his desk.
3. After 10 days, at the state of the Union, if there is no bill he will declare a state of emergency and begin building the wall with other funds.
4. At that point, any DACA deal is off the table.
5. This will be a take it or leave it deal...take it and get DACA...or don't take it and get nothing while the wall still gets built under an emergency directive.

This will have multiple effects but its primary effect will be to separate the Hispanic caucus and Dem moderates from the hardcore "NeverWall" lefties...because they will have to choose to pass on a deal for 1.8 million DACA folks if they don't compromise with the President. This will put tremendous pressure on Pelosi/Schumer to back down and deal...and they will have to choose between their FAR left and traditional left.

As always, the President will have Trumped the Dims once again. If they cave and make a deal, they piss off their Far Left and Trump looks like he's won and he gets his wall. If they don't cave...and my guess is that ultimately they won't...they alienate moderates and their Hispanic caucus...and Trump still gets his wall.

:thumbsup:

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Dreamers for the wall, I don't like it but I can live with it as long as the Dreamers are (well) vetted.

DACA cave?  yeah, another one in the back folks, one jab at a time.  In two years we will be calling him Amnesty Don.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2019, 08:14:23 pm »
Sort of.  Trump will announce that:

• Ruth Bader Ginsburg has tendered her resignation
  • Trump has named Amy Coney Barrett to replace her
  • Mitch McConnell has scheduled a confirmation vote at 3:15 pm

lol, vote it

Offline edpc

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2019, 08:41:14 pm »
This is a meaninglessness stunt. The Dems will either reject it outright, due to the $5.7B wall money or they'll counter it with an offer of money for 'border security' items that are specifically earmarked for something other than a barrier. Either way, it's dead.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2019, 08:42:27 pm »

You are leaving something out. Once he makes the emergency declaration, it will be challenged in the courts. He can always petition SCOTUS to hear it right away and jump the appellate process. They have no obligation to do so and may decline. In that instance, it becomes mired in the courts for years, potentially and he loses all leverage.

Well, I'm not so much leaving it out as taking as a given...though I think your timeline is WAY off. I see a writ of certiaori taking this one right to the top as it conceivably constitutes a constitutional crisis...particularly if the President, as he should, chooses to ignore a District Court ruling by a cherry picked lib judge.

If I were in Trump's shoes, I'd keep building right up until the Supreme Court told me to stop...lower courts can pound sand and IMHO have no real jurisdiction in settling a constitutional conflict between two branches of government of this magnitude.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

I agree. The Dreamers any are already here. Many working.

Of all the immigration-related topics, Dreamers concern me the least.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 08:54:45 pm by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline edpc

« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2019, 08:56:49 pm »
Well, I'm not so much leaving it out as taking as a given...though I think your timeline is WAY off. I see a writ of certiaori taking this one right to the top as it conceivably constitutes a constitutional crisis...particularly if the President, as he should, chooses to ignore a District Court ruling by a cherry picked lib judge.

If I were in Trump's shoes, I'd keep building right up until the Supreme Court told me to stop...lower courts can pound sand and IMHO have no real jurisdiction in settling a constitutional conflict between two branches of government of this magnitude.

That's exactly what happened with the travel ban. It was one of the first things Trump did and wasn't settled by SCOTUS until this past June. So, constitutional conflicts and Executive decisions made on the basis of national security can be and have been delayed by lower court decisions.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2019, 09:03:30 pm »

That's exactly what happened with the travel ban. It was one of the first things Trump did and wasn't settled by SCOTUS until this past June. So, constitutional conflicts and Executive decisions made on the basis of national security can be and have been delayed by lower court decisions.

I think the magnitude of this one makes certiaori far more likely...especially if he ignores the lower courts and keeps working until the Supremes rule. The travel ban was small beans in comparison to this situation IMHO...because this is leading into a true constitutional crisis.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
I agree. The Dreamers any are already here. Many working.

Of all the immigration-related topics, Dreamers concern me the least.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a growing tide of "illegals" who are already "safely" ensconced in our system to advocate for a wall. Why would they want a bunch of interlopers crashing their party? They wouldn't.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2019, 09:20:20 pm »

But never should have IMHO.  A single unelected federal district court judge does not have such powers!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2019, 09:21:33 pm »
I think the political calculation both parties are making now  is when are they going give in and therefore look like the adult in the room. I think this is timed to give Trump the opportunity to play the hand first before Congress can reconvene next Tuesday..

Both parties need the middle to win elections. Forcing government employees to work without pay, other government employees in non salaried positions to lose their paycheck with no chance to make it up and government contractors with no work and no pay doesn't sit will with the vast middle class living pay check to pay check.

It would not surprise me at all for Trump to declare an emergency to build the wall and say he will sign the bill in the Senate to end the shut down. If he doesn't then I think you will see the Dims giving in next week and spend the next two years reminding the voters how Trump and the GOP don't give a damn about the middle class and how they put ending the shut down above politics to help the little guy... :shrug:

Too late for that.

The country has been observing dueling five year olds, and it's far too late to pretend that there are any adults involved.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline truth_seeker

I wouldn't be surprised to see a growing tide of "illegals" who are already "safely" ensconced in our system to advocate for a wall. Why would they want a bunch of interlopers crashing their party? They wouldn't.
Levin and others often state, the main beneficiaries of better controlled illegal immigration, are low wage blacks and Hispanics.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2019, 09:37:37 pm »
Just heard speech on Radio. I felt he made a sober, reasoned pitch.

Looking towards 2020, anybody opposing this proposal, rejects both border security and DACA.

That means all House Reps, all Potus candidates, and 1/3 of Senators.

Offline edpc

« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2019, 09:39:02 pm »
I think the magnitude of this one makes certiaori far more likely...especially if he ignores the lower courts and keeps working until the Supremes rule. The travel ban was small beans in comparison to this situation IMHO...because this is leading into a true constitutional crisis.

He will need five SCOTUS judges to agree it needs to be fast tracked. Good luck with Roberts.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2019, 10:01:45 pm »

He will need five SCOTUS judges to agree it needs to be fast tracked. Good luck with Roberts.

I guess it's academic at this point, the Big Speech was reiterating an existing offer to the Rats and that was pretty much it.  Oh, more cajoling, which is what I've come to expect.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline berdie

« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2019, 10:45:55 pm »
More politics, imho.

They are all a bunch of do nothings. (Sorry but I'm a little angry at our elected officials right now.).

Offline Applewood

« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2019, 10:57:46 pm »
More politics, imho.

They are all a bunch of do nothings. (Sorry but I'm a little angry at our elected officials right now.).

More like reality tv.  And I don't blame you for being ticked at the whole lot of them. 

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2019, 10:58:19 pm »
So.... the speech is over?
What did he say?

(I almost never watch such stuff)