Author Topic: 66 Media Mistakes in the Trump Era: The Definitive List  (Read 572 times)

rangerrebew

66 Media Mistakes in the Trump Era: The Definitive List
« on: January 18, 2019, 06:20:19 pm »

66 Media Mistakes in the Trump Era: The Definitive List

by sattkisson   on January 16, 2019 in News   

Screen Shot 2018-06-10 at 10.46.26 AM
Updated Jan. 2019

We the media have “fact-checked” President Trump like we have fact-checked no other human being on the planet—and he’s certainly given us plenty to write about. That’s probably why it’s so easy to find lists enumerating and examining his mistakes, missteps and “lies.”

But as self-appointed arbiters of truth, we’ve largely excused our own unprecedented string of fact-challenged reporting. The truth is, formerly well-respected, top news organizations are making repeat, unforced errors in numbers that were unheard of just a couple of years ago.

Our repeat mistakes involve declaring that Trump’s claims are “lies” when they are matters of opinion, or when the truth between conflicting sources is unknowable; taking Trump’s statements and events out of context; reporting secondhand accounts against Trump without attribution as if they’re established fact; relying on untruthful, conflicted sources; and presenting reporter opinions in news stories—without labeling them as opinions.

https://sharylattkisson.com/2019/01/16/50-media-mistakes-in-the-trump-era-the-definitive-list/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SharylAttkisson+%28Sharyl+Attkisson%29

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: 66 Media Mistakes in the Trump Era: The Definitive List
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 08:44:27 pm »
Atkisson is one of the few out there who are decent journalists. She broke the Fast and Furious story on CBS, and suffered  for it, IIRC.

What she exposes is the true TDS out there--in the media.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 01:13:23 am »
Sure makes it hard to believe anything from the MSM.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 01:34:35 am »
Sure makes it hard to believe anything from the MSM.
I think between Dan Rather and Walter Cronkite a healthy skepticism of their veracity was well established. In general, any event I had been present for which made the papers was a mess, journalistically, unrecognizable by their account. It didn't take long before we were issuing press releases and sound byte write-ups to everyone from the papers and TV folks to parade announcers--and did a far better job of writing them. We encouraged them to use any or all of what we had written, without attribution, which made them look better and was free for us.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis