Author Topic: House Republicans call for moving State of the Union to Senate chamber  (Read 1504 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
House Republicans call for moving State of the Union to Senate chamber
By Cristina Marcos - 01/17/19 12:22 PM EST

Some House Republicans are pushing for President Trump to deliver the State of the Union address in the Senate chamber after Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) suggested it be rescheduled due to the government shutdown.

Rep. Mo Brooks (R-Ala.) is circulating a letter asking Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and Vice President Pence to consider moving the speech across the Capitol. He also suggested that House Democrats should get low-priority seating.

"Space limitations may restrict the number of Congressmen who may attend. Inasmuch as House Democrats are responsible for the State of the Union not being timely held in the House chamber, I recommend that House Democrats be at the bottom of the priority list for attendance inasmuch as they are responsible for the lack of adequate space in the first instance," Brooks wrote in the letter.

Ten other lawmakers have signed onto the letter so far, as of midday Thursday, according to a spokesman.

"Holding the State of the Union in the Senate chamber is the best way to reveal the veracity of Speaker Pelosi's alleged once-in-history reason for cancelling or postponing the State of the Union," the letter states.

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) also suggested earlier Thursday that the address could be moved to the Senate.

"What I would suggest is — Sen. McConnell’s in charge of the Senate; let’s host it in the Senate," Paul said on "Fox & Friends." "This would be the first time in history that the House would deny the president the forum of speaking."

"If she’s going to do that, let’s hold it in the Senate," Paul concluded.

McConnell's office didn't immediately return a request for comment.

Joint sessions and meetings of Congress have typically taken place in the House chamber since 1809.

But according to the Senate historian's office, presidents have delivered addresses in the Senate chamber before, including Presidents Gerald Ford, Richard Nixon, Harry Truman and Herbert Hoover.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/425851-house-republicans-call-for-moving-state-of-the-union-to-senate-chamber
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 06:09:55 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: House Republicans call for moving State of the Union to Senate chamber
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 06:07:35 pm »
White House mulling whether McConnell can invite Trump for SOTU

Top White House officials are discussing whether the GOP-controlled Senate could invite President Trump to deliver the State of the Union address. This, in the wake of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s suggestion Wednesday that the address be postponed or relegated to being done in writing due to the partial government shutdown, now in its 27th day.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s staff hasn’t responded yet to CBS News’ request for comment.

Senior administration officials say there is increased talk in the White House about wanting the shutdown ended. But that is paired with a continued insistence that there will be no reopening of the government without the funding Mr. Trump is demanding for a southern border wall — $5.7 billion.

CBS Posted at 10:55 am on January 17, 2019

https://hotair.com/headlines/archives/2019/01/white-house-mulling-whether-mcconnell-can-invite-trump-sotu/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 06:10:57 pm »
Sounds good to me, except for the rock-bottom seating priority.  Members of the House should be barred from attending at all.  Let them receive the SOTU via a post on whitehouse.gov.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 06:16:20 pm »
Pelosi and friends will welcome the excuse to not attend.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 06:21:04 pm »

Fine with me.  Let her illustrate, in living color, her attitude about "working with the President."

This will backfire on her. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 06:54:28 pm »
I dont think so.

Nancy wants to seen wielding power behind Trump.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 07:16:10 pm »
I dont think so.

Nancy wants to seen wielding power behind Trump.
That's not what Nancy has been wielding behind Trump!

Yeah I know it's crass and fake, but also it sooo Nancy!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 07:17:05 pm by GtHawk »

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 07:35:19 pm »
Sounds good to me, except for the rock-bottom seating priority.  Members of the House should be barred from attending at all.  Let them receive the SOTU via a post on whitehouse.gov.
All the House Dems do anyway is play games on their taxpayer funded smart phones during the Address anyhow.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 07:49:37 pm »
It doesn't have to be from the Capitol in this day and age of electronic wizardry. Trump should rent an arena somewhere near the border, invite all the victims of crimes committed by illegal immigrants, and stream the speech live.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 07:56:34 pm »
It doesn't have to be from the Capitol in this day and age of electronic wizardry. Trump should rent an arena somewhere near the border, invite all the victims of crimes committed by illegal immigrants, and stream the speech live.

For once I'd like to hear a President say, "The State of the Union is for shit, and here's why."
I will NOT comply.

Online libertybele

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 09:34:44 pm »

That's fine, I didn't particularly want to see her absurd facial expressions during Trump's State of the Union anyways.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 09:36:13 pm »
That's fine, I didn't particularly want to see her absurd facial expressions during Trump's State of the Union anyways.
Some day she's going to chew off her own face.
At least we don't have to see RBG snoozing during the SOTU this year.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online libertybele

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 09:37:26 pm »
If he doesn't deliver it from the floor of the Senate then give the address from the oval office addressing, the House the Senate and the American people.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2019, 09:56:08 pm »
If Mitch will go along with it, I think it would be a good move.
The Republic is lost.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2019, 10:20:27 pm »
For once I'd like to hear a President say, "The State of the Union is for shit, and here's why."

This will have to do...

Sorry...

Online Hoodat

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2019, 10:32:14 pm »
Rep. Mo Brooks (R-Ala.) is circulating a letter asking Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and Vice President Pence to consider moving the speech across the Capitol. He also suggested that House Democrats should get low-priority seating.

'Rep. Mo Brooks' would be 'Senator Mo Brooks' had the Trump forces chosen to back the Conservative candidate instead of the Establishment candidate.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2019, 12:26:29 am »
If he doesn't deliver it from the floor of the Senate then give the address from the oval office addressing, the House the Senate and the American people.

No.  Let the House receive it online.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2019, 01:44:46 am »
This would work for me, if Mr. Trump still wants to give an address to Congress.

Hold it in the Senate.
Invite the REPUBLICAN members of the House ONLY.
DO NOT invite any democrat-communist Representatives.

Mr. McConnell should tell Schmucky Chuck to his face that if the democrat-communist senators try to filibuster this, that he (McConnell) will move to NUKE the filibuster rule right then and there.

That will shut Schumer up quickly.

That's plan A, here's plan B:

Pick a venue in DC such as the Kennedy Center.
Hold the address there.
Invite the Republican members of Congress ONLY.
No democrat-communist senators or reps AT ALL.
If there are spare seats, invite the general public.
Hold a lottery for those available seats if need be.

That's the advice I'd give to Mr. Trump...