Author Topic: California set to seize 1,100 miles of coastline  (Read 1600 times)

Offline mrclose

California set to seize 1,100 miles of coastline
« on: January 16, 2019, 05:43:48 pm »
Let's see how the wankers who were lamenting over the possible land seizing that Trump was going to have to do to build a border wall will react to this? :shrug:

(Trump wouldn't need to land grab due to the Roosevelt Reservation Act of 1907)

The California Coastal Commission is set to empower local government to take thousands of properties through eminent domain along 1,100 miles of coastline to prepare for sea level rise.

Despite California being battered by 4-8 inches of torrential rain and flooding from an El Niño weather cycle, E&E News reported that the State of California in late January will authorize eminent domain authority for local jurisdictions to implement a "managed retreat" policy that will allow taking and demolishing coastal homes and businesses.

The California Coastal Commission circulated an 87-page "Draft Residential Adaptation Guidance" in March regarding how communities could proactively address sea level rise impacts through Local Coastal Programs (LCPs).  Although the CCC draft did not adopt specific retreat guidance, the California Special Districts magazine expects that the CCC will predict a sea level rise of 2.5-5.5 feet and the elimination of 31-67 percent of Southern California beaches by the year 2100.

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2019/01/california_set_to_seize_1100_miles_of_coastline.html
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 07:01:19 pm by mrclose »
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline skeeter

Re: California set to seize 1,100 miles of coastline
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 05:46:33 pm »
And they're gonna finance these seizures by renting the properties until they're actually threatened by rising sea levels.

You can almost hear them laughing their *sses off in council chambers across the state.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 06:22:58 pm »
And from on-the-ground, reality:

I live in a city with over 10 (ten) miles of coastline. I live near sea level. I have owned for 44 years (lived on coast for 52 yrs.

The area ncludes three big pleasure boating harbors, including the one with the most boats in the country, Newport Beach.

I assure you there is not currently a word about this. Not in media. Not in council meetings. Not among neighbors. No warnings when visiting the beach, of danger.

We had an extreme El Nino year in the mid 1980s, and a flood system channel broke through the banks. The entire flood channel system has been significantly improved.

If the sea level rises significantly - yes, a "retreat would be in the news. 

Voters are now so stupid, they would likely agree to a "sky is falling" tax increase.

Kids been brainwashed about global warming, diversity for decades.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 06:33:19 pm »

Despite California being battered by 4-8 inches of torrential rain and flooding from an El Niño weather cycle, E&E News reported that the State of California in late January will authorize eminent domain authority for local jurisdictions to implement a "managed retreat" policy that will allow taking and demolishing coastal homes and businesses.

@mrclose

You don't REALLY think the state pols are willing to allow the local pols to control all the contracts and kickbacks related to that,do you?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline mrclose

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 06:58:33 pm »
@mrclose

You don't REALLY think the state pols are willing to allow the local pols to control all the contracts and kickbacks related to that,do you?
@sneakypete

It's California!

I say, let them fight it out.
I'll get the popcorn ready! :2popcorn:
~ Self

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 08:35:13 pm »
I'm speaking from someone who's quite far away from California, but the way I understand it, the ocean currents flow in such a way that most of California's coastline is actually steep cliffs. If so, that would mean it would take catastrophic sea level rise to actually cause any substantial problems.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline thackney

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 09:00:53 pm »
...but the way I understand it, the ocean currents flow in such a way that most of California's coastline is actually steep cliffs...

You really think ocean currents develop the geology that produces mountains?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 09:08:25 pm »
I hope they seize Barbra Streisand's house.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 09:32:34 pm »

Yes, a very odd observation.

There are numerous places with low lying land, and large populations. Parts of Los Angeles, Orange county, San Diego, Bay Area come to mind.

I do not need degrees in meteorology, geography, geology, hydrology, etc. to learn about that.

Holland is a place, where humankind has dealt with the encroaching sea.

When the US decides sea level is on the rise, measures could be taken.

I have not yet heard of such measures, so I don't believe we yet have aufficiently certain reason to start reclaiming land from the sea.

I live lose to the sea, at near sea level, and coastal wetlands, and county flood control channels, and a major river.  We are near the largest pleasure boat harbor in the country, measured by the number of craft. (multi-million $ properties on the bay and on the beach.)

I will worry when those interests worry by selling.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 09:33:43 pm »
That and the rotation of the Pacific Plate (San Andreas Fault and all). In all, a far different scenario compared to, for example, the South, where the Gulf Stream runs along gentle plains.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 09:34:52 pm »
Yes, a very odd observation.

There are numerous places with low lying land, and large populations. Parts of Los Angeles, Orange county, San Diego, Bay Area come to mind.

I do not need degrees in meteorology, geography, geology, hydrology, etc. to learn about that.
You live there. I'll defer to your firsthand experience with it—like I said, I've never actually been there, just going what I've heard secondhand.

Offline thackney

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 09:39:25 pm »
...We are near the largest pleasure boat harbor in the country, measured by the number of craft....

Marina del Rey?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 10:10:11 pm »
Marina del Rey?
No. Newport Beach.

But the point is, a great deal of wealth is in those coastal areas which are the most at risk from sea level changes.

Be it Marina Del Rey, Newport, San Fran area, those folks can afford to prepare for risk solving measures.

I see little to no worry.

Newport claimed the largest recreation harbor on the West coast.

https://www.visitnewportbeach.com/things-to-do/newport-harbor/

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 10:16:34 pm »
No. Newport Beach.

But the point is, a great deal of wealth is in those coastal areas which are the most at risk from sea level changes.

@truth_seeker

More correctly they can make enough donations to politicians to get them to write bills to spend taxpayer money  to protect them from sea level changes.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 10:20:00 pm »
@truth_seeker

More correctly they can make enough donations to politicians to get them to write bills to spend taxpayer money  to protect them from sea level changes.

I have lived here a long time. I don't see any significant measures, period.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2019, 10:35:36 pm »
Let's see how the wankers who were lamenting over the possible land seizing that Trump was going to have to do to build a border wall will react to this? :shrug:

(Trump wouldn't need to land grab due to the Roosevelt Reservation Act of 1907)

:whistle:

think eminent domain is wonderful, if you're building a highway, and you need to build, as an example, a highway, and you're going to be blocked by a holdout, or, in some cases, it's a holdout—just so you understand, nobody knows this better than I do, because I built a lot of buildings in Manhattan, and you'll have 12 sites and you'll get 11 and you'll have the one holdout and you end up building around them and everything else, okay? So, I know it better than anybody. I think eminent domain for massive projects, for instance, you're going to create thousands of jobs, and you have somebody that's in the way, and you pay that person far more—don't forget, eminent domain, they get a lot of money, and you need a house in a certain location, because you're going to build this massive development that's going to employ thousands of people, or you're going to build a factory, that without this little house, you can't build the factory—I think eminent domain is fine.

https://reason.com/blog/2015/10/06/donald-trump-thinks-kelo-style-eminent-d

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline mrclose

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2019, 11:01:26 pm »

:whistle:

https://reason.com/blog/2015/10/06/donald-trump-thinks-kelo-style-eminent-d

No eminent domain is needed.

As I have said, more than once, the feds own an easement that runs along the entire border.

A report by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service from 2008 states ...

Construction activities associated with the installation of 4.55 miles of fence will occur entirely within the 60-foot Roosevelt Reservation.

http://www.fws.gov/southwest/es/arizona/Documents/Biol_Opin/080011_LukevillePrimaryFence.pdf
~ Self

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2019, 04:29:23 am »
And from on-the-ground, reality:

I live in a city with over 10 (ten) miles of coastline. I live near sea level. I have owned for 44 years (lived on coast for 52 yrs.

The area ncludes three big pleasure boating harbors, including the one with the most boats in the country, Newport Beach.

I assure you there is not currently a word about this. Not in media. Not in council meetings. Not among neighbors. No warnings when visiting the beach, of danger.

We had an extreme El Nino year in the mid 1980s, and a flood system channel broke through the banks. The entire flood channel system has been significantly improved.

If the sea level rises significantly - yes, a "retreat would be in the news. 

Voters are now so stupid, they would likely agree to a "sky is falling" tax increase.

Kids been brainwashed about global warming, diversity for decades.
Before anywhere else I want in California I want to see them seize the Jonathon Beach Club in Santa Monica, a most exclusive private club with membership consisting of the wealthiest, most elite 'celebrities and politicians in California. First steal their play ground before they steal anyone else's property to protect the people. What a load of crap!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2019, 10:40:41 am »
Before anywhere else I want in California I want to see them seize the Jonathon Beach Club in Santa Monica, a most exclusive private club with membership consisting of the wealthiest, most elite 'celebrities and politicians in California. First steal their play ground before they steal anyone else's property to protect the people. What a load of crap!

@GtHawk

IF it is ever closed,it will be the last one closed.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2019, 03:11:38 pm »
@GtHawk

IF it is ever closed,it will be the last one closed.
@sneakypete
Of course because:
A. The membership is made up of close to if not completely by Gaia worshiping, globull warming braying, it takes a village idiots.
B. All their little children tan and prance on their private, security guarded beach.

The company I worked for remodeled the women,s shower/locker room facility, if you can call something with a sauna, thirty individual private showers, as many commodes and forty sinks a locker room. We were all warned not to make eye contact with the 'guests' or worse yet look at the girls letting it all hang out on the beach or the entire company would be fired. !@$#%&!! elitist asses. Had the same command when we worked on the clubhouse of an exclusive golf course where movie and TV 'stars' and their little darlings hung out. Didn't miss that part of the business when the company folded.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 03:36:39 pm by GtHawk »

Offline rustynail

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2019, 03:17:20 pm »
Save the swales.