Author Topic: Speaker Nancy Pelosi Asks Trump to Postpone State of the Union Address  (Read 7502 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: Speaker Nancy Pelosi Asks Trump to Postpone State of the Union Address
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2019, 10:56:50 pm »
But I assume he could give it from the Oval Office?

He can, but after that previous 8 minute disaster, who wants to see a version that’s 10X longer?
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2019, 11:04:34 pm »
That was what I have been wondering @Victoria33 . But I assume he could give it from the Oval Office? My biggest regret will be not seeing Nan sitting behind him having fits. It's gonna disappoint me. I was so looking forward to it.
@berdie

I read Pelosi invited him in a letter on Jan. 3.  It appears she wants out of that invite but her reason of not enough security fell through as Homeland Security and Secret Service said they had enough personnel to do it.  I think it is up in the air right now just as any discussion of starting the government is in the air.  Trump is the master of screwing things up; has done that all his life; it is his way of living; always creating trouble so he gets the thrill of doing it; watching others hurt because he can make it happen.  I do not hate Trump but I know what his lifetime behavior is because I researched it when he became a candidate.  I suggest you watch his ex-personal lawyer, Michael Cohen, when he testifies in February to a house committee.  He was close to Trump for ten years and will talk about that.

Offline berdie

« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2019, 11:24:01 pm »

He can, but after that previous 8 minute disaster, who wants to see a version that’s 10X longer?

Given the current political climate...it doesn't bother me at all. :laugh:

Offline berdie

« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2019, 11:28:21 pm »
@berdie

I read Pelosi invited him in a letter on Jan. 3.  It appears she wants out of that invite but her reason of not enough security fell through as Homeland Security and Secret Service said they had enough personnel to do it.  I think it is up in the air right now just as any discussion of starting the government is in the air.  Trump is the master of screwing things up; has done that all his life; it is his way of living; always creating trouble so he gets the thrill of doing it; watching others hurt because he can make it happen.  I do not hate Trump but I know what his lifetime behavior is because I researched it when he became a candidate.  I suggest you watch his ex-personal lawyer, Michael Cohen, when he testifies in February to a house committee.  He was close to Trump for ten years and will talk about that.

I don't know how much I trust Cohen.  If he was close...he should have run like h@ll.  I'm just talking about optics. It will amuse the hell out of me to see "I'm equal to the President" Pelosi sit behind Trump and have a fit. I like her less that I do Trump.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2019, 11:29:03 pm »
She wants the delay only because she knows that the State of the Union is going to be a spanking.
More likely, they don't want to cut their tropical vacations short. (Are they doing that on the taxpayer's dime?)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #80 on: January 16, 2019, 11:31:09 pm »
More likely, they don't want to cut their tropical vacations short. (Are they doing that on the taxpayer's dime?)

They do everything on the taxpayer's dime.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline bilo

« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2019, 12:36:02 am »
Or …. the President gives the address outside the capitol--where he was sworn in.  Congress can sit behind him and "regular" folks can fill the seats in front of them.
http://dailycaller.com/

I love the idea! Use an indoor venue if the weather is too rough to do it outside.

The POTUS is the sole elected official who is elected by and represents the entire country.

If the Rats don't want to attend who cares.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #82 on: January 17, 2019, 02:45:29 am »
@Chosen Daughter

Which one? :silly:

The woman.  I guess we all should be happy that it wasn't a thong.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #83 on: January 17, 2019, 04:14:59 am »
Per the Constitution, the SOTU is a report to Congress, not a 'ra ra' rally to the people.
-------------------
Really???
Hmm.......sorta like a report from workers to management about what a great job the're doing!!!
In the nation/state, what matters are the people; NOT the political assholery and their pecking order.
Try getting real!!!

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #84 on: January 17, 2019, 04:20:55 am »
-------------------
Really???
Hmm.......sorta like a report from workers to management about what a great job the're doing!!!
In the nation/state, what matters are the people; NOT the political assholery and their pecking order.
Try getting real!!!
MMMmmmmmKay! Real:

Constitution of the United States
Article 2 Section 3,  :

He shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient; he may, on extraordinary Occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in Case of Disagreement between them, with Respect to the Time of Adjournment, he may adjourn them to such Time as he shall think proper;...

The State of the Union Address fulfils this Constitutional Requirement, and has been delivered to Both houses assembled for that purpose.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #85 on: January 17, 2019, 04:25:23 am »

3 people along with you thought it was a disaster. The rest of the country thought your party's rebuttal to it was the disaster. As a matter of fact your friends were made into a laughingstock on the interwebs....

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #86 on: January 17, 2019, 04:29:15 am »
The Constitution requires that the SOTU be presented to Congress (House and Senate) but does not say how or even a specific recurrence. However, in the same clause, it also gives the President authority to convene Congress for an emergency session.  The SOTU wasn't even a televised 'ra ra' rally until LBJ.

Oh, this is so good!  I almost missed it.  ABX thinks that a SOTU speech should be filled with bad news.  Let me tell you I want "ra ra".  Otherwise if the President has no news to cheer he needs to be fired!

Even if it is the same old crap.  Fired!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 04:44:47 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #87 on: January 17, 2019, 04:32:37 am »
I suggest you watch his ex-personal lawyer, Michael Cohen, when he testifies in February to a house committee.  He was close to Trump for ten years and will talk about that.

Cohen will be asked to violate his lawyer-client confidentiality which he will gleefully oblige.  For all of Cohen's shortcomings, to me this is the worst.  He charged bigtime money in exchange for that confidentiality.  And now he betrays it.  Not sure why he hasn't been disbarred yet.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #88 on: January 17, 2019, 04:39:00 am »
3 people along with you thought it was a disaster. The rest of the country thought your party's rebuttal to it was the disaster. As a matter of fact your friends were made into a laughingstock on the interwebs....

Your right Frank.  For 8 minutes I didn't think it was bad.  It is really hard to cover the disaster at the border in 8 minutes.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #89 on: January 17, 2019, 04:42:34 am »
Cohen will be asked to violate his lawyer-client confidentiality which he will gleefully oblige.  For all of Cohen's shortcomings, to me this is the worst.  He charged bigtime money in exchange for that confidentiality.  And now he betrays it.  Not sure why he hasn't been disbarred yet.

Is there any question?  Liberal Cohen has already been singing.  This is a prime example of Trump dragging his liberal friends along for the ride.  Problem is that even though he changed his party just for Trump he is still as liberal as ever.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #90 on: January 17, 2019, 04:52:48 am »
Yep...

There is no requirement that it be done in person or even done at all the Constitution merely refers to a report "from time to time",  she offered for it to be in writing, the way it had been done for over 100 years.... :shrug:

The GOP is not used to a SOTH that actually controls the HOR...

Meh... Broadcast it anyway from the Resolute Desk... And take a half an hour instead of eight minutes...

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #91 on: January 17, 2019, 04:53:33 am »
@berdie

President Donald Trump is a genius running this country better than the low level filth you pined for during the election. John Kasich is a douchbag and a loser. Every state provided him a humiliating defeat except for Ohio in the Primary, which isn't a surprise since the state is an depressing effing landfill. As a testament to his limp dick worthlessness he is relegated to being a commentator on a the lowest rated news channel on the dial. Reruns of the Golden Girls beat their Prime Time lineup.

As for the President you disdain, he is the only President since Eisenhower to take immigration seriously. He is the first President that has shown that a govt' shutdown is absolutely meaningless to everyone's existence except for a bunch of high school drop outs in the TSA. That is why low level thinkers are the ones who are obsessed with trashing him. He has shown that they are nothing but impotent cranks. The types of meaningless humans that hang their community college diplomas in the entry way of their tenements so they can impress the Roto Rooter man when he comes to snake the constipated shit out of their mismatched landlord grade toilet. 

Here's a portrait that worthless fagot John Kasich will NEVER have made with his likeness because he will NEVER be President and for that the country is thankful.....

« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 04:54:06 am by Amb. Frank Cannon »

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #92 on: January 17, 2019, 05:10:30 am »
President Donald Trump is a genius running this country better than the low level filth you pined for during the election. John Kasich is a douchbag and a loser. Every state provided him a humiliating defeat except for Ohio in the Primary, which isn't a surprise since the state is an depressing effing landfill. As a testament to his limp dick worthlessness he is relegated to being a commentator on a the lowest rated news channel on the dial. Reruns of the Golden Girls beat their Prime Time lineup.

As for the President you disdain, he is the only President since Eisenhower to take immigration seriously. He is the first President that has shown that a govt' shutdown is absolutely meaningless to everyone's existence except for a bunch of high school drop outs in the TSA. That is why low level thinkers are the ones who are obsessed with trashing him. He has shown that they are nothing but impotent cranks. The types of meaningless humans that hang their community college diplomas in the entry way of their tenements so they can impress the Roto Rooter man when he comes to snake the constipated shit out of their mismatched landlord grade toilet. 

Here's a portrait that worthless fagot John Kasich will NEVER have made with his likeness because he will NEVER be President and for that the country is thankful.....

Kasich is great if you are a liberal. 

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #93 on: January 17, 2019, 05:13:19 am »
Kasich is great if you are a liberal.

That's true but a fair number of cultist Trump haters have him on their short list for President in 2020.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2019, 05:40:28 am »
That's true but a fair number of cultist Trump haters have him on their short list for President in 2020.
:silly:
Kasich? Seriously?  **nononono*
not ever!

C S Lewis

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #95 on: January 17, 2019, 06:03:15 am »
I'm waiting for the tweet:  "The SOTU just got 10 minutes longer!"

Polly, That's the comment of the day!
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline verga

« Reply #96 on: January 17, 2019, 12:32:01 pm »
@ABX

You said, "I think that's one of the problems, he wants the optics and fight, but not the solution. Just like this border wall issue, there are so many paths to just doing it that are within the law, including declaring an emergency (which is says it is).  I have a theory, call it Professor AB's Theorem.   Basically, Trump is Waging an ‘Endless Campaign’. Trump doesn’t want to govern. He only wants to campaign because governing would make him responsible for what is happening."

YES, plus blaming the mysterious deep state as you said.
@Victoria33 I did not vote for Trump, but he has governed more in 2 years than Obama did in 8.
1) Brought North Korea to the bargaining table.
2) Got us out of the Paris accord.
3) Put NATO on notice to pay their fair share.
4) Renegotiated NAFTA
5) Got trade concessions from China
6) 4.2 percent growth in the second quarter of 2018.
7) 4 million new jobs have been created since the election, and more than 3.5 million since Trump took office.
8) More Americans are employed now than ever before in our history.
9) Jobless claims at lowest level in nearly five decades.
10) An actual tax cut
11) Achieved massive deregulation at a rapid pace, completing 22 deregulatory actions to every one regulatory action during his first year in office.
12) Signed legislation to roll back costly and harmful provisions of Dodd-Frank, providing relief to credit unions, and community and regional banks.
13) Rolled back Obama’s burdensome Waters of the U.S. rule.
14) Confirmed more than two dozen U. S. Circuit Court judges. Most ever.
15) Followed through on the promise to nominate judges to the Supreme Court who will adhere to the Constitution
Nominated and confirmed Justice Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court.

The list goes on and on. Yes he has done things I don't particularly care for, but the positives outweigh the negatives by a lot.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #97 on: January 17, 2019, 12:53:56 pm »
@Victoria33 I did not vote for Trump, but he has governed more in 2 years than Obama did in 8.
1) Brought North Korea to the bargaining table.
2) Got us out of the Paris accord.
3) Put NATO on notice to pay their fair share.
4) Renegotiated NAFTA
5) Got trade concessions from China
7) 4 million new jobs have been created since the election, and more than 3.5 million since Trump took office.
9) Jobless claims at lowest level in nearly five decades.
10) An actual tax cut
11) Achieved massive deregulation at a rapid pace, completing 22 deregulatory actions to every one regulatory action during his first year in office.
12) Signed legislation to roll back costly and harmful provisions of Dodd-Frank, providing relief to credit unions, and community and regional banks.
13) Rolled back Obama’s burdensome Waters of the U.S. rule.
15) Followed through on the promise to nominate judges to the Supreme Court who will adhere to the Constitution
Nominated and confirmed Justice Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court.

The list goes on and on. Yes he has done things I don't particularly care for, but the positives outweigh the negatives by a lot.

There are a few problems with your list.

NK has been to the table before. They lie and don’t follow through on agreements. We’re still in the Paris Accord and will be until at least November 2020. That’s the earliest we could formally withdraw. There’s no common fund pool for NATO. NAFTA remains in effect until a new deal is passed by the Senate. We’re still in a trade war with China. The Senate confirms judges. The only reason so many vacancies existed on federal courts was due to the fact the Senate refused to hold confirmation votes under the previous administration.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #98 on: January 17, 2019, 03:09:39 pm »

1) Brought North Korea to the bargaining table. And he left again, like with every US Administration.

2) Got us out of the Paris accord. Nope.

3) Put NATO on notice to pay their fair share. Nope

4) Renegotiated NAFTA Yeah... more 15/hr wages and unions... for Mexico. That's about it.

5) Got trade concessions from China Nope

C'mon. Do math. That's because there are more of us than ever before in history to be able to get a job, and because 8.7m jobs were lost in the recession.

9) Jobless claims at lowest level in nearly five decades. Claims are different than truth.

10) An actual tax cut without an obligatory cut in spending... In fact, spending has increased. Where does that come from?

11) Achieved massive deregulation at a rapid pace, completing 22 deregulatory actions to every one regulatory action during his first year in office. a PITTANCE compared to the vast library of regulations.

13) Rolled back Obama’s burdensome Waters of the U.S. rule. Executive order kills executive order... Same thing will happen to all his when he leaves office.

Nothing says those judges are any better than the ones that left - and in fact, trading a Scalia and a Kennedy for two Kennedys is going in the wrong direction.

Yes, the list DOES go on and on... and like I have done above, the most of it is bullcrap. That's the problem with things. We used to vet this sort of thing back in FR's heyday. Now it's just rampant fanboi cheering of the emperor with no clothes.

Credit where it is due=TRUE. But only where it is due.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #99 on: January 17, 2019, 03:58:17 pm »
@Hoodat

He will describe Trump's behavior, and his lawyers will not let him answer questions that would violate confidentiality.  I expect a lawyer to be by his side.