Author Topic: Did Trump just nominate a gun-grabber for Attorney General?  (Read 2673 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Did Trump just nominate a gun-grabber for Attorney General?
« on: January 16, 2019, 02:10:04 pm »

As if we didn’t have enough gun control to fight recently, we now have another battle emerging.

To replace Jeff Sessions as Attorney General, President Trump has nominated an individual who has advocated very restrictive gun control proposals in the past.
The Senate Judiciary Committee began confirmation hearings on the nominee today.
His name is William Barr, and he actually served as U.S. Attorney General once before under President George H.W. Bush from 1991-1993.
It was during the hearings for that position in 1991 that William Barr expressed his support for gun control:
On the assault weapon front, the proposal before us is the DeConcini amendment. And I think ... I would support both the Brady Bill waiting period and the DeConcini [semi-auto ban] amendment, provided that they were parts of a broader and more comprehensive crime bill that included ... very tough provisions on the use of firearms in crimes and illegal purchase and trading in firearms...
So Barr endorsed both the Brady Check portion of the Brady Bill and the semi-auto ban, although he did express a preference for magazine bans: “I would prefer a limitation on the clip [sic] size.”...

https://gunowners.org/alert11519.htm

Offline ABX

Re: Did Trump just nominate a gun-grabber for Attorney General?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 02:11:01 pm »
GOA Opposes Anti-Gun William Barr for Attorney General

Springfield, VA – Gun Owners of America's executive director, Erich Pratt, stated the following in regard to William Barr's nomination for Attorney General: 
“Gun owners are very disappointed that President Trump’s nominee for Attorney General is a committed, gun control advocate. Barr says that the ‘single most important thing’ he can do in the area of gun control is to support Red Flag Gun Confiscation Orders, which have already resulted in the death of an innocent gun owner in Maryland. GOA will be urging Senators to OPPOSE the nomination of William Barr when he is voted on in committee -- and on the Senate floor.

https://gunowners.org/goa-statement-william-barr.htm

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 02:27:15 pm »
I'd have to look up the claims made in both pieces about Barr's support for gun control/confiscation, but even if Barr is pro-gun control -- he has expressed conservative views on other issues -- he is pro-life for example -- so maybe this isn't necessarily a fatal flaw.  Barr allegedly made these statements years ago.  Perhaps he has changed his views since then.  Maybe this is an issue our elected representatives could explore with him, as the GOA suggests.

Offline ABX

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 02:31:44 pm »
I'd have to look up the claims made in both pieces about Barr's support for gun control/confiscation, but even if Barr is pro-gun control -- he has expressed conservative views on other issues -- he is pro-life for example -- so maybe this isn't necessarily a fatal flaw.  Barr allegedly made these statements years ago.  Perhaps he has changed his views since then.  Maybe this is an issue our elected representatives could explore with him, as the GOA suggests.

A CSPAN video of him is at the first link. It is pretty clear.

And on Abortion, Barr said Tuesday that as attorney general he would uphold abortion laws. “I think the justices, the recent ones, have made it clear that they consider Roe v. Wade an established precedent and it’s been on the books 46 years,” Barr said.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 02:33:54 pm by ABX »

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 03:05:44 pm »
His boss is the one you really need to worry about. Trump has been all over the place on gun rights. He supported the assault weapons ban in 2000. During the 2016 campaign, he called the ban a failure. After the Stoneman Douglas school shooting, he wanted to raise the assault weapon purchase age to 21 and also asked Feinstein to include the assault weapons ban in the school safety bill. The bump stock ban was just recently put into effect.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline ABX

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 03:11:11 pm »
His boss is the one you really need to worry about. Trump has been all over the place on gun rights. He supported the assault weapons ban in 2000. During the 2016 campaign, he called the ban a failure. After the Stoneman Douglas school shooting, he wanted to raise the assault weapon purchase age to 21 and also asked Feinstein to include the assault weapons ban in the school safety bill. The bump stock ban was just recently put into effect.

He has already done more damage to the 2nd Amendment in 2 years than Obama did in 8. (ironically, it was Obama who legalized bump stocks).

Don't forget his 'take the guns first, due process later' comment.

I wouldn't be surprised if he supports Feinstein's recent bill.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 05:25:00 pm »
He has already done more damage to the 2nd Amendment in 2 years than Obama did in 8. (ironically, it was Obama who legalized bump stocks).

Don't forget his 'take the guns first, due process later' comment.

I wouldn't be surprised if he supports Feinstein's recent bill.

That's a reach, even for you @ABX   There is nothing to support your claims.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline ABX

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 05:56:29 pm »
Not a stretch at all.  All from 'right' sources that are usually pro-Trump.

https://www.themaven.net/theresurgent/contributors/donald-trump-just-restricted-the-second-amendment-more-than-barack-obama-ZJ97ktrlSE20aZS7-bU1Hg/

https://thefreethoughtproject.com/trump-ban-2nd-amendment/

https://www.firearmsnews.com/editorial/president-trumps-view-of-2nd-amendment-not-what-gun-owners-thought/77752

I can post more sources if you would like.

I don't like, but thanx.  Trump was proposing very limited restrictions and probably as a knee-jerk reaction to a horrible event.

But, anything to put Trump in a bad light if you are a resolute Never Trumper.  Rant on, @ABX   You've become a minority voice even on this forum which was once top heavy with NTers.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 05:57:17 pm by Emjay »

Offline ABX

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 06:07:35 pm »
I don't like, but thanx.  Trump was proposing very limited restrictions and probably as a knee-jerk reaction to a horrible event.

But, anything to put Trump in a bad light if you are a resolute Never Trumper.  Rant on, @ABX   You've become a minority voice even on this forum which was once top heavy with NTers.

So Trump takes action and positions that is right in line with Democrat policies- something that every person here would have screamed about if Obama were president, and you think it is best to defend him and worry mostly about the pro-trump/anti-trump game instead of the actual action and position? 

The 'limited restriction' as you try to justify it as, is a direct affront to citizens and the Constitution.

What else are you willing to accept?  Trump has long been a support of banning or restricting 'assault weapons' just like what Feinstein's bill calls for. Are you willing to accept that or is the pro-trump/anti-trump game more important?

https://theintercept.com/2016/01/27/donald-trump-in-2000-i-support-the-ban-on-assault-weapons/

We just keep on moving the goal posts further and further to the left on so many things and justify it because of the 'game'.

Offline ABX

Offline ABX

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 06:12:29 pm »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 06:13:51 pm »

@Applewood @ABX

The good news is Trump has proven he ain't shy about firing people that step across the line.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline ABX

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 06:17:51 pm »
From a year ago, he was 'ready to sit down' with Feinstein and 'make a deal' on the Assault Weapon's Ban.
http://www.captainsjournal.com/2019/01/14/trump-signals-support-for-renewed-assault-weapons-ban/

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 06:31:45 pm »
So Trump takes action and positions that is right in line with Democrat policies- something that every person here would have screamed about if Obama were president, and you think it is best to defend him and worry mostly about the pro-trump/anti-trump game instead of the actual action and position? 

The 'limited restriction' as you try to justify it as, is a direct affront to citizens and the Constitution.

What else are you willing to accept?  Trump has long been a support of banning or restricting 'assault weapons' just like what Feinstein's bill calls for. Are you willing to accept that or is the pro-trump/anti-trump game more important?

https://theintercept.com/2016/01/27/donald-trump-in-2000-i-support-the-ban-on-assault-weapons/

We just keep on moving the goal posts further and further to the left on so many things and justify it because of the 'game'.

I'm not trying to justify it.  I AM justifying it.  This is not a core issue for Trump and it has barely been noticed or discussed.

Trump has had a super successful 2 years and been instrumental in many improvements.

If he has a core issue, we all know it is illegal immigration, protecting our borders and the wall.

If he ever actually proposes any changes in gun laws, you can let me know then.  He has not and he will not.

But rave on.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2019, 06:31:59 pm »
A CSPAN video of him is at the first link. It is pretty clear.

And on Abortion, Barr said Tuesday that as attorney general he would uphold abortion laws. “I think the justices, the recent ones, have made it clear that they consider Roe v. Wade an established precedent and it’s been on the books 46 years,” Barr said.

Thanks @ABX for all the links.  Had to go out for a while, but now I'm back, I have some real reading/viewing to do. 

As for the abortion question -- well, I think Barr would have to answer that way because it will be his duty as AG to uphold the law, no matter how odious it is.  Since the lazy butts in congress won't do it, it will be up to SCOTUS to rid of us of legalized abortion.  And I'm not so sure they would.  I'm afraid legalized abortion may be here to stay, unfortunately. 

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2019, 06:37:19 pm »

Thanks @ABX for all the links.  Had to go out for a while, but now I'm back, I have some real reading/viewing to do. 

As for the abortion question -- well, I think Barr would have to answer that way because it will be his duty as AG to uphold the law, no matter how odious it is.  Since the lazy butts in congress won't do it, it will be up to SCOTUS to rid of us of legalized abortion.  And I'm not so sure they would.  I'm afraid legalized abortion may be here to stay, unfortunately.

If legalized abortion stays, it will weaken the moral fiber of our country and be a step in our deterioration as a moral country.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2019, 06:39:19 pm »
@Applewood @ABX

The good news is Trump has proven he ain't shy about firing people that step across the line.

Trump isn't shy about firing people, period.  That's his modus operandi.  He loves drama and controversy and hiring someone today, firing him tomorrow creates both. 

I haven't followed the Barr hearings that well, but from the reports I've seen and heard, it seems Barr is considerably opposed to Trump on some matters, particularly with the Mueller and other investigations.  So I'm wondering why Trump nominated him -- unless he misses having Sessions as his whipping boy and he needs someone as  AG to badger. 

Offline Applewood

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2019, 06:40:41 pm »
If legalized abortion stays, it will weaken the moral fiber of our country and be a step in our deterioration as a moral country.

Unfortunately, I think both have already happened. 

Online libertybele

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2019, 06:48:05 pm »
ON the 2A; he's advocating keeping guns out of the hands of the mentally ill;  So ANYONE, who has ever gone in for any kind of counseling or medicated with any type of psychiatric medicine regardless of their prescribed use, will be a target to have their guns confiscated.

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/susan-jones/william-barr-explains-single-most-important-thing-we-can-do-gun-control

I find his nomination very troubling.  Sessions was bad enough and his selection of Rosenstein as Deputy AG was equally troubling.  Here is a guy that is clearly on the opposite side of some issues.  WHY does Trump continue to select people who are less the desirable to the DOJ??

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/where-william-barr-stands-on-the-issues-then-and-now

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online corbe

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2019, 06:50:44 pm »

I find this statement rather offensive @Emjay as one of the few resident NT'ers left here I have never found this place to be 'top heavy' with the likes of my kind. Sure there has always been extremes on both ends of the spectrum but I find TBR to be rather balanced with the fence sitters being the glue that hold it all together. /JS
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2019, 06:58:14 pm »
If he ever actually proposes any changes in gun laws, you can let me know then.  He has not and he will not.

It’s really pathetic how uninformed you are. He plainly stated his proposed restrictions in a live bipartisan meeting.

Sorry...
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2019, 07:02:54 pm »
   I find this statement rather offensive @Emjay as one of the few resident NT'ers left here I have never found this place to be 'top heavy' with the likes of my kind. Sure there has always been extremes on both ends of the spectrum but I find TBR to be rather balanced with the fence sitters being the glue that hold it all together. /JS

Okay @corbe  Does that make us even on the offensive scale, or are you still way ahead?

I've felt like there's been a decline in the posting of the really obnoxious NTers, but maybe that's just because I have them on ignore.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2019, 07:24:01 pm »
That's a reach, even for you @ABX   There is nothing to support your claims.

Is or is not, ABX merely renamed Abraxas, our "social media advisor?"

@ABX @Abaraxas @Oceander @mystery-ak

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2019, 12:40:24 am »
ON the 2A; he's advocating keeping guns out of the hands of the mentally ill;  So ANYONE, who has ever gone in for any kind of counseling or medicated with any type of psychiatric medicine regardless of their prescribed use, will be a target to have their guns confiscated.

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/susan-jones/william-barr-explains-single-most-important-thing-we-can-do-gun-control

I find his nomination very troubling.  Sessions was bad enough and his selection of Rosenstein as Deputy AG was equally troubling.  Here is a guy that is clearly on the opposite side of some issues.  WHY does Trump continue to select people who are less the desirable to the DOJ??

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/where-william-barr-stands-on-the-issues-then-and-now

@libertybele

This mental illness horses##t is the straw to break the camel's back.

Everyone line up and Turn In Your Guns, You Sickos!

https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/statistics/mental-illness.shtml

You don't have to even read it. Just scroll down the page and check the graphs for percentages of the population.

And will Someone tell me Where in the Hell our Govt is authorized to operate a Federal Bureau of Thought and Mood Crime? (NIMH)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 12:43:30 am by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com