Author Topic: VP Pence tells Mark Levin that Trump will NOT cave: ‘The president is not budging’  (Read 4089 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

VP Pence tells Mark Levin that Trump will NOT cave: ‘The president is not budging’
Conservative Review, Jan 15, 2019

Tuesday on the radio, LevinTV host Mark Levin was joined by Vice President Mike Pence to discuss the government shutdown and the president’s continuing fight to secure the southern border by building a wall.

Pence shared with Levin that the Democrats in Congress are still refusing to compromise and work with the president to secure the border.

“Last week — one anecdote — we were in the Situation Room. The president looks at Speaker Pelosi, and he said, ‘Okay, here’s the deal. If I gave you everything you wanted, I funded most of what remains of the government, and I gave you 30 days to negotiate on Homeland Security’s budget, would you give me border security and a wall?’ She said, ‘No.’ The president said, ‘Goodbye.’ So we know how this story ends. That’s why the president is not budging; he’s not moving,” Pence said.

Listen:

https://www.conservativereview.com/news/vp-pence-tells-mark-levin-that-trump-will-not-cave-the-president-is-not-budging/

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
So neither side will budge, as innocents suffer.   Just effing craptastic.   How did we get to this?    Sure would like to have the full $25 billion in exchange for the Dreamers, which if I recall was what the deal was last year before Trump torpedoed it. 

Trump can maintain his stance only so long as Mitch McConnell lets him.   McConnell's refusal to consider House spending bills that Trump won't sign has held so far,  but as airports experience nightmare lines and other tangible impacts of the shutdown are felt,   can that stance hold?   

The best way forward is to get another Wall-for-DACA deal on the table,  only this time it won't come with as much funding as the deal last year would have secured.  And, of course, Trump's base will yell and scream about the horrors of "amnesty" for folks brought to this country as kids.   At some point Trump is going to have to do something he's loathe to do - tell his base that they're going to have to settle.     

It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account
@realDonaldTrump

There are now 77 major or significant Walls built around the world, with 45 countries planning or building Walls. Over 800 miles of Walls have been built in Europe since only 2015. They have all been recognized as close to 100% successful. Stop the crime at our Southern Border!

4:33 AM - 16 Jan 2019

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1085515276228153345

Donald J. Trump
Verified accountï‚™ @realDonaldTrump 

It is becoming more and more obvious that the Radical Democrats are a Party of open borders and crime. They want nothing to do with the major Humanitarian Crisis on our Southern Border. #2020!

4:49 AM - 16 Jan 2019

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1085519375224983552

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
If border security is that important, Mr. President (and it is),  then signal you'll sign a Wall-for-Dreamers deal.   

If border security is that important, Mr. President (and it is),  then signal you'll sign a Wall-for-Dreamers deal.   

Read what the President offered @Jazzhead   You'll need to push your personal liberal agenda aside to understand it.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Read what the President offered @Jazzhead   You'll need to push your personal liberal agenda aside to understand it.

How is it "liberal" to promote a political compromise that will actually get funds for border security,  rather than cheerlead for a pissing contest that will likely prove useless?       

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
There is no "Political Compromise" when dealing with the left. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline rustynail

Pence said ISIL was defeated.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Pence doesn't know what President Trump will do because President Trump does not know what he is doing, nor does he know what he will do, until it pops into his tiny mind, and he regurgitates it on twitter without reflection or advice and it becomes administration policy...unless Rush, Levin, and Fox scare Trump into changing his mind. 

https://twitter.com/ComfortablySmug/status/1085613435067478016

Comfortably Smug @ComfortablySmug
1 hour ago

Every day is a new episode of the Trump show and it's more interactive than a choose your own episode because some of us will probably die IRL

Best show ever
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 08:23:32 pm by Once-Ler »

Offline Victoria33

How is it "liberal" to promote a political compromise that will actually get funds for border security,  rather than cheerlead for a pissing contest that will likely prove useless?       
@Jazzhead
@mystery-ak 

Jazz, you are right we need compromise right now.
I have the time to seek information about how the government shut down is hurting people across the country.  Commercial fishermen are losing billions because they can't get certified by the government agency to let them fish.  People are selling their items on E-bay to get money.  800,000 people not getting money surely is causing grocery stores, other companies and restaurants, getting less money; medical treatment is being put off and medical emergencies will break families quickly.  This is an exponential tragedy, rather than a few stories of people needing money. 

I think I remember you are not much on religion, but Christians would not do this to others.  Where is Trump and Pelosi on the Christian scale caring about their neighbors?  Maybe they have no feeling for others from their grand living quarters - they are not doing without money to take care of themselves and their families.

Two people, Trump and Pelosi, should not have the power to destroy the economy and put families in jeopardy.  What is the name of this new third world country once known as the United States of America?  There is no unity in this country.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
So neither side will budge, as innocents suffer.   Just effing craptastic.   How did we get to this?    Sure would like to have the full $25 billion in exchange for the Dreamers, which if I recall was what the deal was last year before Trump torpedoed it. 

Trump can maintain his stance only so long as Mitch McConnell lets him.   McConnell's refusal to consider House spending bills that Trump won't sign has held so far,  but as airports experience nightmare lines and other tangible impacts of the shutdown are felt,   can that stance hold?   

The best way forward is to get another Wall-for-DACA deal on the table,  only this time it won't come with as much funding as the deal last year would have secured.  And, of course, Trump's base will yell and scream about the horrors of "amnesty" for folks brought to this country as kids.   At some point Trump is going to have to do something he's loathe to do - tell his base that they're going to have to settle.     

Give it up @Jazzhead   Innocents are not suffering.  In fact, about 90% of the country is totally unaffected by the shutdown and couldn't care less.

As far as the Government employees go, they are getting a paid vacation with the secure knowledge that they will receive full back pay when the shutdown ends.

Trump cannot bargain with people who WILL NOT bargain.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
@Jazzhead
@mystery-ak 

I have the time to seek information about how the government shut down is hurting people across the country.  Commercial fishermen are losing billions because they can't get certified by the government agency to let them fish.  People are selling their items on E-bay to get money.  800,000 people not getting money surely is causing grocery stores, other companies and restaurants, getting less money; medical treatment is being put off and medical emergencies will break families quickly.  This is an exponential tragedy, rather than a few stories of people needing money. 

I think I remember you are not much on religion, but Christians would not do this to others.  Where is Trump and Pelosi on the Christian scale caring about their neighbors?  Maybe they have no feeling for others from their grand living quarters - they are not doing without money to take care of themselves and their families.

Two people, Trump and Pelosi, should not have the power to destroy the economy and put families in jeopardy.  What is the name of this new third world country once known as the United States of America?  There is no unity in this country.

There is no evidence that great numbers of people are suffering.  Commercial fishermen losing livelihood over a month-long break?  That is a reach.

Most people are totally unaffected by this shutdown and it is a small price to pay for the future of our country having secure borders.

A little less hysteria would be appreciated @Victoria33

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

I believe he has been wiling to do so all along, and the dems know this full well;

...but the dems need to convince their radical wing, how unbending and unreasonable they can be.

The govt. is mostly open and functioning. Trump did so in a marrer, to minimize "suffering," unlike his predescessor.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
There is no evidence that great numbers of people are suffering.  Commercial fishermen losing livelihood over a month-long break?  That is a reach.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/energy/commercial-fishermen-stand-to-lose-billions-from-government-shutdown
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/energy/commercial-fishermen-stand-to-lose-billions-from-government-shutdown

Stand to lose billions.  One, didn't know there were billions to be had in fishing or I'd buy a pole myself.  Two, 'stand to lose' does not a crisis make.

Offline edpc

Stand to lose billions.  One, didn't know there were billions to be had in fishing or I'd buy a pole myself.  Two, 'stand to lose' does not a crisis make.

Trump said he’s prepared to extend the shutdown months or years. If they can’t get permits, they can’t fish. One month of lost income in the industry amounts to billions. Do the math, Copernicus. Again, you demonstrate ignorance on a cosmic level.

Commercial fishing generated more than $144 billion in sales in the U.S. in 2016, contributing $61 billion to GDP, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Fisheries Economics of the United States report for 2016. It shows the industry supported 1.2 million jobs, slightly down from 2014 but steady from 2015.

http://fortune.com/2018/12/14/u-s-fishing-science-conservation-salmon/

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline libertybele

@Jazzhead
@mystery-ak 

How do you compromise on the sovereignty of our country??  How is it Christian to allow terrorists, rapists, murderers, thieves, into our country to attack innocent citizens? 

Illegals have wreaked havoc on our economy for decades and have destroyed lives of families who have fallen victim to their crimes.

While I understand the content of what you are trying to convey and I believe your heart is pure, the priority shouldn't be on compromising to allow illegals into this country for the sake of putting some back to work.  The priority should be to protect the sovereignty of EVERYONE in this country and to protect ALL citizens.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Chosen Daughter

Trump said he’s prepared to extend the shutdown months or years. If they can’t get permits, they can’t fish. One month of lost income in the industry amounts to billions. Do the math, Copernicus. Again, you demonstrate ignorance on a cosmic level.

Commercial fishing generated more than $144 billion in sales in the U.S. in 2016, contributing $61 billion to GDP, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Fisheries Economics of the United States report for 2016. It shows the industry supported 1.2 million jobs, slightly down from 2014 but steady from 2015.

http://fortune.com/2018/12/14/u-s-fishing-science-conservation-salmon/

Well surely they are suffering but it is Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer that are responsible.  They could get the government open again.  I think Trump should get the whole enchilada to get the job done.  Unfortunately people are suffering.  But there are millions of people suffering every year from illegal immigration.  You talk paycheck to paycheck.  Try living in a sanctuary state where you are forced to pay high taxes so that you can raise illegal alien families.

And rest assured that it doesn't affect Nancy or Chuck.  It doesn't affect the rich Democratic business owners either.  It doesn't affect the farmers and their subsidies and illegal immigrants.  It hits the lower wage earners in sanctuary states who can't afford to pay any more taxes.  No more for schools with overcrowded classrooms and needing English second language.  No more for housing illegal immigrants in our prisons who have committed crimes.  No more to feed or supply medical and dental for illegal immigrant families.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 03:09:51 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline edpc

Well surely they are suffering but it is Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer that are responsible.  They could get the government open again.  I think Trump should get the whole enchilada to get the job done.  Unfortunately people are suffering.  But there are millions of people suffering every year from illegal immigration.  You talk paycheck to paycheck.  Try living in a sanctuary state where you are forced to pay high taxes so that you can raise illegal alien families.

The question was whether they were being affected, not who was responsible.

Offline libertybele

Of course some are going to be affected by the shutdown.  With the keyword being "some".  On the other hand ALL citizens WILL be affected if we lose the sovereignty of our country and ALL citizens have been affected in one way or another by illegal immigration. ALL citizens should be protected from the invasion of our country that has been going on for decades.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Chosen Daughter

Of course.  I covered both.  We have been suffering for a long time with the added expense of illegal immigration.  They have been allowing it so long they don't even recognize that it is law breaking.  Illegal immigration is not free.  It comes at a great cost and affects the people who cannot afford it the most.  But it seems easy for people like Chuck and Nancy to overlook the fact that we are carrying illegal immigrants on our backs.

And so another thing............Here in Washington they are introducing legislation to remove the 60% needed to pass spending bill for new schools.  We need new schools because we have overcrowding.  I am willing to put this out there without looking up the statistics.  I believe that illegal immigrants are the highest percentage of growth in Washington schools.  Schools are expensive!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 03:28:31 am by Chosen Daughter »

Offline edpc

Of course some are going to be affected by the shutdown.  With the keyword being "some".  On the other hand ALL citizens WILL be affected if we lose the sovereignty of our country and ALL citizens have been affected in one way or another by illegal immigration. ALL citizens should be protected from the invasion of our country that has been going on for decades.

Unlike furloughed workers, they won't get back pay. The rigid stance by either side doesn't pay their bills. Neither does rhetoric.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 03:28:12 am by edpc »

Offline Chosen Daughter

Unlike furloughed workers, they won't get back pay. The rigid stance by either side doesn't pay their bills. Neither does rhetoric.

Wow, rhetoric.