Author Topic: New Wave of Night Vision Tech to Boost Soldier Lethality  (Read 482 times)

rangerrebew

New Wave of Night Vision Tech to Boost Soldier Lethality
« on: January 16, 2019, 12:22:14 pm »
New Wave of Night Vision Tech to Boost Soldier Lethality
1/11/2019
By Nick Adde

When Billy Fabian was serving as an infantry officer in Iraq a little more than a decade ago, the U.S. Army had a decided advantage when it came to pursuing the fight at night. It was not, however, without flaws. The goggles he and his fellow soldiers used were sophisticated, but simplistic. At times, they were ineffective.

Though they amplified ambient light, the goggles did not work in complete darkness. They were drowned out by bright light as well. Moreover, although the gear still provided a distinct advantage to troops who wore them, the tactical-advantage gap was closing. Insurgent forces were getting their hands on night-vision goggles. Additionally, soldiers who wore them would use infrared lasers to target adversaries bearing small arms — effectively providing these foes with an indicator of their enemies’ locations.

http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/articles/2019/1/11/new-wave-of-night-vision-tech-to-boost-soldier-lethality

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Re: New Wave of Night Vision Tech to Boost Soldier Lethality
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 12:46:06 pm »
Years ago I bought a night vision scope for a rifle. It ticked me off that the illumination device for really dark areas made a red dot that basically painted a target on you if you had human foes. Though useful in moonlight (without the illumination), this flaw made me weary on whether it was useful in home against home invaders. So now, I have a tool that is unarmed (no batteries) in my defense place, but it will not be my go to weapon anytime soon.

I also had a pair of Russian night vision binoculars, but made the mistake of loaning them out to a fellow employee who returned them in non-operational condition ($800 lesson on loaning stuff)... He swore they worked for him when he had them...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 12:51:37 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....