Author Topic: First Native American woman elected to Washington legislature wears traditional regalia at swearing-  (Read 8001 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Its drumming now.  Can't wait for government displays of Ashoura

What American Indian tribe practices that?

(NONE) Even the Sundance ceremony has been banned. Now, those who wish to prove their manhood go off and join the Marines....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

Whee!  *****rollingeyes*****
The more the merrier! (Now we might get a head count of all the diversities they have on the left.)

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Again, that's a false equivalency.  Native American culture is not equal to islam.

That is not a winning argument.

Catholics, Sikhs and Jews cover their heads.  The "freedom" to practice one's religion, including dress, is very American.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil

Catholics, Sikhs and Jews cover their heads.  The "freedom" to practice one's religion, including dress, is very American.

Yeah.  Looks like Jay Inslee has some of that Native American that Elizabeth has.  Dress is fine, but I wonder what the rest of the people have to do with it?  I kind of think its like photo op.  A public display to say hey look at us!
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Islam is not merely a religion.  It's much more than that, and it's antithetical to American and Western civilization ideology.  It's also not American.

Catholics and Jews cover their heads in church/synagogue, as do some other Christian denominations.  That's irrelevant here.  I've seen Sikhs in three-piece suits with turbans and as far as I know, no one gives them a hard time about it.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Yeah.  Looks like Jay Inslee has some of that Native American that Elizabeth has.  Dress is fine, but I wonder what the rest of the people have to do with it?  I kind of think its like photo op.  A public display to say hey look at us!

Well, yeah.....she just became elected to the Washington lege, and you bet she's going to invite family and friends and have photos taken.  I would.  :shrug:

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Well, yeah.....she just became elected to the Washington lege, and you bet she's going to invite family and friends and have photos taken.  I would.  :shrug:

You are right.  I just don't like her and that is my problem.  I am sure that she is a very nice woman but its about her politics.  Its about Washington and the enviro Nazi's who will force environmental taxes on us even though we voted against them.

https://www.debralekanoff.com/endorsements/
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
You are right.  I just don't like her and that is my problem.  I am sure that she is a very nice woman but its about her politics.  Its about Washington and the enviro Nazi's who will force environmental taxes on us even though we voted against them.

https://www.debralekanoff.com/endorsements/

I'm with you there.  But, I don't like WA state politics in general, so anyone who gets elected is probably at odds with my views.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Again, that's a false equivalency.  Native American culture is not equal to islam.

Again, you deliberately ignore the principle involved here.  What you think is "American" is not the point.  Let's not throw away 200 years of smart tradition because you like to argue @Sanguine

Sometimes "none" IS the right answer. This is one of those times.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Again, you deliberately ignore the principle involved here.  What you think is "American" is not the point.  Let's not throw away 200 years of smart tradition because you like to argue @Sanguine

Sometimes "none" IS the right answer. This is one of those times.

Someday you'll say something meaningful.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Plenty people, call Trump a Nazi if he wears his native Lederhosen.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Smokin Joe

It's funny how people point out a host of garb from other countries and even berate this woman for not wearing the latest fashions derived from those fresh from Paris, France, and can ignore the fact that her traditional garb is the only actual American outfit in the room. Next thing, y'all will be telling her to go back if she doesn't like it here.

If you know enough about her politics to not like them, harp on that. Not the idea of wearing something as traditional for ceremonies among her people as a tuxedo or evening gown is for y'all. And please keep in mind that what she is wearing is traditional American, not some knock off from some other country or continent.

C S Lewis

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
I don't see a problem with this.

Really, there should not be a problem since this woman is actually Indian.

But, somehow, it just looks stupid.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Smokin Joe

Really, there should not be a problem since this woman is actually Indian.

But, somehow, it just looks stupid.
No more than stiletto heels on the grass.--in fact, a lot less.

C S Lewis

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Aren't Salish part of her constituency?  That is partly who she is representing.  If Greg Abbott shows up for his swearing in wearing a cowboy hat is that a bad thing?

Ted Cruz, Greg Abbott, Rick Perry and a lot of Texas men wear boots frequently, but I don't think they would add spurs and a rope at a swearing in ceremony.

I think it's okay if that's what she wanted to do but she has to be prepared for a few guffaws from the crowd.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Well, this was a kinda interesting thread.  And most people resisted being sucked in by the would-be Comediennes.

Offline Smokin Joe

Ted Cruz, Greg Abbott, Rick Perry and a lot of Texas men wear boots frequently, but I don't think they would add spurs and a rope at a swearing in ceremony.

I think it's okay if that's what she wanted to do but she has to be prepared for a few guffaws from the crowd.
You don't wear spurs and a rope to a formal occasion, unless you're getting hanged.

Her outfit is nice, the drummers and singers are the norm for special occasions, and seen at weddings and funerals, too.
It is obvious many here don't know jack about American Indian culture (My wife is Chippewa) and not a hell of a lot about cowboying either.

C S Lewis

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
You don't wear spurs and a rope to a formal occasion, unless you're getting hanged.

Her outfit is nice, the drummers and singers are the norm for special occasions, and seen at weddings and funerals, too.
It is obvious many here don't know jack about American Indian culture (My wife is Chippewa) and not a hell of a lot about cowboying either.

I've already defended the woman's right to wear the garb so I don't know what you want from me.  I just pointed out that she had to be prepared for a little criticism.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Hey if Julian Castro gets sworn in in a Sombrero and a Mariachi band in the background I guess the Injun can do it too without us Palefaces going on the warpath.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online mountaineer

Hey if Julian Castro gets sworn in in a Sombrero and a Mariachi band in the background I guess the Injun can do it too without us Palefaces going on the warpath.
That's more Roberto Beto Cortez Guadalajara Ay Caramba Tacos y Tamales Lucky Charms O'Rourke's style.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline LegalAmerican

According to Ancestry.com that could be a problem for me..I am from almost everywhere..lol

lol.  Then you can wear something different...every day!   A lot of choices.  Layers? 

Offline LegalAmerican

As is Brooks Brothers, Saks, and the host of European remakes that you consider 'normal' American clothing. All that 'style' is imported. Hers, at least, is American.

I am imported too.  I have only one outfit, as I am pure European, as far as I know.  Back then, people weren't  even allowed to marry outside their village.  Had more to do with property, than love.  Just saying...a bit over the top wearing that Native costume in 2019.  Wear it at home, celebrate it at home. BTW. I have great respect for Native Americans, as they are very spiritual and a talented group.  Just over the top for me.  :patriot:  :patriot:  :patriot:

Offline LegalAmerican

Plenty people, call Trump a Nazi if he wears his native Lederhosen.

Or Kilt. His mom was Scottish.  50/50.  Typical mixed American. 

Online libertybele

American Indian culture ... last time I checked this is AMERICA and she represents AMERICA.  It's not American Italian, American German, American African, American Hispanic, just plain ole AMERICAN.  Dressing up in garb to represent another culture, especially at  a Congressional swearing in ceremony is just plain wrong and ridiculous.  It has no place.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 09:31:35 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline LegalAmerican

..........Hawaiian Chippendale

Sorry...