Author Topic: First Native American woman elected to Washington legislature wears traditional regalia at swearing-  (Read 7990 times)

Offline LegalAmerican

Offline roamer_1

I can't. It is the equivalent of a formal evening dress for her. Even implying she shouldn't wear it,never mind complaining about her actually wearing it is positively anti-American. Her people were here long,LONG before Lizzy Warren's ancestors showed up.

@sneakypete
Yeah, I get all that... I was saying that the bright colors, totems, and jangly bits of typical native ceremonial wear might look like it came from a tourist trap (as some have actually said, right here on this thread)... Because tourist trap Indian shows and Hollywood make-believe is what they know - NOT that they are right in that assumption. To back east city folks it looks tacky, and they don't know that mamma's stylin. I was more allowing for their ignorance than anything.

Maybe it's a Rockies/Northern Plains thing. Here, cowboys and indians often see eye to eye... Rodeos have indian games built right into them. you will have to go far to find a (dress) cowboy hat without feathers, turquoise, or silver on em and native looking hat bands are common. Heck, many buckles and bolos are native themed.

Hillbillies even more so. A lot of my leathers have had bead and quill-work... I have a quill throat guard... My mocs have often had beadwork, as have knife sheaths and possibles bags. My 30.30 was decorated by a Salish gal. It's what they do.

Go to a powwow or a rondy here and either one will be about half native and half hillbilly, everybody dressed in leathers, and many of the natives, especially the gals, wearing bright, full on native dresses similar to their ceremonial stuff, or at least some of it.

So me and you, and Joe too, are probably more accustomed to Native ways. It is natural to me, at least... I will stand to correct the ignorance about it, but I get where that ignorance comes from.

I dare anyone to take a look at her and try to claim she is a poser,or that she is not connected in any way to her ancestors history. This ain't some gomer "playing cowboys and Indians".

That's right... Far be it from me to defend what is probably a liberal Democrat, and I hate to be put in that position... But her heritage is not part of that.

Offline LegalAmerican

From around the world.  Part one.

Sorry...

Offline roamer_1

In a way I agree with you.  It is however if they have an agenda because of it.  Like the Palestinian woman who wore her traditional garb.  She did it to make a point that she was Palestinian.  People either serve according to the Constitution or they are activists in office.  I think the Muslim will for sure be an activist for Palestinians in office.

Well of course she is going to have an agenda, and it will likely include Native affairs. That ain't any different than an Iowa farmer being more likely to worry about Big Ag than the price of tea in Des Moines. That doesn't mean he won't serve his constituency in Des Moines too, it's just a matter of who he is. You can't take the heritage outta her anymore than you can that farmer.

That being said, she is probably going to be out for reparations and such because of her being a Dem. I surely won't defend that sort of thing. But that's because she is a Democrat, not because she is a Native.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
[vine][/vine]
Well of course she is going to have an agenda, and it will likely include Native affairs. That ain't any different than an Iowa farmer being more likely to worry about Big Ag than the price of tea in Des Moines. That doesn't mean he won't serve his constituency in Des Moines too, it's just a matter of who he is. You can't take the heritage outta her anymore than you can that farmer.

That being said, she is probably going to be out for reparations and such because of her being a Dem. I surely won't defend that sort of thing. But that's because she is a Democrat, not because she is a Native.

Interestingly, up until recently, Natives leaned Republican and in places like Oklahoma, overwhelmingly, their representatives to the state legislature are Republicans. Even in Congress it was split evenly up until r cently with both Tom Cole and Markwayne Mullin being Congressman on Native rolls.

Generally Natives are very pragmatic and distrusting of big government (understandingly so) so they would be a prime audience for traditional Conservatives. However, the move towards populism on the right side changing that.

Offline roamer_1

[vine][/vine]
Interestingly, up until recently, Natives leaned Republican and in places like Oklahoma, overwhelmingly, their representatives to the state legislature are Republicans. Even in Congress it was split evenly up until r cently with both Tom Cole and Markwayne Mullin being Congressman on Native rolls.

Generally Natives are very pragmatic and distrusting of big government (understandingly so) so they would be a prime audience for traditional Conservatives. However, the move towards populism on the right side changing that.

That's right. This will probably get me in trouble, but it's the rez. Reservations tend to be on the teat, and whining for more... so their governance is largely in the Democrat bailiwick. But many of the Natives living on the rez, and most of those off the rez tend to live their lives as conservatives, and tend toward civil libertarianism just as you describe.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 01:48:04 am by roamer_1 »

Offline LegalAmerican

I think the point is made. Come on. Everybody show up in your traditional heritage GARB.

Sorry...

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I think the point is made. Come on. Everybody show up in your traditional heritage GARB.

Sorry...

According to Ancestry.com that could be a problem for me..I am from almost everywhere..lol
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline musiclady

I don't see a problem with this.

I agree, and very much appreciate the defense of Native people on this thread.

(Even though I'm an Eastern - sort of - city girl.  happy77)
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline NavyCanDo

I don't see a problem with this.

As a resident of WA use to seeing our NW Indians in their traditional regalia at occasional events, I don't find this unusual or out of place. However, our idiot governor standing in the back wearing a robe, now that is downright hilarious.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline ABX

That's right. This will probably get me in trouble, but it's the rez. Reservations tend to be on the teat, and whining for more... so their governance is largely in the Democrat bailiwick. But many of the Natives living on the rez, and most of those off the rez tend to live their lives as conservatives, and tend toward civil libertarianism just as you describe.

It is going g to change with younger generations. Their grandparents remember why you shouldn't trust a big, powerful government. The younger generations, besides typical political targeting, don't have that difference to look to. They see two major parties both representing big government, but one is offering them stuff (and they don't understand the trap) and the other, as seen even on this thread, is condescending to them and their culture.

If any political group needs to step up and could meet their traditional values and attitudes, it should be the Libertarian. But unfortunately the party is too dysfunctional.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
This is not the point @Sanguine ... Once one cultural/ethnic costume is permitted in American legislatures ... all must be. You don't get the luxury of picking and choosing.  This is one instance where it's none or all.  We've lived with none for 240 years, let's not bleep with it now....even if you happen to find it benign.

If you don't want Muslim garb .... then you can't accept Indian dress.

It's ....oh, what's that word .... ah yes, the *principle* needs to be upheld.

Again, that's a false equivalency.  Native American culture is not equal to islam. 

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
We are so screwed.  This is what diversity brings. AFRICANS?  BONE IN NOSE?  Grass skirts.  Scottish skirts?  Can the men wear Leder Hosen?  I saw a DRUM. DRUMMING. Are you guys kidding me?  Burka's.  Greek dress, with the pom poms and white hose.
More than ridiculous.
As is Brooks Brothers, Saks, and the host of European remakes that you consider 'normal' American clothing. All that 'style' is imported. Hers, at least, is American.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil

I can tell you what the agenda is going to be.  I live here.  We have several Native American celebrations, events.........etc.  I love the Native Americans in our area but be assured the agenda is environmental.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline roamer_1

I can tell you what the agenda is going to be.  I live here.  We have several Native American celebrations, events.........etc.  I love the Native Americans in our area but be assured the agenda is environmental.

Yeah, probably. But not in a good way.
There are Natives here that do likewise. Right now they are trying to claim original water rights to every drip of water in the state, and the feds are backing the play.
Believe me, I know.

That don't make em all that way. It ain't because they're native - It's because they're Democrats.

Offline goodwithagun

Wow. Where did states’ rights go with conservatives?
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline ABX

Wow. Where did states’ rights go with conservatives?

Populists took over. They like big, central federal government.

Offline Chosen Daughter

Yeah, probably. But not in a good way.
There are Natives here that do likewise. Right now they are trying to claim original water rights to every drip of water in the state, and the feds are backing the play.
Believe me, I know.

That don't make em all that way. It ain't because they're native - It's because they're Democrats.

@NavyCanDo spotted it.  Its Jay Inslee in the back wearing his Native blanket.  Believe me Its an environmental agenda.  They are trying to force an environmental tax on us.  Oh, BTW I guess he is going to run for president.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline goodwithagun

Populists took over. They like big, central federal government.

Might one say, a yuge federal government?
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline goodwithagun

We are so screwed.  This is what diversity brings. AFRICANS?  BONE IN NOSE?  Grass skirts.  Scottish skirts?  Can the men wear Leder Hosen?  I saw a DRUM. DRUMMING. Are you guys kidding me?  Burka's.  Greek dress, with the pom poms and white hose.
More than ridiculous.

Yeah, no. They’re kilts, not skirts. They’re also $&*@#%& hot. @RoosGirl can I get a ruling on this asshat’s logic?
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline goodwithagun

My exhibit A: Hotter than anything @LegalAmerican has had, based on previous post.

[attachment deleted by admin]
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Chosen Daughter

Its drumming now.  Can't wait for government displays of Ashoura

Offline roamer_1

Oh, BTW I guess he is going to run for president.

Whee!  *****rollingeyes*****

Offline Frank Cannon

Offline RoosGirl

My exhibit A: Hotter than anything @LegalAmerican has had, based on previous post.

Completely acceptable in any sane person's book.