Author Topic: First Native American woman elected to Washington legislature wears traditional regalia at swearing-  (Read 7996 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
American Indian culture ... last time I checked this is AMERICA and she represents AMERICA.  It's not American Italian, American German, American African, American Hispanic, just plain ole AMERICAN.  Dressing up in garb to represent another culture, especially at  a Congressional swearing in ceremony is just plain wrong and ridiculous.  It has no place.
She represents her district in the WASHINGTON STATE LEGISLATURE.

Sheesh!

Her people were here before the Europeans invaded and brought their fashion sense, regularly updated from Europe. Now you're going to assert that she is unAmerican for wearing uniquely American clothing?

Why don't you fashion mavens go fawn over the FLOTUS' shoes?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 10:11:42 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline musiclady

It's funny how people point out a host of garb from other countries and even berate this woman for not wearing the latest fashions derived from those fresh from Paris, France, and can ignore the fact that her traditional garb is the only actual American outfit in the room. Next thing, y'all will be telling her to go back if she doesn't like it here.

If you know enough about her politics to not like them, harp on that. Not the idea of wearing something as traditional for ceremonies among her people as a tuxedo or evening gown is for y'all. And please keep in mind that what she is wearing is traditional American, not some knock off from some other country or continent.

A lot of knee jerk stuff going on here, Joe.   :shrug:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline roamer_1

Ted Cruz, Greg Abbott, Rick Perry and a lot of Texas men wear boots frequently, but I don't think they would add spurs and a rope at a swearing in ceremony.

HUH?

I don't know about where you come from, but around these parts, it is awfully bad manners to wear spurs indoors... Doesn't happen. And what's a rope got to do with anything?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Hard to believe this thread is still going.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline roamer_1

American Indian culture ... last time I checked this is AMERICA and she represents AMERICA.  It's not American Italian, American German, American African, American Hispanic, just plain ole AMERICAN.  Dressing up in garb to represent another culture, especially at  a Congressional swearing in ceremony is just plain wrong and ridiculous.  It has no place.

It isn't another culture. It is standard fare in the West.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Hard to believe this thread is still going.

No one Yelled "Geronimo" yet.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.