Author Topic: First Native American woman elected to Washington legislature wears traditional regalia at swearing-  (Read 7992 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
First Native American woman elected to Washington legislature wears traditional regalia at swearing-in
By Aris Folley - 01/15/19 06:35 PM EST

Washington State Rep. Debra Lekanoff (D), who is the first Native American woman to ever be elected to the state’s House of Representatives, was sworn into office wearing traditional regalia this week.

Lekanoff, who was elected to represent the state’s 40th House district back in November, could be seen in photos from the ceremony on Monday wearing traditional Native American regalia, moccasins, beaded earrings and braids, while standing alongside members of local tribes who played the drums and sang in the Coast Salish language.

According to Lekanoff’s office, the regalia worn by the newly sworn-in state representative during the ceremony belonged to her grandmother and was “passed down generations.”

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/425526-first-native-american-woman-elected-to-washington-legislature-wears
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
That she actually bought at a gift shop at an amusement park
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

Liz Warren approves.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline andy58-in-nh

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I don't see a problem with this.

Offline libertybele

First Native American woman elected to Washington legislature wears traditional regalia at swearing-in
By Aris Folley - 01/15/19 06:35 PM EST

Washington State Rep. Debra Lekanoff (D), who is the first Native American woman to ever be elected to the state’s House of Representatives, was sworn into office wearing traditional regalia this week.

Lekanoff, who was elected to represent the state’s 40th House district back in November, could be seen in photos from the ceremony on Monday wearing traditional Native American regalia, moccasins, beaded earrings and braids, while standing alongside members of local tribes who played the drums and sang in the Coast Salish language.

According to Lekanoff’s office, the regalia worn by the newly sworn-in state representative during the ceremony belonged to her grandmother and was “passed down generations.”

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/425526-first-native-american-woman-elected-to-washington-legislature-wears

This is totally asinine.  Either you ARE an American or you're not.  I'm sick of the hyphenated American syndrome.  IF one cannot FULLY assimilate to our culture they have absolutely no business running for office in America.  I wonder which laws she will abide by?  U.S. law or Native American law?  Gee, I wonder if 'her' culture will have any bearing on how she votes?   9999hair out0000
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline andy58-in-nh

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
This is totally asinine.  Either you ARE an American or you're not.  I'm sick of the hyphenated American syndrome.  IF one cannot FULLY assimilate to our culture they have absolutely no business running for office in America.  I wonder which laws she will abide by?  U.S. law or Native American law?  Gee, I wonder if 'her' culture will have any bearing on how she votes?   9999hair out0000

Aren't Salish part of her constituency?  That is partly who she is representing.  If Greg Abbott shows up for his swearing in wearing a cowboy hat is that a bad thing?

Offline dfwgator

That she actually bought at a gift shop at an amusement park

No doubt it was made in China.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Me, neither. It's a nice outfit, as traditional dress goes. No longer limited to mere tanned hide and furs, many powwow outfits and dance costumes are quite colorful. At least she is really native, and comparing her to Warren does her a disservice.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

No hyphens in Native American (go ahead, check, don't take my word for it).

Do you celebrate on St Patrick's day? Easter? Passover? Hannukah? Christmas? NONE of those are native celebrations to this land. If you eat that special dish on holidays, the one grandma made in the old country, or dress in lederhosen and celebrate Oktoberfest, or even eat lutefisk (no, thanks!) at the Norsk Hostfest, then are you undercutting American culture? My Brother in law wore a Kilt to marry my sister--as did all those of Scots ancestry at the wedding--and a few who weren't. Does that make them subversive?

Nope, just Americans. While most of us hail form the far corners of the globe, there were folks here when the place was 'discovered' by Europeans.
The lady is dressed in traditional ceremonial garb for her heritage. That doesn't make her any less American.

@roamer_1 You know the Salish better than I do. What do you think?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 09:53:20 am by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat

I don’t either. I think it’s kind of neat, actually
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online roamer_1

Nope, just Americans. While most of us hail form the far corners of the globe, there were folks here when the place was 'discovered' by Europeans.
The lady is dressed in traditional ceremonial garb for her heritage. That doesn't make her any less American.

@roamer_1 You know the Salish better than I do. What do you think?

@Smokin Joe

Well Joe, them ain't proper Salish like what I know... Coastal Salish is a whole passel of tribes over in the Vancouver Island area... Lots and lots of tribes in that, and likely different than here...  Ours here are mainly Kootenai and Flathead and some Pend d' Oreille ... Can't speak for other than my own...

But as usual, you and me are gonna agree, hands down. Sorta like a cross between your best duds and going all out for a tux... except with a whole heck of a lot of tribal and family honor rolled up in it... And it ain't even a bit uncommon that such a thing would be handed down for generations.

IOW, it is honorable and means a whole lot.

But I can see where folks that don't live around Native Americans might be jarred by the appearance of ceremonial dress. It ain't something what they'd be used to, and wouldn't understand the importance and tradition of it all.

EDIT: And btw, I mean you are right about the non-hyphenation. Those I know are proud Americans. Ain;t no different them being Salish than me being Dutch and observing my traditions... Though I will admit to being more in their traditions than my own anymore. :)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 11:49:07 am by roamer_1 »

Online roamer_1

Me, neither. It's a nice outfit, as traditional dress goes. No longer limited to mere tanned hide and furs, many powwow outfits and dance costumes are quite colorful. At least she is really native, and comparing her to Warren does her a disservice.

That's dang well right... Other than the Democrat part.

Funny that, as most of em I know are pretty conservative...

Offline LMAO

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online Smokin Joe

That's dang well right... Other than the Democrat part.

Funny that, as most of em I know are pretty conservative...
It's still, in many tribes, a warrior culture. A lot of youngsters join up and serve in the armed forces, and are honored for having done so. Once folks get off the Res, they do really well if they have a notion to. Family is all important, and once you are accepted, you are family.Elders and ancestors have special weight in the telling of things, and the elders are respected by the young. There are many aspects in keeping with some of the best aspects of European cultures--aspects which seem to be fading away in much of America.

C S Lewis

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Sanguine

Me,either. Some people here seem to be wound too tightly. This woman IS an actual American Indian,so what's the problem?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@dfwgator

I am fairly certain that is the origin of their traditional straw hats,and strongly suspect the tribe originally came here from China.

Offline Frank Cannon

Looks like they were filming a Mazola ad.....

Sorry...

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@Smokin Joe

@roamer_1

IOW, it is honorable and means a whole lot.

Yup,and many people,especially female people,really like to dress up for important formal events.

But I can see where folks that don't live around Native Americans might be jarred by the appearance of ceremonial dress.

I can't. It is the equivalent of a formal evening dress for her. Even implying she shouldn't wear it,never mind complaining about her actually wearing it is positively anti-American. Her people were here long,LONG before Lizzy Warren's ancestors showed up.

In the spirit of full disclosure,I am myself 1/4 Tuscorara. I do not and have never considered myself to be an American Indian,and other than my black eyes do not look like an Indian,so it would be like wearing a costume if someone like me showed up dressed in "formal Injun wear" at a formal event to be sworn into public office. At a Halloween Party,yes,but not to be sworn in as an elected official.

I dare anyone to take a look at her and try to claim she is a poser,or that she is not connected in any way to her ancestors history. This ain't some gomer "playing cowboys and Indians".

Some people here seem to be wound to tightly,and need to back away from their keyboards for a few days,and maybe take a vacation somewhere nice and warm to lay in the sun and relax some.

P.S. Ok,ok,I told a little lie. I DO sometimes claim to be an American Indian,but mostly only when I want to piss someone off. I gotta be me. Other than that I just mention it when anyone asks about my ancestry. It's nothing to be either proud of or ashamed about.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 01:45:59 pm by sneakypete »

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Wow. Just wow. I'm surprised you didn't tell her to go back to her own country.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Looks like they were filming a Mazola ad.....

Sorry...

@Amb. Frank Cannon

LOL! It does seem that way,doesn't it?

Offline Right_in_Virginia

There's a reason legislatures have historically banned all native costumes.  I believe it has something to do with a melting pot....from many, one. @Sanguine