Author Topic: ‘My Professor Cares’  (Read 538 times)

rangerrebew

‘My Professor Cares’
« on: January 15, 2019, 03:11:51 pm »

‘My Professor Cares’

Can “light-touch, targeted feedback” to students via email improve their perceptions of and performance in a class? New research says in some cases the answer is yes.

By
Colleen Flaherty
January 14, 2019

Students benefit from increased faculty engagement. Yet many professors still resist more student-centered teaching.

Part of the problem is that graduate schools are slow to adopt pedagogical training, meaning that some professors may want to up their interaction with students but don’t know how. Another part of the problem is that becoming a better teacher takes time, an increasingly scarce faculty resource.

What if engagement wasn’t complicated and didn’t take that much time? Preliminary research called "My Professor Cares: Experimental Evidence on the Role of Faculty Engagement," presented last week at the annual meeting of the American Economics Association, suggests that even “light touch” interventions can make a difference to students.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2019/01/14/can-light-touch-targeted-feedback-students-improve-their-perceptions-and-performance

rangerrebew

Re: ‘My Professor Cares’
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 03:17:13 pm »

Can “light-touch, targeted feedback” to students via email improve their perceptions of and performance in a class? New research says in some cases the answer is yes.

I agree but  "light touch or targeted feedback" are more likely to put a teacher or professor into a Brett Kavanaugh type situation, i.e. sexual advances or bigoted or racist, so most teachers have given up trying which is sad for the students. :jail: