Author Topic: 'Gang of 20' emerges in Senate to push for a border wall deal  (Read 2855 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
'Gang of 20' emerges in Senate to push for a border wall deal
« on: January 15, 2019, 03:10:11 pm »
'Gang of 20' emerges in Senate to push for a border wall deal
by Susan Ferrechio
 | January 15, 2019 12:00 AM

Senate lawmakers have formed a new bipartisan “gang” to try to resolve the impasse over border wall funding that has caused the longest government shutdown in history.

The group includes 20 Senate lawmakers — 10 Republicans and 10 Democrats — according to Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas. Cornyn is not in the gang but is a member of the GOP leadership team and has been briefed on the discussions so far.

“My hypothesis is when federal employees start missing their paychecks, that changes the picture,” Cornyn said. “A lot more Senate Democrats are under pressure. If people start breaking off, maybe there is a chance to end the impasse.”

Cornyn said he also talked to “a senior Senate Democrat about some ideas of what we could do,” but he added a proposal would ultimately have to meet President Trump’s demand for border wall funding, which Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., and Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., have so far refused.

“I”m glad they are talking, but no real progress yet, other than talking,” Cornyn said, referring to the gang.

It's been nearly six years since the Gang of Eight organized an immigration bill that envisioned a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants in exchange for tougher border security measures and language aimed at ensuring immigrants don't overstay their visas. The Gang of Eight bill passed in a 68-32 vote in the Senate, but it was never taken up in the Republican-led House.

The new "gang" consists of 20 percent of the Senate and is hoping to find some kind of answer on immigration that allows the government shutdown to end. Getting there will likely involve some agreement to fund a border wall, a demand of President Trump's, and some kind of tradeoff that Democrats can support.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/congress/gang-of-20-emerges-in-senate-to-push-for-a-border-wall-deal
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Re: 'Gang of 20' emerges in Senate to push for a border wall deal
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 03:24:57 pm »
That folks is Lindsey Graham undermining the President.  And more importantly undermining the will of the people when they voted for border control. 

It seems that even Trumps close friends are against him.  Isn't that rich.  For two years here I have been slammed for not supporting everything Trump says or does.  Truth is that it is his closest friends and appointments that undermine him.  I guess they aren't never Trumpers though.  Just sometime Trumpers with their own agenda.

Lindsey Graham.  Wanna be President.

And all that Lindsey Graham is doing is giving ammunition to the liberals who take it and say Republicans willing but Trump isn't.  Amnesty has always been his fight and he wants it.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 03:31:26 pm by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 03:26:04 pm »
Cornyn better not join this gang.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 03:31:49 pm »
That folks is Lindsey Graham undermining the President.  And more importantly undermining the will of the people when they voted for border control. 

It seems that even Trumps close friends are against him.  Isn't that rich.  For two years here I have been slammed for not supporting everything Trump says or does.  Truth is that it is his closest friends and appointments that undermine him.  I guess they aren't never Trumpers though.  Just sometime Trumpers with their own agenda.

There are no "friends" to be had in the DC swamp.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 03:36:56 pm »
There are no "friends" to be had in the DC swamp.

No, but Trump has been a bad judge of character more than once.  He should have surrounded himself with people who agree with his platform.  Its been evident more than once.  Bad Character judgment. 
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 03:39:03 pm »
Cornyn better not join this gang.

Sounds like he's working with them.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 03:39:46 pm »
No, but Trump has been a bad judge of character more than once.  He should have surrounded himself with people who agree with his platform.  Its been evident more than once.  Bad Character judgment.

I completely understand that it looks to be the case, however, I don't believe that he (nor any other in his place) has much of a choice in selecting and placing people in any positions that require confirmation.  As far as the actors in the House and Senate, the best that can be done is to seek some kind of "bargain" with them for a level of temporary "support."

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 03:41:10 pm »
The Establishment loves open borders. That's why they hate Trump.

Online rustynail

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 03:44:02 pm »
Gangsters.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 05:17:12 pm »
The article doesn't name names and it only reports 10 DEMS and 10 GOP.  I want to know ALL the names as it would prove most interesting ... RUBIO backpedaled quite a bit when he was running for the presidency ... my hunch is he's at it again.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 05:21:55 pm »

And all that Lindsey Graham is doing is giving ammunition to the liberals who take it and say Republicans willing but Trump isn't.  Amnesty has always been his fight and he wants it.

I agree with you; this will only give the DEMS ammunition.  You know darn well that the DEMS will want some form of amnesty, DACA, and continued birthright citizenship, etc., etc.

That is why I made the comment in another thread; I am not confident in this GOP Senate.  This is exactly why.  Trump is proclaiming that the GOP is standing united and then the GOP turns around and agrees to a 'Gang'.   
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 05:28:53 pm »
The article doesn't name names and it only reports 10 DEMS and 10 GOP.  I want to know ALL the names as it would prove most interesting ... RUBIO backpedaled quite a bit when he was running for the presidency ... my hunch is he's at it again.
that backpedaling by Marco cust him any chance to ever be the nominee.  Thank God he showed his true colors.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 05:37:17 pm »
Sounds like he's working with them.

This 'gang' totally misunderstands the mindset of 'that gang', i.e. the Pelosi/Schumer gang.

They will not give Trump the wall because they are rightly convinced that it would solidify his standing with his base and make him almost impossible to beat in 2020.

So, no, we cannot give them an inch.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 05:37:58 pm »
Border security for Dreamers.   That's the fair deal that should be able to break the impasse.   The question is - do either the Dems or Trump want to break the impasse?   They are each pandering to their respective bases,  who each view the other side as having evil motives.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2019, 05:41:50 pm »
That folks is Lindsey Graham undermining the President. 

Bullshit.  This is Lindsay Graham trying to save the President's arse.   The outlines of a fair deal are there for anyone with eyes to see.   But not everyone is willing to open their eyes.     

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2019, 05:43:11 pm »
Bullshit.  This is Lindsay Graham trying to save the President's arse.   The outlines of a fair deal are there for anyone with eyes to see.   But not everyone is willing to open their eyes.     

You have way too much faith in the reasonableness of the democrats.  It does not exist.  Open your own eyes.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2019, 05:44:53 pm »

By working with openly duplicitous democrats?  How does that work?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2019, 06:23:32 pm »
I'm not a fan of "gangs" in the Senate, and my jury is out on this one until I see the list of 20.  If it's the usual batch of RINOs that are always forming gangs as a way to force compromise with Rats (against the wishes of conservatives) then I'm against this one.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline thackney

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2019, 06:40:38 pm »
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/425333-senators-restart-shutdown-talks-and-quickly-hit-roadblocks

A bipartisan group of senators met on Monday night to search for a way out of the partial government shutdown, but made no visible progress toward breaking the weeks-long stalemate....

...Kaine and Coons are two of more than a dozen senators who met in Sen. Joe Manchin's (D-W.Va.) Capitol hideaway off a low-ceilinged basement hallway to hunt for a way out of the partial shutdown, which is currently on its 24th day.

In addition to Kaine, Coons and Manchin, Sens. Susan Collins (R-Maine), Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.), Doug Jones (D-Ala.), Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), Rob Portman (R-Ohio), Mark Warner (D-Va.), Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.), Cory Gardner (R-Colo.), Ben Cardin (D-Md.), Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) and Thom Tillis (R-N.C.) took part in the meeting....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2019, 06:42:16 pm »
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/425333-senators-restart-shutdown-talks-and-quickly-hit-roadblocks

A bipartisan group of senators met on Monday night to search for a way out of the partial government shutdown, but made no visible progress toward breaking the weeks-long stalemate....

...Kaine and Coons are two of more than a dozen senators who met in Sen. Joe Manchin's (D-W.Va.) Capitol hideaway off a low-ceilinged basement hallway to hunt for a way out of the partial shutdown, which is currently on its 24th day.

In addition to Kaine, Coons and Manchin, Sens. Susan Collins (R-Maine), Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.), Doug Jones (D-Ala.), Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), Rob Portman (R-Ohio), Mark Warner (D-Va.), Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.), Cory Gardner (R-Colo.), Ben Cardin (D-Md.), Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) and Thom Tillis (R-N.C.) took part in the meeting....

Well, then.  If anyone here thought this was a good idea, this should correct that mistake.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2019, 07:07:40 pm »
You have way too much faith in the reasonableness of the democrats.  It does not exist.  Open your own eyes.

The goal is an equitable compromise.   We get what we need - real funding for border security - and they get something that's of interest to their coalition.    That's what a compromise is.  Now I understand that folks on both sides may simply be unwilling to compromise or even bargain - that sometimes happens when one is convinced of the other side's mendacity -  but public policy has been advanced for centuries by means of horse-trading.   

I am not suggesting that conservatives compromise the issue of border security - far from it, for our sovereignty as a nation depends on it.   But to get the needed money,  I have absolutely no objection to, for example,  normalizing the status of the "Dreamers".    That's good policy, just as border security is good policy.    There's an opportunity for a win-win for both sides, if only we could return to the days when we didn't reflexively hate each other.   

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2019, 07:10:29 pm »
I'm not a fan of "gangs" in the Senate, and my jury is out on this one until I see the list of 20.  If it's the usual batch of RINOs that are always forming gangs as a way to force compromise with Rats (against the wishes of conservatives) then I'm against this one.

So long as the compromise includes the money the President needs for border security,  what's wrong with that?   

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2019, 07:34:39 pm »
So long as the compromise includes the money the President needs for border security,  what's wrong with that?   

I'll tell you what's wrong:  Anybody willing to compromise without knowing what the other side wants is a fool.  Wait...a damned fool.

Until I know who this gang is, it's no deal as far as I'm concerned.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2019, 07:43:39 pm »
Well, then.  If anyone here thought this was a good idea, this should correct that mistake.

Yup.  The squishiest of the squishes.

No deal, @Jazzhead
I will NOT comply.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2019, 08:00:31 pm »
Yup.  The squishiest of the squishes.

No deal, @Jazzhead

There's no deal without Trump's agreement.