Author Topic: Information Overmatch: How Information Dominance Will Win Our Nation’s Wars  (Read 391 times)

rangerrebew

Information Overmatch: How Information Dominance Will Win Our Nation’s Wars

Matthew A. Horning

Since its inception, DoD’s Acquisition workforce has been focused on the idea of combat overmatch, particularly in its combat systems.  Combat overmatch, simply put, is the concept where my (insert lethality system here) can willfully and without prejudice or luck defeat your (insert your protective system here).  Combat overmatch has been the goal in military forces since the first armed forces organized and entered in combat.  In prehistory, combat overmatch is achieved by overwhelming numbers.  Technology plays a role, such as bronze weaponry, but by in large, the force who overwhelms the other with more forces is victorious.  As prehistory turns to ancient history other factors start coming into play.  Standoff distance becomes a factor and technologies are integrated into warfare to increase standoff distance: archery, polearms, and early ballistic devices such as catapults and trebuchets.  Standoff distance is the notion that if I can reach you but you can’t reach me I have the advantage.  Standoff is the reason a boxer’s reach is a measured quantity.

https://smallwarsjournal.com/jrnl/art/information-overmatch-how-information-dominance-will-win-our-nations-wars