Author Topic: The War on Terror's Total Cost: $5,900,000,000,000  (Read 2249 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
The War on Terror's Total Cost: $5,900,000,000,000
« on: January 15, 2019, 04:00:35 am »
The War on Terror's Total Cost: $5,900,000,000,000
by Daniel R. DePetris Follow @DanDePetris on Twitter L

By any reasonable estimate, the monetary and human costs of the U.S.-led war on terrorism has been considerable. To the political scientists at Brown University, the numbers have been astronomical. The Ivy League university’s Cost of War Project calculates that Washington will spend approximately $5.9 trillion between FY2001-FY2019, a pot of money that includes over $2 trillion in overseas contingency operations, $924 billion in homeland security spending, and $353 billion in medical and disability care for U.S. troops serving in overseas conflict zones. Add the cost of interest to borrowed money into the equation, and the American people will be paying back the debt for decades to come.

The never-ending war on terrorism, of course, has also twisted the U.S. Armed Forces into a pretzel. With the United States operating in 40 percent of the world’s countries and leading sixty-five separate security training programs from the jungles of Columbia to the jungles of Thailand, is it any wonder why defense-minded think tanks, the Pentagon leadership and the armed services committees continue to talk about a readiness crisis? Washington is deploying troops, trainers and advisers to so many places that even America’s elected representatives are frequently in the dark about how the military is being used, what it is doing and where it is operating. Indeed, when four U.S. special forces troops were ambushed and killed by a small group of Islamic State-affiliated tribal fighters during a joint U.S. raid near the Niger-Mali border, lawmakers in Washington were aghast that American soldiers were in Niger to begin with. In a televised admission about how out-of-the-loop lawmakers were, Sen. Lindsey Graham commented that “[w]e don't know exactly where we're at in the world, militarily, and what we're doing.”

Read more at: https://nationalinterest.org/blog/skeptics/war-terrors-total-cost-5900000000000-41307

National Interest runs articles by free-lance journalists and I'm convinced a lot of them don't know much more than some of us do.

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: The War on Terror's Total Cost: $5,900,000,000,000
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 04:29:25 am »
Well that was $6 Trillion well spent. The country is so much freer and strong because of it....

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 09:57:12 am »
Washington is deploying troops, trainers and advisers to so many places that even America’s elected representatives are frequently in the dark about how the military is being used, what it is doing and where it is operating.

With the number of questionable folks who get elected, that's just standard levels of OPSEC. OTOH, they could just e-mail the war plans directly instead of telling Congress...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 01:34:42 pm »
So? Better there than here.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 11:39:20 pm »
From the article:
"The War on Terror's Total Cost: $5,900,000,000,000"

What has $5,900,000,000,000 won us?
Essentially ... NOTHING.

islam's reach across the world is an order of magnitude GREATER THAN it was on the morning of September 11, 2001.

The "war on terror" cannot defeat the struggle the West faces against islam.
Worse, it NEVER COULD.

There was no chance of that happening, because a "war on terror" does nothing more than gather up this season's crop of "bad apples" from a "greater tree". That tree remains and is sprouting more fruit than it ever has.

The struggle we of The West are in can only be won HERE, at home, on OUR GROUND.
islam knows this -- it knows that "the fight" is not in dar al-islam, but in dar al-harb.
And it is fighting more furiously than ever.

In the meantime, we are GOING BACKWARDS on our home ground.

So once again, I'll pose to every reader of this forum "the question" (that no one ever seems brave enough to answer):
Who's winning....?

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 12:22:57 am »
From the article:

Essentially ... NOTHING.

islam's reach across the world is an order of magnitude GREATER THAN it was on the morning of September 11, 2001.

The "war on terror" cannot defeat the struggle the West faces against islam.
Worse, it NEVER COULD.

There was no chance of that happening, because a "war on terror" does nothing more than gather up this season's crop of "bad apples" from a "greater tree". That tree remains and is sprouting more fruit than it ever has.

The struggle we of The West are in can only be won HERE, at home, on OUR GROUND.
islam knows this -- it knows that "the fight" is not in dar al-islam, but in dar al-harb.
And it is fighting more furiously than ever.

In the meantime, we are GOING BACKWARDS on our home ground.

So once again, I'll pose to every reader of this forum "the question" (that no one ever seems brave enough to answer):
Who's winning....?

I'm surprised that you get no answers.  Doesn't require much bravery, just clarity of mind: izlam is winning since "our side" can't even articulate the nature of the enemy.

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 12:31:11 am »
From the article:

Essentially ... NOTHING.

Who's winning....?

The ones who are trying to destroy this country from within. 

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 12:48:36 am »
I'm surprised that you get no answers.  Doesn't require much bravery, just clarity of mind: izlam is winning since "our side" can't even articulate the nature of the enemy.

I stated on TOS in the weeks right after 9/11 that this was an existential threat for us because they would use the First Amendment and our innate belief in the freedoms codified therein against us.   I’ve seen nothing to dissuade me of that notion...quite the contrary in fact.  They’re more than happy to fight a 100year battle...
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 02:51:37 am »
I stated on TOS in the weeks right after 9/11 that this was an existential threat for us because they would use the First Amendment and our innate belief in the freedoms codified therein against us.   I’ve seen nothing to dissuade me of that notion...quite the contrary in fact.  They’re more than happy to fight a 100year battle...

Sounds like you nailed it then. (And there isn't anything to disprove it since.)

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 10:26:23 am »

Then we should fight them for 100 years. Also, it sounds like you don't like the 1st Amendment or the Bill of Rights.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 12:16:05 pm »

Then we should fight them for 100 years. Also, it sounds like you don't like the 1st Amendment or the Bill of Rights.
Like it or not, he's right. In the Maryland Colony, founded by Catholics on a basis of freedom of religion, that freedom was extended to all. Within 100 years, the Protestants who had come in had a reformation, hunting Catholic Priests. Only the Nobility under English Common Law were exempt. One priest sold himself to one of my ancestors, becaame property of the Manor Lord, and untouchable without express permission (which was not forthcoming). When things settled down, the Priest bought his freedom back.

It is foolish to forget that our Constitution, our Republic was crafted for a moral society, in keeping with the tenets of  Western, Christian culture. Islam knows no such cultural bounds, and will exploit what we see as strength, as weakness. The First Amendment guarantees them that opportunity if their numbers reach sufficiency to pull it off, and in some small locales, they have.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 02:09:46 pm »
Like it or not, he's right. In the Maryland Colony, founded by Catholics on a basis of freedom of religion, that freedom was extended to all. Within 100 years, the Protestants who had come in had a reformation, hunting Catholic Priests. Only the Nobility under English Common Law were exempt. One priest sold himself to one of my ancestors, becaame property of the Manor Lord, and untouchable without express permission (which was not forthcoming). When things settled down, the Priest bought his freedom back.

It is foolish to forget that our Constitution, our Republic was crafted for a moral society, in keeping with the tenets of  Western, Christian culture. Islam knows no such cultural bounds, and will exploit what we see as strength, as weakness. The First Amendment guarantees them that opportunity if their numbers reach sufficiency to pull it off, and in some small locales, they have.

So we should ban Islam?? The Constitution is a suicide pact.

Offline Fishrrman

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 02:52:36 pm »
Smokin' Joe wrote:
"It is foolish to forget that our Constitution, our Republic was crafted for a moral society, in keeping with the tenets of  Western, Christian culture. Islam knows no such cultural bounds, and will exploit what we see as strength, as weakness. The First Amendment guarantees them that opportunity if their numbers reach sufficiency to pull it off, and in some small locales, they have."

That's why this:
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Should be changed to this:
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. The followers of muhammed are specifically excluded and denied the protections of this amendment along with any and all other Constitutional protections. Neither the United States nor the Several States will offer such protections or liberties to the followers of muhammed."

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 02:57:31 pm »

We can, in compliance with the Constitution, limit who we let into the country. Anything else would require special circumstances. I am more in fear of the communists and other totalitarians that that bunch.

C S Lewis

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 03:50:16 pm »
We can, in compliance with the Constitution, limit who we let into the country. Anything else would require special circumstances. I am more in fear of the communists and other totalitarians that that bunch.

What about people who are born in this country who practice Islam? Round them up and put them in camps?

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2019, 09:08:21 pm »

@kevindavis
Where the hell did you get that retarded idea?  My stating a fact in no way indicates my opinion about anything.  Talk about a non sequitur...    22222frying pan
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2019, 11:01:45 pm »

What about people who are born in this country who practice Islam? Round them up and put them in camps?
Nope but to remain here, as for anyone else, they must comply with our laws.

Now, that's the bugaboo, because if a non Muslim praactices genital mutilation of young girls, well, that's incompatible with our child abuse laws (although the transgender folks are working on that).

If a Muslim commits an 'honor killing', well we have a problem with murder.

There are a lot of fundamental incompatibilities between Sharia and our legal system, and if those can't be resolved, then people should be prosecuted under our law. If those who practice Islam don't like that, they should not be permitted to establish fiefdoms on American soil, but asked to either leave or comply with our law or suffer the consequences.
Extending the First Amendment to use as a cover for breaking the law is a bit much.
Just because someone claims to be Aztec, we don't let them build a pyramid and start cutting hearts out for their sun god.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 11:03:57 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2019, 12:30:53 am »
kevindavis asked:
"What about people who are born in this country who practice Islam? Round them up and put them in camps?"

Yes.
And then offer them 2 choices:
1. Convert to Christianity (or some religion other than islam)
or
2. Pick a nation in dar al-islam to which they wish to be deposited.

And yes ... that's what I really believe.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2019, 02:03:33 am »

Yes.
The entire religion is in direct conflict with the Constitution.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2019, 02:26:17 am »
Yes.

@IsailedawayfromFR

That’s because it is NOT primarily a religion.  Rather, it is primarily a system of governance.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2019, 03:04:07 am »
Yes.

Ok what other religions do you want to ban then?? 

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2019, 03:21:17 am »

Ok what other religions do you want to ban then??
Any that are also in direct conflict with this country's founding laws and principles.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2019, 03:24:18 am »
@IsailedawayfromFR

That’s because it is NOT primarily a religion.  Rather, it is primarily a system of governance.

Right as rain!  Islam is a political movement cloaked as religion and always has been!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2019, 03:57:39 am »
From the article:

Essentially ... NOTHING.

Since the WOT began, I haven't seen any more massive attacks on US soil.  No skyscrapers destroyed from the air.  No nations governed by terrorist entities.  I have seen former terrorist-supporting nations disavow those efforts and end WMD programs.  I have witnessed vastly more cooperation from the Arab world in fighting terrorism than at any time in history.  And I have seen long-lasting stability in petroleum prices that have provided a huge economic benefit to this nation.

So to say that it hasn't benefited us is preposterous.  I don't recall anyone, ANYONE, in 2001 that was saying we shouldn't respond to 9/11.  No voice was heard saying that we should leave Afghanistan in the hands of the Taliban and let that government assist Al Qaeda in its next attack.  Instead, there was a great amount of concern regarding WMD around the world and the potential for another disaster.

President Bush led the fight against this, and for it he should be loudly praised.  His entire Iraq/Afganistan War campaign cost less than $700 million which was a bargain.  At the same time, he garnered support throughout the Arab world.  Countries like Iran and North Korea found themselves ever more isolated and estranged from the rest of the world.  And that was a good thing.

Unfortunately, the next President screwed all of that up.  His rejection of the Bush policy led to a quadrupling of casualties in Afghanistan, a betrayal of our Arab allies, and an opportunity for our enemies to regroup.

Of course none of this takes away from the need to protect ourselves through security of the homeland (see 9/11) which makes up a large amount of that cost.

It is disingenuous to completely ignore 9/11 and the mood of the country shortly afterwards while criticizing the pro-active actions that has kept us safe ever since.

Who's winning....?

In 2008, it was clear to everyone that we were winning decisively.  The resistance in Iraq had ended.  We had a minimal force in Afghanistan with very low casualties that was preventing another terrorist entity from taking control of that government.  We had previous sponsors of terrorism like Yemen and Libya disavow their former practices and turn over their notes and stockpiles to the US.  And we had pro-freedom pro-democracy movements rising up in the rest of the Arab world, but even more importantly, Iran, all ready to follow the Iraqi example.  But then Obama happened.  In the next 8 years, he was able to destroy every bit of good will that had been planted.  Not only was the previous investment completely wasted, but he continued to spend at levels that exceeded the Bush years.

Now with Trump in office, it is a mixed bag.  Is he willing to push through the long haul?  No.  But is he decisive enough to respond to any terrorist BS that threatens us?  Absolutely.  So in that regard, there isn't a country left that is willing to try some 9/11 magnitude event.  And that is because we have demonstrated that we are at war against that type of behavior.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-