State Chapters > State Politics/Government

GOP senators rebuke Trump for using 'Wounded Knee' as 'punchline'

(1/1)

corbe:
GOP senators rebuke Trump for using 'Wounded Knee' as 'punchline'

By Jordain Carney - 01/14/19 09:05 PM EST 

Two GOP senators from South Dakota on Monday said that President Trump should avoid referencing the "Wounded Knee" massacre as part of his attacks targeting political opponents.

Sen. Mike Rounds (R-S.D.), in a string of tweets, said that Trump should go with him to visit tribal lands in South Dakota, where the 1890 massacre took place, adding that the country should "mend our history through reconciliation [and] mutual respect."

"The Wounded Knee Massacre was one of the darkest moments in our history. It should never be used as a punchline," Rounds said on Monday.

Asked about Trump's comments, Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.), the No. 2 Senate Republican, separately told reporters that he wished Trump "wouldn’t do that."

<..snip..>

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/425339-gop-senators-rebuke-trump-for-using-wounded-knee-as-punchline

corbe:
   It's from the 'Pravda of the West' The Hill, so I thought I'd bury (no pun intended) it here.

TomSea:
There's just so many ____hole or "wounded knee" remarks some people will take.  Smarten up Trump, I don't know if he means this, it's still better than the opposition meaning the Democrats but it's weak all the same.

Wingnut:
If they can tell Custer jokes I'm down with a few Trail of tears jokes on my wounded knees.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version