Author Topic: House to vote on punishing Steve King  (Read 4913 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: House to vote on punishing Steve King
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2019, 06:40:44 pm »
Could not agree more @skeeter   We are going down a dangerous road if we sanction our own for making perfectly reasonable (though maybe not PC) comments.

I am furious at Republicans for their reaction.  They should have supported King and compared his comment to some of the really outrageous things said, and applauded, by leftist pols.

If this had been the first bone-headed, obnoxious thing King had ever said I would agree with that.

Offline corbe

« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2019, 06:52:14 pm »
    A bit dated.

Is Steve King too toxic for Trump?

Caitlin Dickson
Reporter

Yahoo News  November 03, 2018

Disavowed by the National Republican Congressional Committee and abandoned by several of his corporate donors for racist rhetoric and ties to far right extremists, embattled Iowa Rep. Steve King seemed to be grasping for support last week as he struggled to get his reelection campaign on track ahead of Tuesday’s election.

On Twitter Wednesday, King shared tweets of support from Texas Rep. Louie Gohmert and Ralph Norman, a Republican candidate for the House of Representatives from South Carolina. In an interview with Bloomberg News, King said he’d also received a supportive call from Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas. In response to questions from reporters, Cruz called King’s rhetoric “disappointing” but declined to condemn the congressman, a key backer of Cruz’s 2016 presidential bid. Cruz’s campaign spokeswoman told Bloomberg that the call to King was “personal” and that “Sen. Cruz told him the same thing he said to reporters.”

After running a bare-bones campaign, King participated in a candidate forum in Des Moines, Iowa, Thursday that went off the rails when he lashed out at a member of the public who asked whether King shared the same ideology as the man charged with killing 11 people at a synagogue in Pittsburgh last weekend.

<..snip..>

Trump had supported King as far back as 2014, before his own entry into national politics. But King had not returned the favor; in the 2016 campaign he backed Cruz, describing him as “the constitutional conservative that can restore the soul of America.” With King’s support, Cruz beat Trump in the 2016 Iowa caucus, almost derailing Trump at the very start of the primaries.

https://news.yahoo.com/steve-king-toxic-trump-005816716.html
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2019, 06:57:26 pm »
If this had been the first bone-headed, obnoxious thing King had ever said I would agree with that.

Okay, I may have jumped on the King bandwagon early and I do think he was stupid to agree to a gotcha interview but I found nothing obnoxious about his remarks in the interview.

They were just shocking because we're not allowed to say those things anymore.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2019, 07:01:05 pm »
    A bit dated.

Is Steve King too toxic for Trump?

Caitlin Dickson
Reporter

Yahoo News  November 03, 2018

Disavowed by the National Republican Congressional Committee and abandoned by several of his corporate donors for racist rhetoric and ties to far right extremists, embattled Iowa Rep. Steve King seemed to be grasping for support last week as he struggled to get his reelection campaign on track ahead of Tuesday’s election.

On Twitter Wednesday, King shared tweets of support from Texas Rep. Louie Gohmert and Ralph Norman, a Republican candidate for the House of Representatives from South Carolina. In an interview with Bloomberg News, King said he’d also received a supportive call from Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas. In response to questions from reporters, Cruz called King’s rhetoric “disappointing” but declined to condemn the congressman, a key backer of Cruz’s 2016 presidential bid. Cruz’s campaign spokeswoman told Bloomberg that the call to King was “personal” and that “Sen. Cruz told him the same thing he said to reporters.”

After running a bare-bones campaign, King participated in a candidate forum in Des Moines, Iowa, Thursday that went off the rails when he lashed out at a member of the public who asked whether King shared the same ideology as the man charged with killing 11 people at a synagogue in Pittsburgh last weekend.

<..snip..>

Trump had supported King as far back as 2014, before his own entry into national politics. But King had not returned the favor; in the 2016 campaign he backed Cruz, describing him as “the constitutional conservative that can restore the soul of America.” With King’s support, Cruz beat Trump in the 2016 Iowa caucus, almost derailing Trump at the very start of the primaries.

https://news.yahoo.com/steve-king-toxic-trump-005816716.html

Very interesting @corbe   Thanks for posting.  So King's support of Ted Cruz helped Ted win the Iowa caucus along with other things but Cruz called King stupid?

Who to trust?  Who to trust?

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2019, 07:03:30 pm »
This is the hill y'all are standing on?

A back-bench Congressman from Iowa with a chronic case of verbal diarrhea in regard to racial issues that dates back over a decade?

We've got to stand somewhere @jmyrlefuller   And I think we should be as protective of our side's verbal diarrhea as the Dems and media are of their sides.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2019, 07:09:39 pm »
Just for once lets use the "equality" metric.

Will either the bug eyed woman from the Bronx or Mz. unapologetic "Impeach the Motherf***er!" Muslim from Michigan get censured?
Will they be stripped of any assignments?

The increasing apologetic knee-jerk reaction to every feigned insult over Western (yes, Caucasian, too) Civilization (Yes, we built this!) being the superior form of human existence to this day will destroy not only this nation, but will propel humanity into a new dark age few here can imagine.

It was the tenets of that Western Civilization that brought about this country, our Constitution, and the entire American way of life--and has saved the rest of the world from worse, when it did not demand it.

Stop the backpedaling, whiny apologetic attitude for being what we are, WHO we are, and quit shredding our own every time the Leftists point a finger. If so many groups once considered sick, criminal, etc. can parade their 'pride', why in the hell can't we just make a few factual statements about the historical background of our Liberty?

IMHO, the only thing King did wrong was to give the NYT pickers an interview.  Those people are not friend to anyone to the Right of Karl Marx, nor an iota more virtuous than Satan himself. He could have spoken only of Jesus and puppies and they'd have found a way for someone to be offended.

Even more unforgivable is the persistent syndrome of throwing anyone the media peep about under the bus with the clamor to be the one to back over them again and again--not by the Libmedia, but by the supposed conservatives in Congress.

With such standard bearers and defenders of the faith, this Republic is doomed.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2019, 08:16:20 pm »
Very interesting @corbe   Thanks for posting.  So King's support of Ted Cruz helped Ted win the Iowa caucus along with other things but Cruz called King stupid?

Who to trust?  Who to trust?

No, Cruz said that what King said was stupid.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2019, 08:26:03 pm »

Will either the bug eyed woman from the Bronx or Mz. unapologetic "Impeach the Motherf***er!" Muslim from Michigan get censured?

The increasing apologetic knee-jerk reaction to every feigned insult over Western (yes, Caucasian, too) Civilization (Yes, we built this!) being the superior form of human existence to this day will destroy not only this nation, but will propel humanity into a new dark age few here can imagine.

It was the tenets of that Western Civilization that brought about this country, our Constitution, and the entire American way of life--and has saved the rest of the world from worse, when it did not demand it.

Stop the backpedaling, whiny apologetic attitude for being what we are, WHO we are, and quit shredding our own every time the Leftists point a finger. If so many groups once considered sick, criminal, etc. can parade their 'pride', why in the hell can't we just make a few factual statements about the historical background of our Liberty?

IMHO, the only thing King did wrong was to give the NYT pickers an interview.  Those people are not friend to anyone to the Right of Karl Marx, nor an iota more virtuous than Satan himself. He could have spoken only of Jesus and puppies and they'd have found a way for someone to be offended.

Even more unforgivable is the persistent syndrome of throwing anyone the media peep about under the bus with the clamor to be the one to back over them again and again--not by the Libmedia, but by the supposed conservatives in Congress.

As usual the state and its toads aren't being entirely honest about their motives. It should be clear by now that there's something more at play in these situations than justice and equality.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 08:27:03 pm by skeeter »

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2019, 08:48:07 pm »

Total amen to all you said @Smokin Joe   You said all that I've been thinking and said it better.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2019, 08:54:26 pm »
I believe the powers that be have decided it's a good thing to have a daily thread devoted to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.

She is the current media darling and a total nutcase and I don't believe we should be wasting our time with her.  She is a fad and a terminally stupid one, but she is a good illustration of what we will tolerate and what we won't.

The right is shooting itself in the foot by going along with all the political correctness and failing to stand by one of their own who is an intelligent man who makes decent points.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2019, 09:48:06 pm »
What a bunch of bull!! He didn't make this comment directed at anyone. This is just wrong, wrong, wrong.

I met and talked with Steve King back in the political days when he was helping to stump for Fred Thompson. He's like every other conservative - tired of the PC crap and the constant need for white apology.

Now that I read the full context of his statement, they're obviously out to get him. They never have liked him because he is too much of a firebrand.

Meanwhile, far worse inflammatory statements are made on the other side nearly every day with no consequence.
The Republic is lost.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2019, 10:51:53 pm »
Ordinary regular Americans (un-hyphenated Americans) are sick and tired of reverse discrimination tolerated under the mantle of racial justice. Liberal government determined some time ago to put its thumb on the scales and that is just plain wrong.

I was born in Italy but I have never thought to call myself an Italian-American – I’m an American. And I’ve got naturalization papers to show for it.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2019, 10:54:24 pm »

Yeah but they are screwing him like a tied up goat.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2019, 10:57:27 pm »
Yeah but they are screwing him like a tied up goat.

LOL. You must be a howl at dinner parties.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2019, 10:59:09 pm »
LOL. You must be a howl at dinner parties.

I'm mildly amusing!   :beer:

Offline aligncare

« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2019, 11:03:33 pm »
I'm mildly amusing!   :beer:

Noël Coward, was mildly amusing. You, are a hoot!  :beer:

Online Wingnut

« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2019, 11:18:42 pm »
Noël Coward, was mildly amusing. You, are a hoot!  :beer:
Last night Mod 8 would have disagreed with you!   888mouth

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2019, 11:37:16 pm »
If King gets no Committee assignments, then he will have plenty of time to sit on the floor of the house and object to anything and everything to be a thorn in their sides. Force the parliamentary process to grind to a halt.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2019, 02:04:04 am »
Smokin' Joe wrote:
"The increasing apologetic knee-jerk reaction to every feigned insult over Western (yes, Caucasian, too) Civilization (Yes, we built this!) being the superior form of human existence to this day will destroy not only this nation, but will propel humanity into a new dark age few here can imagine."

Worth repeating.
There are some publications that have been saying this for years, but even the mention of them by name here would initiate the vapors in some members.

"White nationalism"?
Hey, I'm kind of a "nationalist" for the USA, and I happen to be... white.
So.... what?

"White supremacy"?
If there is any race that can claim "supremacy" based on IQ, it's the Asians, not the whites.
And Ashkenazi Jews have the highest IQ of all, as an ethnic group.

The "supremacy" of Western Civilization?
Of course.
Do you really believe otherwise?
If so, what are you doing in this forum?

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2019, 02:11:01 am »
Everyone....regardless of race can choose to belong to Western Civilization and enjoy the fruits thereof.