Author Topic: Trump and GOP taking messaging hit on shutdown  (Read 2159 times)

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Re: Trump and GOP taking messaging hit on shutdown
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2019, 02:16:14 am »
New polls indicate that people are civic idiots.  We are STILL waiting on Step One:  The Democrat-controlled House to pass a spending bill.  Once that happens, the Senate can take up the bill.  If they pass it, the President can sign it.  But the Senate and President can't do squat until AFTER the House passes a bill, which they have not done.

This one is 100% on the Democrats, who are currently fun and sunning it in Puerto Rico while their most loyal supporters queue up in the outside code for a food bank photo-op.

The Republican controlled House passed a bill.  The Republican controlled Senate didn't. 

I can't put this on the Dems.  The Reps had two years to do pretty much their one job.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2019, 02:59:18 am »
The Republican controlled House passed a bill.  The Republican controlled Senate didn't. 

I can't put this on the Dems.  The Reps had two years to do pretty much their one job.

The bill that the Republican House passed became null and void the day the new House was seated.  And it was Chuck Schumer who prevented a Senate vote for that bill with his 60-vote threshold.

Forget the wall for a moment.  There was a funding bill that both parties agreed to that expired around Christmas.  With the previous congress, the vote to extend funding falls squarely upon Schumer.  With the current Congress, the process starts all over again.  Which means that the House has to pass it first.  And that ain't happening.  So I am not seeing how it is the Republicans fault that Nancy is stonewalling here.

Believe me, I agree wholeheartedly that the Republicans should have been playing hardball from Day One in 2011 and should have passed a straight budget each year with a finite debt ceiling.  But that doesn't change the fact that the government is not being funded because first Senate Democrats blocked a spending bill passed by the House, and now a Democrat House refuses to pass a new bill.

The only one completely out of the loop in all of this is President Trump.  Yet he is the one wrongly shouldering all the blame.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online libertybele

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2019, 03:15:30 am »
The bill that the Republican House passed became null and void the day the new House was seated.  And it was Chuck Schumer who prevented a Senate vote for that bill with his 60-vote threshold.

Forget the wall for a moment.  There was a funding bill that both parties agreed to that expired around Christmas.  With the previous congress, the vote to extend funding falls squarely upon Schumer.  With the current Congress, the process starts all over again.  Which means that the House has to pass it first.  And that ain't happening.  So I am not seeing how it is the Republicans fault that Nancy is stonewalling here.

Believe me, I agree wholeheartedly that the Republicans should have been playing hardball from Day One in 2011 and should have passed a straight budget each year with a finite debt ceiling.  But that doesn't change the fact that the government is not being funded because first Senate Democrats blocked a spending bill passed by the House, and now a Democrat House refuses to pass a new bill.

The only one completely out of the loop in all of this is President Trump.  Yet he is the one wrongly shouldering all the blame.

Nope, can't give the Pres. a free pass on this ... he should have been playing hardball since day one ... he played footsie with Ryan when he should have been chumming up to the Freedom Caucus.  Lyin' Ryan FAILED on Bammycare and the budget the first go around. 

I blame Both parties and the President on this issue.  His back is up against a wall and now he's going to act.  The ONLY option he has is to declare a National Emergency.  Pelosi and Chuckie have absolutely no reason to budge.  None.  It is to their advantage and the DEM Party not to budge.  Trump gets his wall  he will no doubt win in 2020 should he run for re-election.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.