Author Topic: Federal employees showing up to food banks in the hundreds as shutdown enters fourth week: report  (Read 2542 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Federal employees showing up to food banks in the hundreds as shutdown enters fourth week: report
By Avery Anapol - 01/13/19 12:49 PM EST

Federal employees affected by the government shutdown are reportedly turning to local food banks to get through the ongoing funding lapse, which is headed into its fourth week.

The Capital Area Food Bank, D.C.’s largest food aid group, organized five pop-up food distribution centers for government employees in recent days.

About 200 people showed up to one of the centers on Saturday to pick up bags of produce and canned foods, according to NPR. Over the weekend, the Capital Area Food Bank gave away 30,000 pounds in fresh produce.

Some 800,000 federal workers are furloughed or working without pay during the partial government shutdown, which was triggered by President Trump’s request for over $5 billion in funding for a border wall with Mexico. Democrats have refused to include border wall money in a bill to fund the government.

more
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/425108-federal-employees-showing-up-to-food-banks-in-the-hundreds-as
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mountaineer

This is pathetic. They finallly missed a paycheck, but they had absolutely nothing in their checking accounts (let alone savings) and nothing in the pantry?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mountaineer

terry schappert   @terryschappert
6h6 hours ago

Do government workers have empathy for private businesses that get shut down directly or indirectly due to their policy making and regulation enforcement?
I'm just curious why "putting food on the table", according to the media, is more important for that group than the other.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

OR... Federal employees not showing up to food banks in the hundreds of thousands.

Seriously, is it really surprising that one out of every four thousand federal employees would show up for free anything, whether they need it or not?

[Edit:  It's even less than that if they are not checking to make sure these are actually employees, and employees who are temporarily out of "work"]
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 07:30:08 pm by InHeavenThereIsNoBeer »
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I feel sorry for some of these federal employees..not all make 100k in idiotic jobs...most in DC are cafeteria workers, store clerks in Gov bldgs.....most are low income jobs that live paycheck to paycheck and don't have a savings account...
Support the USO

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
This is pathetic. They finallly missed a paycheck, but they had absolutely nothing in their checking accounts (let alone savings) and nothing in the pantry?
All part of the dance. It's either a political statement, or really bad resource management.

Hopefully they get an inkling of how the other half lives (and an earful from them, too).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Absalom

A wise man would ask, "What critical functions have been damaged by this shutdown???"
If the answer is none, then reply; "Therefore these people are unnecessary and will be terminated!"
Sadly, wise men are as common as unicorns.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
A wise man would ask, "What critical functions have been damaged by this shutdown???"
If the answer is none, then reply; "Therefore these people are unnecessary and will be terminated!"
Sadly, wise men are as common as unicorns.
I have been asking for years why we have 'nonessential' government workers.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Applewood

I have a young cousin who was just laid off from the Census Bureau.  So I asked his mother how he and his young family are faring during this shutdown.  She told me that when her son took this job, his father, who is retired from government service, advised him early on to put some money aside for the proverbial rainy day.  The father  had gone through a couple of furloughs and missed paychecks himself.  Apparently, the son heeded his father's advice because his mother says he and his family are ok financially at least for now.  I'm sure if they do need help, his parents or his wife's parents are ready to help. 

I read sometime ago that the younger generation isn't saving money like those from the Greatest Generation and their offspring have done.  My parents went through the Great Depression.  They learned to make do with what they had in tough times and in good times, put money aside for emergencies.  They passed their money habits onto my brother and me.  I think the young ones are being taught, probably in public schools, that the government will always provide for them.  They are going to be up the proverbial creek without the proverbial paddle one day -- if not now, sometime in the future -- like when they want to retire and SS is gone. 

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
I feel sorry for some of these federal employees..not all make 100k in idiotic jobs...most in DC are cafeteria workers, store clerks in Gov bldgs.....most are low income jobs that live paycheck to paycheck and don't have a savings account...

Pay scale for the area around DC. The cost of living makes it very expensive.

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/salaries-wages/salary-tables/pdf/2019/DCB.pdf
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I have a young cousin who was just laid off from the Census Bureau.  So I asked his mother how he and his young family are faring during this shutdown.  She told me that when her son took this job, his father, who is retired from government service, advised him early on to put some money aside for the proverbial rainy day.  The father  had gone through a couple of furloughs and missed paychecks himself.  Apparently, the son heeded his father's advice because his mother says he and his family are ok financially at least for now.  I'm sure if they do need help, his parents or his wife's parents are ready to help. 

I read sometime ago that the younger generation isn't saving money like those from the Greatest Generation and their offspring have done.  My parents went through the Great Depression.  They learned to make do with what they had in tough times and in good times, put money aside for emergencies.  They passed their money habits onto my brother and me.  I think the young ones are being taught, probably in public schools, that the government will always provide for them.  They are going to be up the proverbial creek without the proverbial paddle one day -- if not now, sometime in the future -- like when they want to retire and SS is gone.

My father always preached living within your means.  For many people, it's a lot easier said than done. Credit cards, loans, savings, and even emergency funds allow you to buy more things than your income would allow. I remember in the late 80's, after a couple of layoffs, it finally hit home that my Dad was right.  From then on my wife agreed we would only live like we had one income.  That was when we started to save for the future.   
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL

I'm disappointed by some of the lack of empathy for the poor Americans being impacted by this. That said, I still support the shutdown.

The left will cave soon.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I'm disappointed by some of the lack of empathy for the poor Americans being impacted by this.

Why don't volunteer at a food bank.  Make a donation. Get out of your parents basement and make your mark for goodness and generosity  that could help you get to heaven.

Offline corbe

They've tightened the standards since Trump was elected, I doubt the 3 of us have a snowball chance in h3ll of getting there, eventually.
@Dexter @The Ghost
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Wingnut

They've tightened the standards since Trump was elected, I doubt the 3 of us have a snowball chance in h3ll of getting there, eventually.
@Dexter @The Ghost

@corbe  Hey, my mind is not for rent to any God, or government.

Offline Hoodat

I have a young cousin who was just laid off from the Census Bureau.

Just curious.  Since they take a census once every ten years, what do census workers do the other nine?

They are going to be up the proverbial creek without the proverbial paddle one day -- if not now, sometime in the future -- like when they want to retire and SS is gone.

Young people are cynical.  They know full well that there won't be any SS when they retire, yet they are still forced to pay money into it that they could be saving for themselves instead.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online mountaineer

Just curious.  Since they take a census once every ten years, what do census workers do the other nine?
I'm not sure they do anything during the census year. Last time, Mr. M and I never got counted.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer

Make projections on population to determine how federal spending is apportioned.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online mountaineer

Make projections on population to determine how federal spending is apportioned.
Not all of them. During census years, they hire a lot of temps. It would be interesting to see how many census employees are fulltime, every year.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

I'm not sure they do anything during the census year. Last time, Mr. M and I never got counted.

They do.  I was on a contract there during one.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline dfwgator

You're always hopeful yet discontent

Offline Wingnut

You're always hopeful yet discontent

@dfwgator   I know changes aren't permanent, but change is.

Offline Hoodat

Always hopeful, yet discontent?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online kevindavis007

Exaclty....
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/