Author Topic: Two shale plays moving out of Permian’s shadow  (Read 1267 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Two shale plays moving out of Permian’s shadow
« on: January 12, 2019, 07:12:51 pm »
Houston Chronicle by  Jordan Blum Jan. 11, 2019

Permian, schmermian.

While the reborn Permian Basin in West Texas has so overshadowed every other oil and gas field in the country that analysts invented a new word — Permania — to explain the phenomenon, two other shale plays, each straddling the Texas border, are experiencing their own rebirth, according to reports released Friday.

Oklahoma's Anadarko Basin, which extends into the Texas Panhandle, may emerge as the most prolific onshore oil and gas play outside of the Permian, according to a study by the global research and accounting firm, IHS Markit. On the other side of the state, the Haynesville shale has roared back to life due to higher natural gas prices and liquefied natural gas export terminals coming online along the Gulf Coast, the Norwegian research firm Rystad reported.

Billions of barrels

IHS Markit estimates that the Greater Anadarko Basin still holds an estimated 16 billion barrels of oil and more than 200 trillion cubic feet of natural gas. The region previously boomed in the 1970s and into the 1980s, but modern horizontal drilling techniques coupled with hydraulic fracturing, called fracking, are pushing Oklahoma to new oil production records.

The majority of the activity in the basin is focused on the shale rock plays known as the SCOOP - South Central Oklahoma Oil Province - and STACK - Sooner Trend Anadarko Canadian and Kingfisher (counties) - plays.

Oklahoma is now a distant second to Texas in the number of rigs actively drilling with 140, above third-place New Mexico's 105 rigs. Texas has more than 500 rigs in operation, according to the Houston oilfield services company Baker Hughes.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/energy/article/Two-shale-plays-moving-out-of-Permian-s-shadow-13527874.php

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Two shale plays moving out of Permian’s shadow
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 07:31:48 pm »
Article has several misconceptions about the Permian.

First, it is a basin, not a play or a field.  A field is a place within a basin that has hydrocarbons collected in a discrete area.  A basin is a discrete hydrocarbon-generating area that can produce numbers of fields.  To be really accurate, even the Permian basin is incorrect as it encompasses several hyrdrocarbon-generating basins.

Secondly, most of the Permian's recent drilling is not unconventional drilling at all like in the Eagleford or the Bakken.  It is turning a basin that has traditionally been developed with vertical wells into a horizontal development.  It is mostly conventional in nature.

SCOOP on the other hand is a real unconventional play.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 08:30:20 pm »
Article has several misconceptions about the Permian.

First, it is a basin, not a play or a field.  A field is a place within a basin that has hydrocarbons collected in a discrete area.  A basin is a discrete hydrocarbon-generating area that can produce numbers of fields.  To be really accurate, even the Permian basin is incorrect as it encompasses several hyrdrocarbon-generating basins.

Secondly, most of the Permian's recent drilling is not unconventional drilling at all like in the Eagleford or the Bakken.  It is turning a basin that has traditionally been developed with vertical wells into a horizontal development.  It is mostly conventional in nature.

SCOOP on the other hand is a real unconventional play.
Not disagreeing about the separate Basins in the Permian Basin (Delaware and Midland Basins), but when the term 'unconventional resource' came out, it applied more to the formation, including tight reservoirs over widespread areas, with oil accumulation not limited by structural controls--(even though the best wells still tend to fall into a specific hot zone, which often is structurally controlled, although that may be as much from well developed fractures (joint sets) as the structural high.

I'm not so familiar with the Permian Basin as to know whether the Wolfcamp falls into that category or not. (Feel free to educate me, I'm always up to learning something new.)

Especially, oil resources like the Bakken and Three Forks formations, which had only limited production from vertical wells, but well developed oil shows in large areas of the Williston Basin which persisted in wells which covered much of the basin. The source rock(s) are there, the upper and lower Bakken Shales, but the reservoirs, aside from fractures, are the tight layers of the upper Middle Bakken and the tight dolomite and clastics of the upper Three Forks.

The SEG defines an unconventional reservoir as "one in which the oil or gas has not significantly migrated from the source rock", where in a conventional reservoir the oil commonly migrates in porous rock to structural highs and is contained by permeability barriers (overlying formations) or cap rock. 

It really is about as important as discussing how many angels can dance on the head of a pin at this point, but where I'd draw the line is the unconventionals are those formations that require special methods (no matter how common those are now) other than drilling and completing a vertical well to produce economically.

The reality is that nowadays, almost all operators are looking for the benefits of tapping reservoirs using horizontal wells. In the 4 basins I have worked in the past ten years, for instance, only one well was mostly vertical. The rest were either horizontal wells or high angle directional wells. All of that would have been considered "unconventional" back when we drilled the early Bakken wells in 2000.

The use of horizontal drilling and hydraulic fracturing are just the most effective means of producing those plays, ones which would likely not be economic with conventional vertical wells.

Those waters have been muddied considerably with the input from the 'renewable' resource bunch who claim their methods are 'unconventional', too, even though windmills have been in use for centuries.  :shrug:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 05:36:30 am »
Not disagreeing about the separate Basins in the Permian Basin (Delaware and Midland Basins), but when the term 'unconventional resource' came out, it applied more to the formation, including tight reservoirs over widespread areas, with oil accumulation not limited by structural controls--(even though the best wells still tend to fall into a specific hot zone, which often is structurally controlled, although that may be as much from well developed fractures (joint sets) as the structural high.

I'm not so familiar with the Permian Basin as to know whether the Wolfcamp falls into that category or not. (Feel free to educate me, I'm always up to learning something new.)

Especially, oil resources like the Bakken and Three Forks formations, which had only limited production from vertical wells, but well developed oil shows in large areas of the Williston Basin which persisted in wells which covered much of the basin. The source rock(s) are there, the upper and lower Bakken Shales, but the reservoirs, aside from fractures, are the tight layers of the upper Middle Bakken and the tight dolomite and clastics of the upper Three Forks.

The SEG defines an unconventional reservoir as "one in which the oil or gas has not significantly migrated from the source rock", where in a conventional reservoir the oil commonly migrates in porous rock to structural highs and is contained by permeability barriers (overlying formations) or cap rock. 

It really is about as important as discussing how many angels can dance on the head of a pin at this point, but where I'd draw the line is the unconventionals are those formations that require special methods (no matter how common those are now) other than drilling and completing a vertical well to produce economically.

The reality is that nowadays, almost all operators are looking for the benefits of tapping reservoirs using horizontal wells. In the 4 basins I have worked in the past ten years, for instance, only one well was mostly vertical. The rest were either horizontal wells or high angle directional wells. All of that would have been considered "unconventional" back when we drilled the early Bakken wells in 2000.

The use of horizontal drilling and hydraulic fracturing are just the most effective means of producing those plays, ones which would likely not be economic with conventional vertical wells.

Those waters have been muddied considerably with the input from the 'renewable' resource bunch who claim their methods are 'unconventional', too, even though windmills have been in use for centuries.  :shrug:
I can agree with those assessments on what constitutes an unconventional resource.  The point I was trying to make was that most of what is being drilled in the Permian presently has been produced by vertical wells and mostly developed that way.  Pockets within a formation of the Wolfcamp say, at least.

These formations are now being developed horizontally, which opens up a lot more area to be developed as more can be declared commercial with that technique.

Contrast that with the Bakken formation or the Eagleford.  Historically, virtually none of these formations could be exploited conventionally, by vertical wells.  It had to be horizontal wells with stage fracs.

I agree the water is muddied.  Geologically, it makes sense to describe it the way SEG has in that a conventional trap is not present so migration is minimal.

Maybe the way that is best to describe is to say it is simply crappy rock, period.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 09:04:58 am »
I can agree with those assessments on what constitutes an unconventional resource.  The point I was trying to make was that most of what is being drilled in the Permian presently has been produced by vertical wells and mostly developed that way.  Pockets within a formation of the Wolfcamp say, at least.

These formations are now being developed horizontally, which opens up a lot more area to be developed as more can be declared commercial with that technique.

Contrast that with the Bakken formation or the Eagleford.  Historically, virtually none of these formations could be exploited conventionally, by vertical wells.  It had to be horizontal wells with stage fracs.

I agree the water is muddied.  Geologically, it makes sense to describe it the way SEG has in that a conventional trap is not present so migration is minimal.

Maybe the way that is best to describe is to say it is simply crappy rock, period.
Oh, not so crappy. Just not so good as a vertical target.

The first Bakken well I worked was in 1980, a vertical well, and pure happenstance. The Fryburg and the Duperow were the targets, but we hit a fracture set on the Billings Nose in the Bakken and drilled the rest of the well underbalanced. When all was said and done, the e-logs were such a mess (fluid/gas invasion from knocking the bottom out and killing the kick), they shot 4 ft. of perfs in the middle Bakken based on my strip log, and made 560MCF and 70 bbls of condensate a day.

But for the most part, the Bakken was only a secondary target, shows were noted in the Bakken (and Three Forks) but only the Sanish (upper Three Forks) was exploited using vertical wells as a primary target, and then only in one small area of the basin, a field near New Town, ND. Otherwise, the Bakken might be perfed if the shows were really good, in hopes of getting a little more production on the way to a P&A. Some of those wells on the Nesson Anticline made 250K barrels from the Bakken, so if the shows were good, it was worth a shot.

In the mid 80s Burlington tried to do some laterals in the Bakken, but they targeted the shale, something which generally led to a host of hole problems. The shale sloughs readily, worse in some areas than others, and since then has become the part of the formation to avoid. On longer laterals, a shale strike is a "million dollar eff-up" costing roughly that much more to sidetrack the well open hole and abandon the part that got into the shale, otherwise, the production liner has only a very slim chance of getting to bottom.
I didn't get in on any of that work in the 80s, but few of those wells reached payout and that project was abandoned. I would guess (without looking at the data) that those wells got out of target and actually opened up some of the Middle Bakken.

Then Elm Coulee was found 1998/1999, and I was in very early on that, knowing what the first two operators were looking for, I found it in a vertical well for the Company I was doing work for, and told them (1999). We made another deeper discovery in that well (infield!), but came back and twinned the well with a horizontal well with a Bakken target (2000), and that started what turned out to be a 15 year run for me, describing well over 200 miles of Bakken samples, first in Montana, later in North Dakota--especially after the wells came in up by Stanley.

As a vertical target, you're right. The odds were against you. You had a better shot at hitting on a rank wildcat in Nevada (about 1 in 75) than you did of making a vertical well in the Bakken. It was the dozen other possibilities on the way to the Deadwood that were the main objectives, and only a half dozen of those were likely. But after, with horizontal drilling, that rock didn't look so crappy after all. With a good frac, it got downright pretty.

My only Wolfcamp experience is from running Mass Spec on one well (Midland Basin), more geochemistry than geology. With that data, we were able to identify permeability boundaries and reservoir compartments, even in fairly tight rock.

With enough data like that, perhaps specific beds within the formation can be identified so those reservoir pods can be better exploited, much like the laterals we were doing in the early 90s in the Ratcliffe in the Tioga Madison Unit. There, in carbonates, the reservoir pod were bound by anhydrite, but the situation is similar in that there are discrete reservoir lenses bound by impermeable rock,just that the lenses in the TMU could be produced vertically. Still those spacings had left an unreal amount of oil and gas which could not be reached, even on an 80 acre spacing. Up here, the Red River play in Bowman County, a little in the Nisku, and other horizontal wells kept my hand in between vertical wells until the Bakken became the big kid on the block.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 02:27:44 pm »
Oh, not so crappy. Just not so good as a vertical target.

The first Bakken well I worked was in 1980, a vertical well, and pure happenstance. The Fryburg and the Duperow were the targets, but we hit a fracture set on the Billings Nose in the Bakken and drilled the rest of the well underbalanced. When all was said and done, the e-logs were such a mess (fluid/gas invasion from knocking the bottom out and killing the kick), they shot 4 ft. of perfs in the middle Bakken based on my strip log, and made 560MCF and 70 bbls of condensate a day.

But for the most part, the Bakken was only a secondary target, shows were noted in the Bakken (and Three Forks) but only the Sanish (upper Three Forks) was exploited using vertical wells as a primary target, and then only in one small area of the basin, a field near New Town, ND. Otherwise, the Bakken might be perfed if the shows were really good, in hopes of getting a little more production on the way to a P&A. Some of those wells on the Nesson Anticline made 250K barrels from the Bakken, so if the shows were good, it was worth a shot.

In the mid 80s Burlington tried to do some laterals in the Bakken, but they targeted the shale, something which generally led to a host of hole problems. The shale sloughs readily, worse in some areas than others, and since then has become the part of the formation to avoid. On longer laterals, a shale strike is a "million dollar eff-up" costing roughly that much more to sidetrack the well open hole and abandon the part that got into the shale, otherwise, the production liner has only a very slim chance of getting to bottom.
I didn't get in on any of that work in the 80s, but few of those wells reached payout and that project was abandoned. I would guess (without looking at the data) that those wells got out of target and actually opened up some of the Middle Bakken.

Then Elm Coulee was found 1998/1999, and I was in very early on that, knowing what the first two operators were looking for, I found it in a vertical well for the Company I was doing work for, and told them (1999). We made another deeper discovery in that well (infield!), but came back and twinned the well with a horizontal well with a Bakken target (2000), and that started what turned out to be a 15 year run for me, describing well over 200 miles of Bakken samples, first in Montana, later in North Dakota--especially after the wells came in up by Stanley.

As a vertical target, you're right. The odds were against you. You had a better shot at hitting on a rank wildcat in Nevada (about 1 in 75) than you did of making a vertical well in the Bakken. It was the dozen other possibilities on the way to the Deadwood that were the main objectives, and only a half dozen of those were likely. But after, with horizontal drilling, that rock didn't look so crappy after all. With a good frac, it got downright pretty.

My only Wolfcamp experience is from running Mass Spec on one well (Midland Basin), more geochemistry than geology. With that data, we were able to identify permeability boundaries and reservoir compartments, even in fairly tight rock.

With enough data like that, perhaps specific beds within the formation can be identified so those reservoir pods can be better exploited, much like the laterals we were doing in the early 90s in the Ratcliffe in the Tioga Madison Unit. There, in carbonates, the reservoir pod were bound by anhydrite, but the situation is similar in that there are discrete reservoir lenses bound by impermeable rock,just that the lenses in the TMU could be produced vertically. Still those spacings had left an unreal amount of oil and gas which could not be reached, even on an 80 acre spacing. Up here, the Red River play in Bowman County, a little in the Nisku, and other horizontal wells kept my hand in between vertical wells until the Bakken became the big kid on the block.
You keep amazing me with the breadth of memory for times way back when.  I have a few stories, but the details have dimmed over time.

I enjoy hearing about the early Bakken history.  It was true wildcatting over a large area, multiple objectives, and a large range of results.