Author Topic: Why the Army should consider bringing back the Pathfinders  (Read 342 times)

rangerrebew

Why the Army should consider bringing back the Pathfinders
« on: January 12, 2019, 12:58:43 pm »
Why the Army should consider bringing back the Pathfinders

There's an old saying: "It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it." This perfectly sums up the role of the U.S. Army Pathfinders — that is, until Big Army cut sling load on them.

As of Feb. 24, 2017, the last Pathfinder company in the active duty United States Army, F Company, 2nd Assault Helicopter Battalion, 82nd Combat Aviation Brigade, cased their colors, putting an end to decades of highly trained soldiers quickly inserting themselves into hostile territory to secure sites for air support. Before that, the provisional pathfinder companies across the Army quietly cased their colors as well.

https://www.wearethemighty.com/military-culture/army-should-bring-back-pathfinders?rebelltitem=1#rebelltitem1
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 12:59:29 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Why the Army should consider bringing back the Pathfinders
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 08:12:51 pm »
The Pathfinder badge has to have been the coolest qualification badge,ever.

Even in the 60's the army considered it obsolete,and the only people that got to to to Pathfinder School were West Point graduates,or NCO's who re-enlisted with the understanding they would be sent to Pathfinder School.

I know because I tried to go in the mid-60's and the company SGM explained to me why I couldn't.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!