Author Topic: Build the Wall Go Fund Me Being Shut Down- Refunds Issued (was up to $20 Million)  (Read 1096 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
This is being shifted to a private donation site (with no guarantees) and they said they will 'build it themselves'. This is not Go Fund Me shutting it down but the founder.

Statement on the 'We The People Will Build the Wall' Go Fund Me Page (snipped from long paragraph).

This team has spent countless hours over the holidays reviewing all issues pertaining to the construction of a southern border wall. Unanimously, we have all come to the conclusion that:

-The federal government won’t be able to accept our donations anytime soon.

-We are better equipped than our own government to use the donated funds to build an actual wall on the southern border.

-Our highly experienced team is highly confident that we can complete significant segments of the wall in less time, and for far less money, than the federal government, while meeting or exceeding all required regulatory, engineering, and environmental specifications.

-Our team strongly believes that we can complete our segments of the wall for less than half of the government’s estimated costs on a per mile basis.

To show the government how “We the People” can get this done, we have formed a Section 501(c)(4) non-profit Florida Corporation named “We Build the Wall, Inc.” to receive the GoFundMe contributions. Our website can be found at www.webuildthewall.us....

.....You MUST tell GoFundMe you still want to Build the Wall or your contribution will not be included in this historic project.

If you want a refund for your donation, no need to do anything. You will receive your refund a few weeks after the 90 days expires and GoFundMe will notify you once your refund has processed. If you would prefer a refund now, you can request that here.....

https://www.gofundme.com/thetrumpwall?fbclid=IwAR3vszsfttYbC-28DjOydCc6qkccpcRcv9DAjB2FcmVmTcKqhHkMBufEXEE

Offline ABX

One thing that may be a concern to donors is that by moving this to his own private donation site, there is no guarantee of how the funds would be used nor any recourse with a third party for refunds if terms aren't met (like Go Fund Me offers)

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
One thing that may be a concern to donors is that by moving this to his own private donation site, there is no guarantee of how the funds would be used nor any recourse with a third party for refunds if terms aren't met (like Go Fund Me offers)

It certainly would be ripe for fraud.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline ABX

And to clarify again because of people reacting on social media- Go Fund Me isn't the one shutting this down- the people who started it are. GFM is being attacked like they are doing this.

Offline ABX

Offline Hoodat

And if instead the government got the money, there would be such a guarantee?  Heck, they can't even guarantee what happens to my social security taxes much less all those phone taxes I paid over the years to pay for the Spanish-American War.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline ABX

And if instead the government got the money, there would be such a guarantee?  Heck, they can't even guarantee what happens to my social security taxes much less all those phone taxes I paid over the years to pay for the Spanish-American War.

Absolutely none.

But see the related link.. apparently the guy who started this has a history of starting other fundraisers and then never giving the money to the party he was raising funds for.