Author Topic: No to an Emergency  (Read 356 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
No to an Emergency
« on: January 11, 2019, 12:57:13 am »
The Editors
National Review
January 10, 2019

President Trump says he is considering declaring an emergency at the border to unlock military funds to build a fence (a.k.a. wall).

It’s not clear how serious he is, although anonymous White House aides have been quoted saying they believe this will be his ultimate way out of the shutdown fight.

It’s a terrible idea. Even if it’s legal — which is unclear, at best — it would represent another unwelcome step in America’s long march toward unilateral government by the executive.

The problem isn’t declaring an emergency. There is ample authority to do that and we live under a couple of dozen little-noticed declarations of emergency that have accumulated over the decades. The issue is redirecting military funds to the border fence. That would require a strained interpretation that treats the border fence as a military matter, among other legal gymnastics.

More

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: No to an Emergency
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 01:20:22 am »
Consider the source of this article...

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: No to an Emergency
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 01:29:40 am »
Everybody is entitled to be wrong sometimes and the people wrote this bilge certainly are!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien