Author Topic: Oxford University students demand sacking of top Catholic professor over ‘homophobic’ essays  (Read 553 times)

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
STUDENTS at Oxford University have demanded that a Roman Catholic professor be sacked for allegedly denouncing homosexuality in his writings.

At least 350 backers signed a petition calling for law professor John Finnis to be fired, citing a "a long record of extremely discriminatory views against many groups of disadvantaged people" including the gay community.

However, Oxford has rejected the students' petition and supported the 78-year-old's right to academic freedom.

Prof Finnis, who teaches as emeritus professor of law and legal philosophy at University College, responded to the petition by claiming there was "not a 'phobic' sentence" in all of his published works.
He told The Oxford Student newspaper: "The petition travesties my position, and my testimony in American constitutional litigation.
"Anyone who consults the Law Faculty website and follows the links in the petition can see the petition's many errors.

"I stand by all these writings. There is not a 'phobic' sentence in them."

Professor Finnis is one of the world’s foremost thinkers on the philosophy of natural law and once mentored right-wing US judge Neil Gorsuch, who was appointed to the US Supreme Court by President Donald Trump in 2017.

https://www.irishpost.com/news/oxford-university-students-demand-sacking-top-catholic-professor-homophobic-essays-163248

"I'm only surprised that it has taken so long for a group of students at Oxford to decide that John Finnis -- one of the giants of legal philosophy in the late 20th century -- should be banished for wrongthink"
-Keith Whittington
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 07:22:39 pm by The Ghost »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
groups of disadvantaged people" including the gay community.

Isn't calling them disadvantaged a form of discrimination and disapproval?

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Isn't calling them disadvantaged a form of discrimination and disapproval?

Good point.  Looks like the petition crafters need to be "sacked"

Online Wingnut

The rage against John Finnis

Unfortunately, last week an unpleasant campaign hit Oxford University, and took aim at a professor for his academic work. John Finnis, emeritus professor of law and legal philosophy at University College, is the subject of a petition, signed (at time of writing) by over 400 people, demanding his removal. Why? Because in his previous writings he has argued against the morality of gay sex, gay adoption and mass immigration, views deemed by the petitioners as ‘hateful’ and ‘discriminatory’.

Finnis has defended his writings, telling the Oxford Student that ‘there is not a “phobic” sentence in them’. A Catholic convert, he describes his work on gay sex, the focus of the protests, as offering a ‘classical and strictly philosophical moral critique of all non-marital sex acts’.

These writings were not the work of some Bible Belt pamphleteer, they were tightly reasoned and meticulously constructed, whatever you think of the content of the views expressed. But the fact Finnis ever made these arguments at all should, according to the protesters, be enough to sack him.

These attacks are a misguided denigration of an eminent scholar. Reasoned criticism of certain sexual behaviours from a religious point of view is not the same thing as promoting hatred of the people who engage in them, nor evidence of any discriminatory attitude – if by discrimination we mean treating one person worse for no other reason than that they are different. Nor is taking a reasoned look at the effects of immigration in any sense xenophobic.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/01/10/the-rage-against-john-finnis/

Offline Absalom

Well meaning Conservatives often get lost in the weeds
when challenging idiotic and subversive blather such as this.
Put directly and simply:
* The Family Unit is the bedrock/foundation of the social order,
culture and ultimately the essence of the nation/state.
* Any attitude, behavior, impulse or sentiment, such as homosexuality
that harms the Family Unit is anathema; to be condemned and eradicated.
End of excuses, pious platitudes and sanctimonious horse manure!!!!!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 04:44:59 am by Absalom »