Author Topic: Nancy Pelosi Backs DC Statehood Bill To Combat ‘GOP’s Mass Disenfranchisement Agenda’  (Read 662 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Nancy Pelosi Backs DC Statehood Bill To Combat ‘GOP’s Mass Disenfranchisement Agenda’
Daily Caller, Jan 7, 2019, Helen Lyons

WASHINGTON, D.C. — The District of Columbia is making yet another bid for statehood in 2019 — this time with the support of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who is tying the long-debated issue to voter suppression.

D.C. Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton has introduced a bill calling for some version of D.C. statehood every term she’s served, but none of the bills has ever managed to land before the president. Now, with the backing of Pelosi and House leadership, supporters of the measure are more hopeful.

The bill has 155 co-sponsors, all of whom are Democrats. While Pelosi cites the Constitution as the basis for D.C. statehood, however, others say it’s the Constitution that explicitly prohibits it.

“Congress has limited and enumerated powers,” explained Roger Pilon, director emeritus of the Cato Institute’s Center for Constitutional Studies, which he founded it in 1989. He called the D.C. statehood movement a fool’s errand. “The power to do what is proposed here is not among Congress’ enumerated and limited powers. Just because something might be good doesn’t mean that Congress has the power to do it.”

More:  https://dailycaller.com/2019/01/07/pelosi-backs-dc-statehood-bill/

Offline Right_in_Virginia

They never give up. 

Offline godblessRonaldReagan

• It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
Simple solution - cede the District of Columbia back to Maryland except for the few blocks where the Federal government is centered. Of course that won't give the Dems two more senators for eternity, so it's a non-starter.

Even better, decentralize the gov't and move it out of DC except for Congress and the White House, but that's another topic.
I, for one, welcome our feline overlords

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
We don'r need another welfare state.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Applewood

We don'r need another welfare state.

Sure, we do.  In fact, why don't we also grant statehood to that other welfare state, Puerto Rico?   *****rollingeyes*****

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Just in case someone failed to notice, Nancy Pelosi is a Communist apparatchik and always has been!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien