Author Topic: Gabon Says Coup Attempt Is 'Under Control' After Soldiers Seized Radio Station  (Read 261 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Gabon. 2000,000 people, oil rich and possibly Africa's 4th wealthiest country, this is the same place we just sent troops to, 2-3 days ago in case Americans need aid if things get bad in DR Congo.... so, this is close to the first time I have heard a news story of this place and then, they just had what appears to be a failed coup in the past 12-18 hours.  I even watched the coup-plotters radio speech announcing their takeover, again, repeating, it apparently was put down.

Gabon Says Coup Attempt Is 'Under Control' After Soldiers Seized Radio Station
January 7, 20198:48 AM ET
Bill Chappell

A still image taken from a video posted on Jan. 7, shows a military officer who identified himself as Lt. Kelly Ondo Obiang giving a statement from a radio station in Libreville, Gabon. In it, he urged citizens to take control of the streets to support a coup.
Reuters

Gabon says it has put down an apparent coup attempt, after armed soldiers seized a state radio station early Monday morning and broadcast a statement saying the nation was under their control, and that a new leader would be chosen.

But within hours, government spokesman Guy-Bertrand Mapangou announced the coup had failed, saying, "The situation is under control."

In an interview with French broadcaster RFI, Mapangou said several leaders of the attempted coup had been arrested.

Sorry...

Read more at: https://www.npr.org/2019/01/07/682847934/gabon-says-coup-attempt-is-under-control-after-soldiers-seized-radio-station

BBC has a full story. Apparently the dictator Bongo even recorded some James Brown styled music.

Sorry...

Who Is Ali Bongo: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-46074728

They let US troops in there, I'm not so sure about him though. Probably a despot.

So 2 news stories on this place in the past 48 hours when it is hardly ever in the news.