Author Topic: How Millennials Became The Burnout Generation  (Read 1775 times)

Offline Frank Cannon

How Millennials Became The Burnout Generation
« on: January 06, 2019, 11:26:00 pm »
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/annehelenpetersen/millennials-burnout-generation-debt-work

“I tried to register for the 2016 election, but it was beyond the deadline by the time I tried to do it,” a man named Tim, age 27, explained to New York magazine last fall. “I hate mailing stuff; it gives me anxiety.” Tim was outlining the reasons why he, like 11 other millennials interviewed by the magazine, probably wouldn’t vote in the 2018 midterm election. “The amount of work logically isn’t that much,” he continued. “Fill out a form, mail it, go to the specific place on a specific day. But those kind of tasks can be hard for me to do if I’m not enthusiastic about it.”

Tim goes on to admit that some friends had helped him register to vote, and he planned to probably make it happen for the midterms. But his explanation — even though, as he noted, his struggle in this case was caused in part by his ADHD — triggered the contemporary tendency to dunk on millennials’ inability to complete seemingly basic tasks. Grow up, the overall sentiment goes. Life is not that hard. “So this is the way the world ends,” HuffPost congressional reporter Matt Fuller tweeted. “Not with a bang but with a bunch of millennials who don’t know how to mail things.”

Explanations like Tim’s are at the core of the millennial reputation: We’re spoiled, entitled, lazy, and failures at what’s come to be known as “adulting,” a word invented by millennials as a catchall for the tasks of self-sufficient existence. Expressions of “adulting” do often come off as privileged astonishment at the realities of, well, life: that you have to pay bills and go to work; that you have to buy food and cook it if you want to eat it; that actions have consequences. Adulting is hard because life is hard — or, as a Bustle article admonishes its readers, “everything is hard if you want to look at it that way.”

Millennials love to complain about other millennials giving them a bad name. But as I fumed about this 27-year-old’s post office anxiety, I was deep in a cycle of a tendency, developed over the last five years, that I’ve come to call “errand paralysis.” I’d put something on my weekly to-do list, and it’d roll over, one week to the next, haunting me for months.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: How Millennials Became The Burnout Generation
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 11:28:29 pm »
I'll read this later so I can refute Dexters excuses.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 11:29:52 pm »
A Millennial tries to understand why they are lazy losers. Her excuses are hilarious and her take aways are embarrassing. Millennials are bums because they are "burned out" from being overwhelmed from doing nothing. They are just misunderstood as well because laziness is a provincial construct. I had to read some of this shit twice to see if it was an onion piece. Nope. She's serious.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 11:30:21 pm »
I'll read this later so I can refute Dexters excuses.

LOL. God Speed brother.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 11:33:47 pm »
I've read about the difficulty they have with mail. Those stamps are so icky sticky, and then you have to go to the trouble of putting the envelope in a mail box! I'm only human!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 11:34:26 pm »
LOL. God Speed brother.

He is a chew toy.  ! 888high58888

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2019, 11:53:41 pm »
“Fill out a form, mail it, go to the specific place on a specific day. But those kind of tasks can be hard for me to do if I’m not enthusiastic about it.”

Master Tim, what do you when you receive a bill?

(he probably pays them all over the net, sigh...)

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 12:00:51 am »
I've read about the difficulty they have with mail. Those stamps are so icky sticky, and then you have to go to the trouble of putting the envelope in a mail box! I'm only human!

Mail box??? 

Sexist.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 12:32:14 am »
“Fill out a form, mail it, go to the specific place on a specific day. But those kind of tasks can be hard for me to do if I’m not enthusiastic about it.”

What bills does someone living in their mothers basement have to pay? Pot transactions are usually cash.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 01:25:39 am »

I'm sure all financial transactions are online. You wouldn't want him to risk  a paper cut writing a check,  would you?

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 03:11:17 am »
"his struggle in this case was caused in part by his ADHD"

Turning a guy who is already missing a bunch of teeth on his timing belt into a prescription Speed Freak isn't going to turn him into Clark Kent either.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 04:05:23 am »
"How Millennials Became The Burnout Generation"

I hope this is a joke.  Before I retired several years ago, I had a handful of these (1) self indulgent (2) entitlement driven (3) lazy bums working for me.  I mostly saw the tops of their heads those years since their eyes and their thumbs were hermetically sealed to their electronic devices.

They had to be constantly stroked for doing even routine work.  And ask one to go above and beyond occasionally?  Good luck with that.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2019, 04:08:27 am »
A Millennial tries to understand why they are lazy losers. Her excuses are hilarious and her take aways are embarrassing. Millennials are bums because they are "burned out" from being overwhelmed from doing nothing. They are just misunderstood as well because laziness is a provincial construct. I had to read some of this shit twice to see if it was an onion piece. Nope. She's serious.

Lucky us.  Guess who gets to take care of our ass in the nursing home the next 30 years.   
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2019, 07:14:43 am »
Nothing a good war couldn't fix.

Think about it, this is probably the longest period in history where we haven't been involved in a major war.  The wars we've had since Vietnam have been relatively small, and have been with an all-volunteer military.  Something to be said for requiring young men to serve in the military, in terms of making them grow up and gain some real perspective.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2019, 12:02:51 pm »
GROW UP: Prof finds students delay adulthood
Jon Street
on Jan 06, 2019 at 3:06 PM EDT
* A Georgia Tech professor says she discovered through a course on "adulting" that students define "adulthood" differently than previous generations.
* The professor found out from students that they would only consider themselves to become "adults" after having children of their own.

When does one become an "adult"?

Legally speaking, one is an "adult" when they turn 18. That would mean since college students are between the ages of 18-22, virtually every college student is, in turn, an "adult." But some college students aren't so sure of this.

"It wasn't graduated from college, it wasn't getting your first job.. you're paying your own rent, you have your health insurance. That's what I think being an adult is."   

Rebekah Fitzsimmons, a Georgia Tech University English professor who taught a course in fall 2016 titled, "Adulting: Coming of Age in 21st Century America," told Business Insider  recently that during the course she asked students to say at what stage in life one becomes an "adult."

Their responses were shocking.

"The vast majority of them said that they thought it was when you had kids of your own," Fitzsimmons said. "It wasn't graduated from college, it wasn't getting your first job. I joked with him that my definition was, you're paying your own rent, you have your health insurance. That's what I think being an adult is."

"But they said, you know, once you have kids, that's it — you're definitely an adult," Fitzsimmons added. ...  Campus Reform

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2019, 01:01:48 pm »
"The vast majority of them said that they thought it was when you had kids of your own," Fitzsimmons said. "It wasn't graduated from college, it wasn't getting your first job. I joked with him that my definition was, you're paying your own rent, you have your health insurance. That's what I think being an adult is."

"But they said, you know, once you have kids, that's it — you're definitely an adult," Fitzsimmons added.
And consider how many of my generation and the one immediately before me are putting off childbearing until their 30s. The ones a few years older always had the resources to do it since they got into the job market pretty easily, but they wanted to live the lives of DINKs or SINKs--double/single income, no kids. I still know married couples in their 30s who have no interest in children but love to travel all over the world every few months.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2019, 06:25:10 pm »
"How Millennials Became The Burnout Generation"

I hope this is a joke.  Before I retired several years ago, I had a handful of these (1) self indulgent (2) entitlement driven (3) lazy bums working for me.  I mostly saw the tops of their heads those years since their eyes and their thumbs were hermetically sealed to their electronic devices.

They had to be constantly stroked for doing even routine work.  And ask one to go above and beyond occasionally?  Good luck with that.
"I mostly saw the tops of their heads those years since their eyes and their thumbs were hermetically sealed to their electronic devices."

People who lived and died before the current fixation with I-phones and other electronic devices would be stunned to come back and view American life as now seen in homes, restaurants, and other places where people gather.
The wife and I are constantly amused when dining in restaurants to see tables full of young people  (adults/adolescents) all of them staring at their devices  studiously pressing buttons, talking to someone else on their devices,  or doing whatever.
I wonder how many of them actually have real conversations anymore.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 10:39:53 pm by goatprairie »

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2019, 06:37:15 pm »

The wife and I are constantly amused when dining in restaurants to see tables full of young people  (adults/adolescents) all of them staring at their devices  studiously pressing buttons, talking to someone else,  or doing whatever.
I wonder how many of them actually have real conversations anymore.
They were probably texting each other at the table.  We have raised an entire generation who are socially retarded.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2019, 01:28:15 am »
dfw mused:
"Something to be said for requiring young men to serve in the military, in terms of making them grow up and gain some real perspective."

C'mon.
Can you imagine these snowflakes in boot camp?
With someone like Lee Ermey for a drill sergeant?

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2019, 04:06:57 am »
dfw mused:
"Something to be said for requiring young men to serve in the military, in terms of making them grow up and gain some real perspective."

C'mon.
Can you imagine these snowflakes in boot camp?
With someone like Lee Ermey for a drill sergeant?

Never saw a more uneven movie in my life (Full Metal Jacket)
1st hour in boot camp was absolutely classic, flawless and brilliant.
Afterwards?  ridculous garbage.  It's like Kubrick wrote two different movies and had a shot gun wedding.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2019, 04:19:13 am »
Lucky us.  Guess who gets to take care of our ass in the nursing home the next 30 years.

That is why I am pushing my elected officials to legalize very late term abortion.......somewhere around age 80 or 85 when I can't operate efficiently anymore.