Author Topic: Trump says he's pushing for steel barrier instead of concrete wall amid standoff with Dems  (Read 3552 times)

Offline corbe

Trump says he's pushing for steel barrier instead of concrete wall amid standoff with Dems

By Brett Samuels  - 01/06/19 03:31 PM EST

President Trump said Sunday that he's instructed officials in his administration to push for a steel barrier along the southern border rather than concrete wall amid an ongoing standoff with Democrats over the structure.

"We've been in touch with a lot of people and i informed my folks to say that we'll build a steel barrier, steel, that it will be made out of steel, that it will be less obtrusive and stronger," Trump told reporters at the White House upon returning from Camp David.

Trump said steel would "give us great strength," and suggested that Democrats opposed a concrete barrier.

<..snip..>

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/424080-trump-says-hes-pushing-for-steel-barrier-instead-of-concrete-wall-at
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline corbe

By Valentines Day (if this is still going on) we'll be down to this (and the Trumpers will proclaim how wondrous it is).

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Better go with concrete, or they will steal the wall and sell it for scrap.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
So what was already passed and is already being build via the secure fence act.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
 I don't care what it's made of...so long as it's centered on a 20 ft wide moat stocked with alligators

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
   By Valentines Day (if this is still going on) we'll be down to this (and the Trumpers will proclaim how wondrous it is).

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Steel is ok,but concrete is better. I doubt the muckity-mucks in congress have given this any thought,but people can easily climb steel walls if they strap magnets to their hands and feet.

And,of course,the answer to this is pressure sensitive pads that turn on the electricity.

Still,it adds to the cost.

Concrete would be better,which is why the Dims oppose it.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline corbe

We will return after a brief word from our sponsor:

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Steel is ok,but concrete is better. I doubt the muckity-mucks in congress have given this any thought,but people can easily climb steel walls if they strap magnets to their hands and feet.

If they just strap those magnets to their hands and feet and try to climb a steel fence without some sort of lever releases on those magnets, they'll just be stuck on the walls.

Some outfit will have to make a whole lot of magnetic climbers for them.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer

Well, we know the southern side of it will look good. All the landscapers are on that side.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline libertybele

I don't care what it's made of...so long as it's centered on a 20 ft wide moat stocked with alligators

Aligators and one side, drones flying overhead and a mine field on the other side .... that ought to do it!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
If they just strap those magnets to their hands and feet and try to climb a steel fence without some sort of lever releases on those magnets, they'll just be stuck on the walls.

Some outfit will have to make a whole lot of magnetic climbers for them.

@Elderberry

Well,yes,and no. If the wall is smooth enough,a climber with magnets could just slide them up,over,and back down.

And there have been magnets with releases made from decades. I have seen and used them myself,but can't remember what I used to them for at this late date.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Hard to electrify concrete.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Duhhhhhh. Good thing it's not necessary because magnetic climbing devices won't work with concrete,ain't it?

Offline corbe

So I'll put you in that category @sneakypete that thinks we'll get anything other than rhetoric for the next two years. 

Disclaimer: I fix my own damn home and mow my own grass.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil

It would still beat the broken down fence we have now.  I think we probably all have seen the illegal immigrants pulling back the piece of metal and coming right in.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

So I'll put you in that category @sneakypete that thinks we'll get anything other than rhetoric for the next two years. 

Disclaimer: I fix my own damn home and mow my own grass.

I am sure it is a much better job too.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

Electrified steel would work.  And they can have the slats come to a sharp stake at the top.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

There are no 'Trumpers' @corbe    There are NTers and rational people ... two different species altogether.

Trump mentioned Steel in his speech while referencing how he saved the steel industry.

Going from cement to steel is not downsizing.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Chosen Daughter

I already saw some images awhile back of new steel panels that were already rusted.

Offline Smokin Joe

There are no 'Trumpers' @corbe    There are NTers and rational people ... two different species altogether.

Trump mentioned Steel in his speech while referencing how he saved the steel industry.

Going from cement to steel is not downsizing.
Steel has scrap value. Concrete does not. One is more likely to be 'scrounged'.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline libertybele

Steel has scrap value. Concrete does not. One is more likely to be 'scrounged'.

How about steel slats reinforced with concrete?
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Smokin Joe

Anything which makes it tougher to 'harvest' the steel...

C S Lewis

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
I already saw some images awhile back of new steel panels that were already rusted.

Wow @Chosen Daughter   Have you seen any other images lately?
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@libertybele

You have it backwards. Steel is put into concrete forms before the pour is made to reinforce the concrete.

As for it being new and rusty,don't let that bother you. So is the steel used in bridges and ship-building. The rust can be treated.