Author Topic: Sen. Cruz, Rep. Rooney Propose Constitutional Amendment Which Would Severely Impact Members of Congr  (Read 1315 times)

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Sen. Cruz, Rep. Rooney Propose Constitutional Amendment Which Would Severely Impact Members of Congress

Beth Baumann 

Posted: Jan 05, 2019 8:30 AM

Sen. Ted Cruz (TX) and Rep. Francis Rooney (OK), both Republicans, introduced a Constitutional amendment on Thursday that would place term limits on members of Congress. The amendment would limit U.S. senators to two six-year terms and members of the U.S. House of Representatives to three two-year terms.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/bethbaumann/2019/01/05/sen-cruz-rep-rooney-propose-constitutional-amendment-which-would-severely-impa-n2538543
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline RetBobbyMI

If it impacts members of Congress it will never pass. It will take a Convention of States to get it to a vote of the state’s.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Axeslinger

If it impacts members of Congress it will never pass. It will take a Convention of States to get it to a vote of the state’s.
@RetBobbyMI

Correct...but you gotta build momentum amongst the people first.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Online libertybele

[/quote

The opportunity to call a 'conservative' Convention of States  sailed long ago and now with an increase of liberal legislators it would be a huge mistake.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline RetBobbyMI

[/quote

The opportunity to call a 'conservative' Convention of States  sailed long ago and now with an increase of liberal legislators it would be a huge mistake.
Legislators cannot have a seat at a Convention of the States
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline RetBobbyMI

@RetBobbyMI

Then starting in Congress isn’t the right move.

Online libertybele

Legislators cannot have a seat at a Convention of the States

???

A convention to propose amendments to the United States Constitution, also called an Article V Convention or amendments convention, called for by two-thirds of the state legislatures, is one of two processes authorized by Article Five of the United States Constitution whereby the United States Constitution may be altered.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
???

I think he meant congressional legislators. In an Article V convention, the required number of states would propose and ratify the amendment, bypassing Congress. It was very close to happening in the early 20th Century, with the 17th Amendment. Rather than be embarrassed by that (new states in favor were being introduced), Congress began the process themselves.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 02:37:29 am by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision

I think he meant congressional legislators. In an Article V convention, the required number of states would propose and ratify the amendment, bypassing Congress. It was very close to happening in the early 20th Century, with the 17th Amendment. Rather than be embarrassed by that (new states in favor were being introduced), Congress began the process themselves.
And right in 1969, Everett Dirksen came within one state of protecting the states' republican form of government with a Convention of States after the Warren Court decided to (impolite word) it up. Then he died, and all those legislatures the Warren Court reengineered started repealing the resolutions.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Chosen Daughter

It will certainly be interesting to see what happens with this.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
Hate to pour water on your enthusiasm, but NOTHING will happen.

First off, the law is moronic.  12 years for Senators and six years for members of the House, right there is reason enough for House members to say screw that notion.  They should have written it such that it was the same number of years as a limit.  This provision is guaranteed failure. 

And I thought Cruz was smart.

Offline the_doc

@RetBobbyMI

Right.

Offline jpsb

Grand standing, political theater by two phonies. Ted when will you learn to stop playing games?

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Yes, it "impacts members of Congress",  but, more to the point, artificial term limits represent a restriction on the sovereignty of the people to choose the representatives they want.

Why should I be told I cannot vote again for a representative I like and support?    Let's not just assume that voters need to be held by the hand.

Sorry, Sen. Cruz,  this bill ought to be DOA.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

What would the Senate look like today without the 17th Amendment?

https://constitutioncenter.org/blog/what-would-senate-look-like-without-the-17th-amendment
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
What would the Senate look like today without the 17th Amendment?

The overall numbers might be better, but that doesn’t necessarily equate to quality senators. Overall numbers aren’t important, if it’s a group composed of people like McCain, Collins, and Flake. The reason why the 17th got proposed and ratified was due to corruption at the time. Candidates were buying off key state legislators to get the positions. It was thought, at the time, buying an election from the populous was less feasible. Now, they buy votes with handouts.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.