Author Topic: This Is What Life Without Retirement Savings Looks Like  (Read 9301 times)

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: This Is What Life Without Retirement Savings Looks Like
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2019, 07:15:52 pm »
And btw... that fancy pill you was taking for the hep... how much per hit? something like 700 bucks? that same pill costs under 10 bucks anywhere but here. Jussayin

It was $1000 per pill. One pill a day for 80 days. The other one was $220 for one month of pills. They made me buy enough for 90 days, but only took those for 80 days. That was 7 of those per day.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2019, 07:16:32 pm »
In fact @Sanguine , you hit the head of the nail right here:

This is one of the very many benefits of family, and why family needs to be promoted instead of torn down...

That should be a future goal, but what do we do with those here now?

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2019, 07:23:54 pm »
That should be a future goal, but what do we do with those here now?

All we can do is what we are doing - but to fix it, that's the thing... and it will right itself by attrition over time.

That is why single parent households and bastard children are such a bane.
That is why women in the workforce is such a bane.
That is why taxing inheritance and property is such a bane.
That is why social security is such a bane.

All of these destroy family and its purpose. They each remove responsibilities that used to be taken up by family (or at least by local community and church), freeing them for other pursuits.

Liberty has responsibilities.
Freedom has consequences.

If you want liberty...

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2019, 07:28:31 pm »
As a caveat. @roamer_1

The drug manufacturer gave me the expensive one on the recommendation of my liver MD. I kicking was at death's door. They say it cured me. I had Type II. The most common is Type I. Same treatment for 96 days. $96000.

The doc told me most insurance wouldn't cover it. And the ones that would, would only go half.

And you are right. Full treatment price in India was $700-$900. Here, $80,000-$96,000.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2019, 07:31:51 pm »
And you are right. Full treatment price in India was $700-$900. Here, $80,000-$96,000.

That's the point right there.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2019, 09:00:29 pm »
Some people try to save but have bad luck ther entire lives through no fault of their own.  Major illness in family, long term job layoffs etc.

We have 40% of the population making meager wages who just get by every week.  No education and no ambition to improve themselves.

@mirraflake

The sad,sad truth is that it is hard to actually get a useful education in many cities,even if you have ambition. Schools seem to be more about indoctrination than education.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2019, 09:08:48 pm »

You are stone-dead-wrong. It's all a lie - and what happened to me could happen to anyone.

@roamer_1

People who are lucky enough to have led charmed lives tend to believe everyone is so lucky.

It just ain't so. All it takes is a family illness not covered by insurance,and you are screwed.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2019, 09:10:35 pm »
7% is the average stock market return, adjusted for inflation, for the years 1950 theough 2010 I believe.

@RoosGirl

How many blue collar workers did know in the 40's or 50's that played the stock market from the savings on their 2 dollar an hour jobs?

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2019, 09:14:50 pm »
@roamer_1

People who are lucky enough to have led charmed lives tend to believe everyone is so lucky.

It just ain't so. All it takes is a family illness not covered by insurance,and you are screwed.

That's right @sneakypete ... and they will all find out, sooner or later, the nature of the lie.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2019, 09:19:46 pm »
All we can do is what we are doing - but to fix it, that's the thing... and it will right itself by attrition over time.

That is why single parent households and bastard children are such a bane.
That is why women in the workforce is such a bane.
That is why taxing inheritance and property is such a bane.
That is why social security is such a bane.

All of these destroy family and its purpose. They each remove responsibilities that used to be taken up by family (or at least by local community and church), freeing them for other pursuits.

Liberty has responsibilities.

If you want liberty...

I would hate to think how things would have turned out had I not been able to work when I became a widow. 

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2019, 09:38:58 pm »
I would hate to think how things would have turned out had I not been able to work when I became a widow.

That is not what I mean, and is false btw - My dear old Aunt spent her life unmarried, and a spinster living with my grandparents...When she died, her 50-flat apartment building was put in trust to provide education for every kid in the family past me. Her business dealings were made in the 50s and 60s, so the idea that women COULD NOT be in the work force is nonsense. That was never so.

It is a distraction from the truth in that most women should not work if they can help it, because the things the women do, and have done since the beginning of time, go wanting.

Care of the children, care of the elderly, growing and gathering good food, jamming local charities and daily church business... all of it goes wanting.

Uncle Nanny takes care of the old folks now... Uncle Nanny raises and educates the children... Uncle Nanny handles the charity work, and community is defined and governed from DC... So now the women are FREE to work.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2019, 09:43:33 pm »
@roamer_1

1. My life was planned, not charmed or lucky. That's why you do a budget and marry someone who is good with money. The great thing about retirement accounts is that people can't get to them. If you leave them alone, they grow.
2. That's why we have always had medical insurance, even if it was COBRA. It used to be a lot cheaper though.
The stories of people who are broke through not fault of their own are so few, it is hard to find them. I have a friend who is that way because of her ex-husband(and giving her kids money) but she could still snag her a rich widower if she tried.  She's young(54), trim and a nympho. My sister is pursued by lots of wealthy men but she only likes the broke ones.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2019, 09:49:04 pm »
That is not what I mean, and is false btw - My dear old Aunt spent her life unmarried, and a spinster living with my grandparents...When she died, her 50-flat apartment building was put in trust to provide education for every kid in the family past me. Her business dealings were made in the 50s and 60s, so the idea that women COULD NOT be in the work force is nonsense. That was never so.

It is a distraction from the truth in that most women should not work if they can help it, because the things the women do, and have done since the beginning of time, go wanting.

Care of the children, care of the elderly, growing and gathering good food, jamming local charities and daily church business... all of it goes wanting.

Uncle Nanny takes care of the old folks now... Uncle Nanny raises and educates the children... Uncle Nanny handles the charity work, and community is defined and governed from DC... So now the women are FREE to work.

You and I disagree completely on this. 

Offline corbe

« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2019, 09:52:02 pm »
   Can I PM you my phone number to pass on to you Friend @Restored
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2019, 10:08:53 pm »
7% is the average stock market return, adjusted for inflation, for the years 1950 theough 2010 I believe.

Don't forget savings accounts back when she entered the work force Paid around 3% interest and by 1986 most were 5% or higher.  Moving money from a simple interest Savings account into CD's also earned higher rates.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2019, 10:11:01 pm »
You and I disagree completely on this.

I know.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2019, 10:12:49 pm »
@RoosGirl

How many blue collar workers did know in the 40's or 50's that played the stock market from the savings on their 2 dollar an hour jobs?

Since i wasn't alive until sometime in the 70's I'm going to have to go with none.  Does that make my statement incorrect?  Does that make @Hoodat wrong?  Not all.

My grandfather quit school in the 7th grade. Grandmother in the 11th grade.  He was a carpenter and was born in 1921.  They told stories of renting to own a coffee maker when they were first starting out.  And yet they planned for their retirement in a variety of ways by scraping together and saving whatever they could. And were able to retire comfortably until their death.

Yes, some people through no fault of 5heir own fall on hard times. But a lot of people fail to plan

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2019, 11:01:33 pm »
   Can I PM you my phone number to pass on to you Friend @Restored

She's taking care of her mother in SC but my sister is available.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2019, 11:09:44 pm »
This thread took an icky turn.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2019, 11:22:07 pm »
Compound interest, savings, dividends have been around for a long time.

My surveyor (blue collar) grandfather taught me about investing, stocks etc.

He had learned from his father.

When you come from families that weathered TWO World wars, the 1929 Crash, the Depression chances are they were careful, and have little sympathy for those that were not.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2019, 11:28:26 pm »
1. My life was planned, not charmed or lucky. That's why you do a budget and marry someone who is good with money. The great thing about retirement accounts is that people can't get to them. If you leave them alone, they grow.
2. That's why we have always had medical insurance, even if it was COBRA. It used to be a lot cheaper though.
The stories of people who are broke through not fault of their own are so few, it is hard to find them. I have a friend who is that way because of her ex-husband(and giving her kids money) but she could still snag her a rich widower if she tried.  She's young(54), trim and a nympho. My sister is pursued by lots of wealthy men but she only likes the broke ones.

It used to be a lot cheaper though.

And that is the killer.

Now, many places won't treat you unless you can pay.
The great thing about retirement accounts is that people can't get to them.

If the Democrats take control in 2020, they are going to be coming for that.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2019, 11:34:33 pm »
I like to think I have plans. But shit happens.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2019, 11:39:40 pm »
And that is the killer.

Now, many places won't treat you unless you can pay.
If the Democrats take control in 2020, they are going to be coming for that.

My previous job was with a very small office.  We had 6 total including the owner, but he set us all up with insurances and 401k.  The investment guy was in one day checking on all of us individually and he laughed at me when I said I would be surprised if I could access my 401k when I retired.  At the time I had about 30 years before I could touch it.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2019, 12:05:38 am »
Restored wrote:
"My sister is the same way. She works just to make payments. I pay $30 a month for a cell phone and she pays $200."

$200 a month? Yipes!

BTW, I pay $30 PER YEAR for my cell phone...

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2019, 02:41:12 am »
I know.

The difference is that I actually know what I'm talking about.

22222frying pan
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 02:41:57 am by Sanguine »