Author Topic: Earth Is Drifting Away From The Sun, And So Are All The Planets  (Read 1075 times)

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Earth Is Drifting Away From The Sun, And So Are All The Planets
« on: January 04, 2019, 08:55:56 pm »
The word that Mrs. Bronson is unable to put into the hot, still, sodden air is 'doomed,' because the people you've just seen have been handed a death sentence. One month ago, the Earth suddenly changed its elliptical orbit and in doing so began to follow a path which gradually, moment by moment, day by day, took it closer to the sun. And all of man's little devices to stir up the air are now no longer luxuries—they happen to be pitiful and panicky keys to survival. The time is five minutes to twelve, midnight. There is no more darkness. The place is New York City and this is the eve of the end, because even at midnight it's high noon, the hottest day in history, and you're about to spend it in the Twilight Zone.

This sign post is relative:

On January 3rd, 2019, Earth reached the point in its orbit where it's at its closest approach to the Sun: perihelion. Every object orbiting a single mass (like our Sun) makes an ellipse, containing a point of closest approach that's unique to that particular orbit, known as periapsis. For the past 4.5 billion years, Earth has orbited the Sun in an ellipse, just like all the other planets orbiting their stars in all the other mature solar systems throughout the galaxy and Universe.

But there's something you may not expect or appreciate that nevertheless occurs: Earth's orbital path doesn't remain the same over time, but spirals outward. This year, 2019, our perihelion was 1.5 centimeters farther away than it was last year, which was more distant than the year before, etc. It's not just Earth, either; every planet drifts away from its parent star. Here's the science of why.

The force responsible for the orbits of every planet around every solar system in the Universe is the same: the universal law of gravitation. Whether you look at it in terms of Newton, where every mass attracts every other mass in the Universe, or in terms of Einstein, where mass-and-energy curves the fabric of spacetime through which other masses travel, the largest mass dominates the orbit of everything it influences.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2019/01/03/earth-is-drifting-away-from-the-sun-and-so-are-all-the-planets/#5b46713a6f7d

The poles of fear, the extremes of how the Earth might conceivably be doomed. Minor exercise in the care and feeding of a nightmare, respectfully submitted by all the thermometer-watchers in the Twilight Zone.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online rustynail

Re: Earth Is Drifting Away From The Sun, And So Are All The Planets
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 09:01:06 pm »
All those Green House Gasses are causing the Earth to float away.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 09:13:52 pm »
All those Green House Gasses are causing the Earth to float away.

But if we can get all those Marines to tip Guam over, will that shift the weight of the Earth enough to make it go closer again?
The Republic is lost.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 09:24:28 pm »
But if we can get all those Marines to tip Guam over, will that shift the weight of the Earth enough to make it go closer again?

No no no.  If everyone on earth would run counter clockwise at the same time we could stop the earths rotation and reverse it to return to our normal place in the heavens.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 10:31:14 pm »
No no no.  If everyone on earth would run counter clockwise at the same time we could stop the earths rotation and reverse it to return to our normal place in the heavens.

Hmmmm, I'm not so sure. I need to talk to Alexandria O-C about that, see what she thinks.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 01:10:53 pm »
Hmmmm, I'm not so sure. I need to talk to Alexandria O-C about that, see what she thinks.

She sees moving farther from the sun as the answer to global warming and has come up with a plan to reduce the mass of the earth by launching trillions of dollars into space...
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 01:13:21 pm »
When I read the headline, the Paul Simon song "Slip Sliding Away" popped into my head.