Author Topic: Is habitat restoration actually killing plants in the California wildlands?  (Read 820 times)

rangerrebew

Is habitat restoration actually killing plants in the California wildlands?

By Kara Manke| January 2, 2019

In 2014, plant biologists with the California Department of Agriculture reported an alarming discovery: native wildflowers and herbs, grown in nurseries and then planted in ecological restoration sites around California, were infected with Phytophthora tentaculata, a deadly exotic plant pathogen that causes root and stem rot.

While ecologists have long been wary of exotic plant pathogens borne on imported ornamental plants, this was the first time in California that these microorganisms had been found in native plants used in restoration efforts. Their presence in restoration sites raised the frightening possibility that ecological restoration, rather than returning disturbed sites to their natural beauty, may actually be introducing deadly plant pathogens, such as those related to Sudden Oak Death, into the wild.

https://news.berkeley.edu/2019/01/02/is-habitat-restoration-actually-killing-plants-in-the-california-wildlands/

Offline skeeter

Maybe I'm being naive here but wouldn't just clearing the land and stepping back be the best most cost effective manner of restoring a natural habitat?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Maybe I'm being naive here but wouldn't just clearing the land and stepping back be the best most cost effective manner of restoring a natural habitat?

That would not provide employment to people who major in Ecology.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Maybe once, but there are so many imported plants that the seeds are spread by wind and birds that the native vegetation has little chance without help. Sadly it appears that these experts are just as inept as our federal government.

Offline Joe Wooten

Maybe once, but there are so many imported plants that the seeds are spread by wind and birds that the native vegetation has little chance without help. Sadly it appears that these experts are just as inept as our federal government.

Most of them ARE federal employees or contractors......