Author Topic: Will Hurd: The U.S. needs a reset in its relations with Saudi Arabia - Will Hurd  (Read 422 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Will Hurd: The U.S. needs a reset in its relations with Saudi Arabia
Special to the Washington Post

The writer, a former CIA officer, is a Republican who represents Texas' 23rd Congressional District. This originally appeared in the Washington Post.

Fifteen months ago in Riyadh, I met Mohammed bin Salman, who was then deputy crown prince of Saudi Arabia, for the first time. During that meeting, I heard bin Salman say something I had never heard an Arab leader admit before - that Islamist extremism is a problem within Islam and must be solved by Muslims with the help of Western democracies. At the time, I never would have thought the crown prince would be implicated in the gruesome murder of a journalist.

After becoming crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman began implementing much-needed social reforms in Saudi Arabia, including allowing women to drive and reopening movie theaters for the first time in decades. The next time I met him in Washington, he explained the importance of these reforms for revitalizing Saudi society and the economy. After all, a prosperous Saudi Arabia is very much in America's interest. Like so many other Western officials, I had hopes that he would lead Saudi Arabia in a positive new direction free from oppression and political persecution.

The killing of Jamal Khashoggi has largely destroyed those hopes.

Read more at: https://www.omaha.com/opinion/will-hurd-the-u-s-needs-a-reset-in-its/article_27e2e1e7-0af6-505a-b258-dbcee07481bd.html

Offline Right_in_Virginia

This is the same guy who's upset we're leaving Syria.

Please post something where he's right.