Author Topic: The Overloaded Soldier: Why U.S. Infantry Now Carry More Weight Than Ever  (Read 449 times)

rangerrebew

The Overloaded Soldier: Why U.S. Infantry Now Carry More Weight Than Ever

Technology was supposed to be the solution. Instead, it added to the problem.

By David Hambling   
Dec 26, 2018

In this era of computerized conflict, dominated by cyberwarfare, laser weapons, and piloting drones from halfway around the world, it can be easy to overlook the importance of a soldier's own muscle power. Despite the relentless march of technology—and in some ways, because of it—soldiers on the march are carrying more weight on their backs than ever before, even going back to the days of swords and armor.

What the heck happened? Over the last decade, hyped technologies such as robotic mules and wearable exoskeletons promised to free up soldiers from hauling so much gear. Instead, the demands of the modern battlefield only increased the load.

This is one problem which technology alone may not be able to solve.

A Heavy History

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/research/a25644619/soldier-weight/
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 01:05:01 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: The Overloaded Soldier: Why U.S. Infantry Now Carry More Weight Than Ever
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 04:32:17 pm »
Soldiers might bitch about it in training,but you ain't going to find any that will bitch about carrying all the ammo,grenades, and armor they put on and still stand up when going off to battle.  For example,my basic load of ammo and explosives was 38 loaded magazines of .223 for my CAR-15,two canteen pouches full of the Dutch "mini-grenades",a white phosphorous grenade on one suspender,a K-BAR knife taped upside down on the other,and a anti-tank mine in my rucksack,"just in case".

I also had 4 canteens on my pistol belt,and more ammo in my rucksack. Back at the basecamp or launch site I needed help getting back on my feet if I had been sitting and leaning back against the rucksack while resting or taking a nap,but once the helicopters fired up and the adrenaline fired up,I could run fast enough with all that stuff on to take down small trees,and still have the scars on my arms to prove it. Of course,some of them may have been from shrapnel.  At that time your attention tends to be focused on other things.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!