Author Topic: In reversal, White House shifts border wall funding demands, wants to avoid shutdown  (Read 5589 times)

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
It’s a cave, no matter how much lipstick one puts on the pig.

I don't agree with you very often but I do today.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

:dynamite:
   He should have donated the proceeds from his Charity Foundation to the construction of the wall before it was too late.
:dynamite:
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

I’m really getting tired of all this winning

Its really exhausting.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
President Trump has asked all Cabinet agencies to find extra money that could be used to build his border wall, the White House said Tuesday.

White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said Mr. Trump has asked all federal agencies “to look and see if they have money that can be used for that purpose.”

https://amp.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/dec/18/trump-asking-all-federal-agencies-wall-funding/

He’s asking them to do the equivalent of checking coat pockets and couch cushions. What a joke.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Chosen Daughter

President Trump has asked all Cabinet agencies to find extra money that could be used to build his border wall, the White House said Tuesday.

White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said Mr. Trump has asked all federal agencies “to look and see if they have money that can be used for that purpose.”

https://amp.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/dec/18/trump-asking-all-federal-agencies-wall-funding/

He’s asking them to do the equivalent of checking coat pockets and couch cushions. What a joke.

Joke is right.  This really makes me mad.  Really mad.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 03:28:00 am by Chosen Daughter »

Offline Chosen Daughter

So much for all the praise for the Donald, chuck and Nancy show the other day.

Offline DB

What I find amazing is he just wings it from one situation to the next. No larger plan. No anticipation of his opponents moves to counteract them. Nothing organized behind the scenes to carry his plans forward. No preparation prior to announcing this or that.

A few days go by and a complete u-turn on his claimed plans.

Like Emily Litella: Never Mind...

And off to something else.

Offline Chosen Daughter

What I find amazing is he just wings it from one situation to the next. No larger plan. No anticipation of his opponents moves to counteract them. Nothing organized behind the scenes to carry his plans forward. No preparation prior to announcing this or that.

A few days go by and a complete u-turn on his claimed plans.

Like Emily Litella: Never Mind...

And off to something else.

I think some people are slow.  The saying goes fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

Are we double shamed the third time?

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

From personal experience, I can say that near the end of every fiscal year every agency/dept/etc that has money left over goes searching for ways to spend it.  The simple reason is if they don't they fear that they won't get as much in subsequent years.

I wonder how much that adds up to, and I figure border security would be one of the best ways to spend that money.  Of course, paying down the debt would be my first choice, but I just don't see that happening the way the system is set up.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline libertybele

So much for all the praise for the Donald, chuck and Nancy show the other day.

He said he is proud to shut down the government for border security ....... we all watched the video clip.

It's Christmas and they all want to recess for the Christmas break...3 more working days before Christmas Eve and Christmas and 3 working days will be left aftter Christmas before the new Congress is sworn in.

Seriously folks ... anyone really think he's going to get his $$ before then?  The DEMS know that the GOP's majority will be gone in just a few short days...time is on their side. They could care less if the gov't gets shutdown.  They've called his bluff.  So what if it shuts down?? Then what?  Even IF he finds the money, they DEMS will still challenge him in court.  The time for him to have taken action on this would have been immediately after he was sworn in.  2 years have gone by and now he refocuses at the eleventh hour?  Nope.  Wall isn't going to happen.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Limbaugh touched upon this subject this afternoon and he is in disbelief that Trump wouldn't keep this promise.

Well, Rush, I think you and a whole slew of people were duped and are going to be very disappointed.

Meanwhile ... all the avid Trumpsters in here seem to be silent.

I don't really care where he gets the money as long as the wall gets done as he promised.  Waiting patiently ... time is ticking away.

I'm certainly not going to speak for the rest of Platoon.

There's no way that Pres. Trump will go into the 2020 campaign without that bleeping money.  Shit...without construction going full bore.

If he does, it will his "read my lips" moment and kiss the Constitution as written goodbye. 

Therefore...he won't do it.

The $$$ is a minor percentage of the non-discretionary spending petty cash drawer.

Even if he only gets $4B...we could see him writing a personal check for the difference.

The Coup de grace.   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline libertybele

I'm certainly not going to speak for the rest of Platoon.

There's no way that Pres. Trump will go into the 2020 campaign without that bleeping money.  Shit...without construction going full bore.

If he does, it will his "read my lips" moment and kiss the Constitution as written goodbye. 

Therefore...he won't do it.

The $$$ is a minor percentage of the non-discretionary spending petty cash drawer.

Even if he only gets $4B...we could see him writing a personal check for the difference.

The Coup de grace.   :laugh:

@DCPatriot he can write all the personal checks he wants...but the courts can still stop construction.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
@DCPatriot he can write all the personal checks he wants...but the courts can still stop construction.

Not if he makes it a National Security issue.

And he's got to have super powers to skip into the Supreme Court.

Even so, his attitude is..."tis easier to say I'm sorry, than ask permission".

The cranes are moving in baby.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Chosen Daughter

From personal experience, I can say that near the end of every fiscal year every agency/dept/etc that has money left over goes searching for ways to spend it.  The simple reason is if they don't they fear that they won't get as much in subsequent years.

I wonder how much that adds up to, and I figure border security would be one of the best ways to spend that money.  Of course, paying down the debt would be my first choice, but I just don't see that happening the way the system is set up.

The joke is on the voters.  You remember the crowds cheering Donald Trump telling them he is going to stop illegal immigration.  Build the wall.  Its been reduced in importance to whatever they can scrape up and beg for.

Offline Absalom

Breaking one's word is neither forgiven nor forgotten.
Yet the Trump Fan Club has their excuses in a row.
Prediction: Trump will not be re-nominated!!!

Online Right_in_Virginia

Breaking one's word is neither forgiven nor forgotten.
Yet the Trump Fan Club has their excuses in a row.
Prediction: Trump will not be re-nominated!!!

Prediction:  Trump would be the last Republican president!!!

Offline libertybele

Not if he makes it a National Security issue.

And he's got to have super powers to skip into the Supreme Court.

Even so, his attitude is..."tis easier to say I'm sorry, than ask permission".

The cranes are moving in baby.

Very wishful thinking on your part and believe me, I wish it were true.  Again, there is very little time, virtually none, before the new Congress is sworn in and Pelosi takes the reigns again. Secondly, so what if he shuts the government down? People will soon find out, if he does, that not a whole lot happens ... people may not be able to see Yogi at the parks but not much more.

To continue to pretend that he has some kind of super powers is foolish.  He had the majority in both Houses and he blew it along with Lyin' Ryan's help.  At the end of the day, he should have used his super powers as soon as he was sworn in.  To pretend to have a showdown at the last minute is not even entertaining.  The big questions remains, will he simply give his supporters the middle finger and walk away?  He promised a gov't shutdown in order to obtain border security.  We all saw the video clip ... he needs to keep his promise ... but even at that the shutdown will be futile.  The new House won't be budging and the DEMS will once again be in the drivers seat.

Will Trump forgo border wall to avoid government shutdown?

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/will-trump-forgo-border-wall-to-avoid-government-shutdown

Senate Republicans drafting short-term deal to prevent government shutdown

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/18/politics/senate-republicans-shutdown/index.html

The Weekly Watchman: ‘Twas the week of surrender all through the House…

https://www.conservativereview.com/news/the-weekly-watchman-twas-the-week-of-surrender-all-through-the-house/

Senate Republicans More Worried About Government Shutdown Than Wall Funding

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/susan-jones/senate-republicans-more-worried-about-government-shutdown-wall-funding

Offline libertybele

Prediction:  Trump would be the last Republican president!!!

Prediction:  Trump WILL be the last Republican president.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

Selling yourself short. Not only will Trump be the last Pub President, but we just saw the last Republican House. Eventually the Senate will fall to the Dems, and that is that. America will officially be a monoparty government. Oh they will still pretend that there are two parties like do today, but it will not matter. The same as today it will all just be kabuki theater to fool the stupid people.

Prediction: people on the Right will simply stop voting. There is no point to it.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online rustynail

Here comes ¡Ocasio!

Offline libertybele

Selling yourself short. Not only will Trump be the last Pub President, but we just saw the last Republican House. Eventually the Senate will fall to the Dems, and that is that. America will officially be a monoparty government. Oh they will still pretend that there are two parties like do today, but it will not matter. The same as today it will all just be kabuki theater to fool the stupid people.

Prediction: people on the Right will simply stop voting. There is no point to it.

Pretty much what I've been stating.  Once the DEMS accomplish DACA, amnesty and asylum, there will be no turning back.  We will have lost our country.

Right now, Trump is the one who has been holding them back.  At this point in time, it looks doubtful that he's going to be able to continue to do so.

Offline Night Hides Not

If history is a guide, and it damn sure is, the Democrats will overplay their hand similarly to when Obama took office.

IIRC, America was a monoparty when Trump took office. Republicans held majorities in the Legislative Branch, and the White House. Instead of trying to expand the base, Trump chose to remain in attack mode, personally taking shots at anyone not completely with him, to include his staunchest supporters.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline roamer_1

Because there is no longer any appreciable difference.

Offline Chosen Daughter

Pretty much what I've been stating.  Once the DEMS accomplish DACA, amnesty and asylum, there will be no turning back.  We will have lost our country.

Right now, Trump is the one who has been holding them back.  At this point in time, it looks doubtful that he's going to be able to continue to do so.

This is where we disagree.  Trump has only made the matter worse with rhetoric and no action.  Illegal immigration numbers have soared since Trump took office.  The best thing he did was child separation and then he folded and the flood gates opened.  So even last month with all the razor wire and troops immigrants continued to pour in.  The lady  with the children and tear gas........in the United States with her 5 children.  They are still getting in illegally.  They are processing Asylum requests and letting them in.

Holding them back?  I don't think so.

And to make matters worse he just promised to give Mexico and Central America two times the amount he was requesting for the border wall.  Money is easily given away to other countries but we can't even support our own country.  I have a suggestion.  How about we give Americans who raise illegal immigrant families 10 billion.  Yeah, repay us for the illegal taxation.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 02:51:32 pm by Chosen Daughter »

Offline libertybele

This is where we disagree.  Trump has only made the matter worse with rhetoric and no action.  Illegal immigration numbers have soared since Trump took office.  The best thing he did was child separation and then he folded and the flood gates opened.  So even last month with all the razor wire and troops immigrants continued to pour in.  The lady  with the children and tear gas........in the United States with her 5 children.  They are still getting in illegally.  They are processing Asylum requests and letting them in.

Holding them back?  I don't think so.

And to make matters worse he just promised to give Mexico and Central America two times the amount he was requesting for the border wall.  Money is easily given away to other countries but we can't even support our own country.  I have a suggestion.  How about we give Americans who raise illegal immigrant families 10 billion.  Yeah, repay us for the illegal taxation.

The stats of illegal crossings have risen under Trump.  I don't know and couldn't find what the current stats are on the number of asylums granted to the most recent mob wave.  I do know that the bill he signed to make asylum more difficult to obtain was overturned by the court.   He has made attempts to hold them back, and he did send the military to the border.

We shall see if he continues to push back.